Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

I don't think it is just having the same price for all seats (and ND charged less for the nosebleeders that no one bought in FWA anyway) but the idea of having to pay for 6 games now and not just 3 if we go to two regionals. 3 is a hard enough sell. So many people are going for their team and their team only. They aren't looking at it like "Hey I got 3 games for my 90 bucks in Fort Wayne." They're saying "I have to pay 90 bucks to see Miami twice?" I wish people looked at it like it is great to see all the teams, all the games. But realistically, if there are 5000 people at a regional, it is more like 2000 for one game and 3000 for the nightcap.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      I don't think it is just having the same price for all seats (and ND charged less for the nosebleeders that no one bought in FWA anyway) but the idea of having to pay for 6 games now and not just 3 if we go to two regionals. 3 is a hard enough sell. So many people are going for their team and their team only. They aren't looking at it like "Hey I got 3 games for my 90 bucks in Fort Wayne." They're saying "I have to pay 90 bucks to see Miami twice?" I wish people looked at it like it is great to see all the teams, all the games. But realistically, if there are 5000 people at a regional, it is more like 2000 for one game and 3000 for the nightcap.
      They can also do two-day or single game ticket packages. They're smart (not the NC$$ but the arena managers) when it comes to marketing - just look at the AHL promotions. Get rid of the "minimum price" bull**** and let the marketers do their thing.

Comment

I think a better idea than a super regional would be just playing the games in cities that aren't armpits (like Worcester and Albany).

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by vellnueve View Post
          I think a better idea than a super regional would be just playing the games in cities that aren't armpits (like Worcester and Albany).
          They can't play in Manchester every year

Comment

The hotel requirements of a superregional would be a good way to ensure that regionals stay in major metro areas. $.02
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Yes, lets skip the 2nd largest city in New England so that your sensibilities aren't offended. We can play this up in the Cumberland County Concrete Center and other places which have smaller capacities.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                And unless you beat the NCAA with a smart stick, those 6 game ticket packages are going to cost over $150 per person. They will look like the men's basketball tournament 1st two rounds, where you have 8 teams at each arena, and the stands are still half-empty.
                Those 4 games are, and always have been split up into two sessions, day and night which have two different tickets. If they were to go to super regionals, they'd likely do the same thing and we'd be right back where we started.
                time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Yes, lets skip the 2nd largest city in New England so that your sensibilities aren't offended. We can play this up in the Cumberland County Concrete Center and other places which have smaller capacities.
                  Why not in the largest city in New England?

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Attendance in Worcester today was 6054 (41% capacity)

Comment

• Re: NCAA Regionals - Time to Go Back to 2 Sites?

Why not in the largest city in New England?
                      because i doubt we could fill the Garden... IMO... 9K or higher... Manchester works... I think Providence works... Worcester... etc.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

because i doubt we could fill the Garden... IMO... 9K or higher... Manchester works... I think Providence works... Worcester... etc.
                        Do Agganis or Conte have the facilities to host a regional?

Agganis is 6300 capacity; Conte 8600. We don't need 14,000+ seat arenas.
                        Last edited by Priceless; 03-28-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I think I agree... but I wonder how much the city itself would be a draw to getting a bigger crowd to travel? To some, the "excuse" of the hockey game to come spend the weekend in the city, might be enough to get more people to come... I dont think you get that dynamic in Albany, Worcester, Manchester.

That might be an argument to have these in big cities.... Its a stretch I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Do Agannis or Conte have the facilities to host a regional?
                            What is required to host a regional?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              What is required to host a regional?
                              