Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

I would like to see tourney completed over a 3 week period.

First round..Friday, Saturday and if neccessary Sunday. The better seeded team gets the home ice for a best of 3 series.

2nd round..same thing. Road teams that pull off the upset get a 2-3 days at home before going back on the road on Wednesday.

The 2nd round winners advance to the Frozen Four and you play at the picked site.

I like this for a couple of reasons....
    1. It protects the better seeded teams. The bounce of the puck in one game format can be unpredictable so force the lower seeded teams to win 2 games on the road. 4 #1 seeds have been upset in round 1 of the tourney over the last 2 years.

2. You get sellouts rather than half or 3/4 empty neutral site arenas. Fort Wayne on TV was sad to look at. Pick your favorite school..it's hard to imagine the crowds would not turn out.

3. I would think that the NCAA Would make more money. I guess I could be proven wrong on that. I just assume this would be the case because more ticket sales and cheaper rent.

4. Plus you create an atmosphere. If you have been to an NCAA men's basketball and a men's hockey tourney game...the atmosphere is night and day. There is just little buzz more times than not at these neutral hockey sites.

Comment

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
      2. You get sellouts rather than half or 3/4 empty neutral site arenas. Fort Wayne on TV was sad to look at. Pick your favorite school..it's hard to imagine the crowds would not turn out.
      You don't necessarily get a sellout.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20080...me=cc&gender=m

Comment

I already commented on the cost being the issue.

Other discussions from campus sites to two sites to double elimination all go backward as far as I am concerned. Have been going to the tournament since '82 and have seen the transition from 2 games total goals to best 2 out of 3 to 2 regional sites to 4. Honestly I like the 4 sites! And I like single elimination.

The 2 sites with a Thursday-Saturday and Friday-Saturday is complex, and to ask fans to commit several days for hotels and restaurants is silly, that's what the frozen four is for.

In terms of campus sites agree with others many facilities are to small.

Lower the ticket prices and we'll rebound with bigger crowds. Watching start of BC-Yale in Worcester and crowd again is small despite 2 New England teams within close proximity.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post

Which goes back to ticket prices...
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

any guesstimates on how many are in the DCU Center for the BC-Yale game tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Amherst: 3441 (41% capacity)
              Amherst: 3662 (43%)
              A Saturday/Sunday regional on Easter weekend FWIW.
              Last edited by Lake Whitt; 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FredDavenport View Post
                any guesstimates on how many are in the DCU Center for the BC-Yale game tonight?
                The USCHO blog estimates the crowd at ~5000

Comment

Thanks Much for the quick reply

Ouch!

Was hoping for more with a very good ECAC / Hockey East /New England match-up.

Comment

Originally posted by FredDavenport View Post
                    Thanks Much for the quick reply

Ouch!

Was hoping for more with a very good ECAC / Hockey East /New England match-up.
                    I'm not to surprised. As good as BC is hockey is not there big sport. They have a FBS football team and ACC basketball team. While they may draw decent crowds for home games it does not mean they will travel well even within New England. In terms of getting a large fan contignet to travel I would have expected any other school in Hockey Easy to draw a lot more fans to the DCU with the exception of Merrimack or Providence. The tournament comittee might have been better off shipping BC off to Albany and UNH down to Worcester.

Comment

Is there a way to keep all the east coast school as close to the regionals as possible? I mean, anything over an hour minute drive will require a stop for the night...

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                        Which goes back to ticket prices...
                        Exactly. That was CC's smallest crowd of the season, IIRC. But when a family of four can go to a regular season game there for $50-60, rather than nearly $200 for the Regional, the question answers itself.

I would be at the game in Worcester today if the tickets were more like $30 instead of $47.50, but I had to draw a line somewhere. It's just too much money, even for some of us who are huge hockey fans.
                        Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                        -dggoddard

Comment

We could go back to the east-west bracketing we used to do:

Worcester
                          Friday:
                          Miami vs RIT 4pm
                          UNH vs Yale 7pm

Saturday:
                          BC vs Alaska 1pm
                          Cornell vs Vermont 4pm

Sunday:
                          Friday winners 3pm
                          Saturday winners 6pm

St Paul
                          Friday:
                          Denver vs Huntsville 5pm
                          St Cloud vs Bemidji 8pm

Saturday:
                          Wisconsin vs Michigan 3pm
                          North Dakota vs NMU 6pm

Sunday:
                          Friday winners 5pm
                          Saturday winners 8pm

If you wanted, #1 seeds could all play Friday and #2 seeds on Saturday to give them an advantage. Times are flexible, too.

The point is, a pair of 3-day/8-team regionals could work and attendance would be solid. Fans would be able to see up to six games.

Comment

And unless you beat the NCAA with a smart stick, those 6 game ticket packages are going to cost over $150 per person. They will look like the men's basketball tournament 1st two rounds, where you have 8 teams at each arena, and the stands are still half-empty.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              And unless you beat the NCAA with a smart stick, those 6 game ticket packages are going to cost over $150 per person. They will look like the men's basketball tournament 1st two rounds, where you have 8 teams at each arena, and the stands are still half-empty.
                              To say nothing of the hotel situation.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                They should have tiered pricing - not all seats are created equal. $150 for center ice for 6 games isn't bad ($25/game) but the same is not true for end zone seating or the nosebleeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X