Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

Ticket prices are way too high!! And why aren't there two price structures when in big arenas likes the Times Union Center. No way in halibut are the seats in upper levels anywhere near as good as the lower levels. $82 for three games when you might be in the upper sections.

I don't know about other leagues, but I know a lot of Hockey East fans go to the EOY Tournament at the Boston Garden every year. That's not an inexpensive endeavor either. I have friends that would be crucified by their wives if they took off for another weekend and spending that kind of money again.

Here's a frame of reference for me -- The America East Basketball tournament (combined men's and women's this year) with 13 games at the University of Hartford was $75. The Big East Women's Basketball Tournament with 16 teams participating over five days at the Hartford Civic Center is $99. I know I can go see the Hartford Wolfpack for under $15. I buy a season ticket to UNH Basketball for $60. I buy a season ticket for UNH Football for $85.

$45 for one college hockey game today in Albany. And then throw in parking, food, hotel, gas, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
      The main problem with this is forcing venues to clear yet another weekend in addition to the two they have to keep available for conference tournaments. Ohio State doesn't even bother booking their home ice for the CCHA playoffs. Imagine the NCAA having to play a regional in OSU Ice Arena.

One would have to assume the Buckeyes could even earn a one seed but point made. Empty buildings all over the country this weekend wouldn't make anybody happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
        I think the regionals need to be moved to other venues (in the east anyway) besides the same ol Albany & Worcester. Manchester is OK. Portland Maine would make an awesome location. Close to the Boston fan base. Ton of bars, restaurants and hotels all within walking distance of the civic center. On the ocean. Something needs to be done. It looked like there were 2000 in Albany. Sad. Move it around and shake it up a little. I think that would help. Draw a little more interest traveling to a different place besides the same two cities every year.
        The Times Union article today says there was about 4100 people there. I think tonight it will be more like 2500 because Cornell had the biggest fan base. I think Albany is not a good venue. The city has nothing going on. I know they select it because it geographically central but other then that it's a wash.

There is no real simple solution. College hockey will never draw big crowds at the regional level. Playing in semi pro rinks doesn't work for me. The ice was awful here in Albany yesterday.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

The ticket prices are a big factor keeping me from Albany this weekend. Plus, I would have had to miss most of the first game before I could get there. If the prices keep me away, as a long-time college hockey fan and tournament regular who once went to all games in both the Worcester and Providence regionals in the same year, they're definitely not going to get the casual fan looking for a fun night of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            If Olympic hockey can be played like that, college hockey can. Not to mention the high school tournaments that play 4 in a day.
            As noted, the Olympics only played 3 games a day in one venue - the 4th game was in the other venue. They also were either playing without overtime at all (in the opening round) or with a short OT and a shootout in the later rounds.

The other factor is the fans - turning around a building of that size isn't as easy for a full college crowd as it is for a high school crowd.

4 games a day isn't realistically possible.

Originally posted by gdart_s View Post
            Has it ever been proposed to have the 1 seeds host the regionals? You completely eliminate travel costs for 4 teams, are more likely to have fanbases interested in paying for tickets, and eliminate issues of 2, 3, and 4 seeds having home ice advantage.

Could make life harder for TV, but they don't do the best job anyway. May end up in some smaller venues, but if the big ones aren't selling out anyway.
            There are also a whole host of logistical issues. You'd basically have to ask teams with multipurpose or leased arenas to block that space out well in advance. That's not easy to do if you're going to keep the regionals on fixed dates. Likewise, what happens if a team earns a #1 seed with an arena that's not suited to host 4 teams in a regional? You need the requisite number of locker rooms, seats, etc.

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            The pricing seems appropriate to me. Denver regular season games run almost $30 per game, and that's what the regional tickets cost....
            With all due respect, the evidence is right in front of your eyes, Swami. And that's a lot of empty seats.

You also have to remember that it's not just the hockey game, but travel on short notice for fans - the expenses add up fast.
            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

While its hard to be critical of a host - and a place like the Xcel is fantastic - 7300 people in Green Bay next would be a much better atmosphere than last night.

Now, I say fully knowing if Wisconsin isn't there, such a crowd might be tough to come by. Point is, with no guarantee of the Gophers, an 18000 seat bdg might be the issue as much as format.

The St Louis regional scares me attendance-wise.

I like 16 teams and this format. But maybe 8000-12000 seat bdgs are more appropriate.
              St. Norbert College Green Knights
              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              ---
              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

And then there's Fort Wayne, which Paula has estimated at 2,000. Assume attendance improves for the Michigan game...3000 people won't be great atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                  I like 16 teams and this format. But maybe 8000-12000 seat bdgs are more appropriate.
                  I'd certainly agree - the high prices are only exacerbated by all the excess tickets floating around.

The problem, however, is the NCAA's preference for off-campus sites. You're not going to find too many 8,000 seat rinks that are well positioned to draw college hockey fans that aren't already someone's home rink.

The NCAA can't have it both ways - if they want butts in the seats, then you're likely going to end up with situations where a host school will have advantages over higher seeds.

Put yesterday's crowd from the X into Mariucci and you'd have a much better atmosphere.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    How's this format:

Friday in Worcester:
                    RS1: Denver vs RIT 4pm
                    RS2: Cornell vs UNH 7pm

Saturday in Worcester:
                    RS3: Boston College vs Alaska 1pm
                    RS4: North Dakota vs Yale 4pm

Sunday in Worcester:
                    RF1: RIT vs UNH 1pm
                    RF2: BC/UAF vs UND/Yale 4pm

Friday in St Paul:
                    RS1: Miami vs UAH 5pm
                    RS2: Bemidji vs Michigan 8pm

Saturday in St Paul:
                    RS3: Wisconsin vs Vermont 2pm
                    RS4: St Cloud vs NMU 5pm

Sunday in St Paul:
                    RF1: Miami/UAH vs BSU/UM 3pm
                    RF2: Wisconsin vs St Cloud 6pm
                    The only problem I see here is too much overlap for TV schedules. Not sure whether that matters to the NCAA.

What bugs me is every regional I've been to in Albany, it's like the city has no clue that anything's even taking place in town. No banners or anything set up ahead of time around the arena, nothing to stir up interest, and I remember one year wandering all up and down Pearl Street and the surrounding area Saturday, or maybe a Sunday, morning trying to find some place open where you could get something to eat before the early game started. None of the businesses either knew, or cared, enough to open early to cater to the numbers of fans who would be there for the games.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      The only problem I see here is too much overlap for TV schedules. Not sure whether that matters to the NCAA.

What bugs me is every regional I've been to in Albany, it's like the city has no clue that anything's even taking place in town. No banners or anything set up ahead of time around the arena, nothing to stir up interest, and I remember one year wandering all up and down Pearl Street and the surrounding area Saturday, or maybe a Sunday, morning trying to find some place open where you could get something to eat before the early game started. None of the businesses either knew, or cared, enough to open early to cater to the numbers of fans who would be there for the games.
                      is that's a concern you can either stagger the friday games by 2 hours and/or tweak the saturday/sunday games a bit more... the only issue with late sunday games are in relation to travelling fans and teams returning for monday but generally i don't think its a critical flaw.

To me the big thing is that under the old system you had 4 games... now you have 3 so it becomes a bit less of an event for an outsider. I'd like to see the 8 team regionals as discussed because they would have people around and make it more of an event altogether.

The big question is does two 4000 attendence figures line up with 1 7,000 attendance figure?

I know Worcester can be banged out... I've seen it... but who knows to be honest.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Worcester: 6572
                        Albany: 3737

Comment

I'm not sure all 8 teams at one site would really help attendance... personally in the current format, I dont even go to all of the game that "my team" is not playing in... I cant imagine I'd go to 4 games.... and I wonder what the price would be for the package?

Location, timing and price are all issues. A friday night game in Albany is still a long haul from just about any Hockey East team, short of taking Friday off... not to mention Albany IMO is not a very compelling city to visit. Neither is Worcester, but at least it is only an hour from several HE teams...

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post

I know Worcester can be banged out... I've seen it... but who knows to be honest.
                            But what game was it banged out for? The only times i've seen the regionals banged out in either Worcester or Manchester was when there were 2 eastern teams playing... BU / BC or BU / UNH etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              But what game was it banged out for? The only times i've seen the regionals banged out in either Worcester or Manchester was when there were 2 eastern teams playing... BU / BC or BU / UNH etc etc
                              we're going back to 2002 or so... i think the thing is in the east is that its the sole focus of hockey activity... now split between two locations.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                The times I saw it banged out Maine was playing!

Was there today and stated this on another forum! They can't be charging $47.50 per ticket for one day! Or $85 for the weekend, it's just too much to attract a walk-up crowd. In the arena were signs for $5 tickets for kids to see the Sharks in the AHL. If your a family of four that likes hockey are you going to spend $200 for a day or $40?????

NC$$ needs to realize what the rest of us know already, the economy $ucks and people don't have that kind of $ for a leisure day, so just the diehards attend. When my kids were young we all went to the games, now just me. Same with Hockey East we all used to go, and now if Maine is not in championship either no one goes or I just go with friends.

Have heard this before "It's the economy stupid" (not you eric). Lower the prices and they will come!

Comment

Working...
                                X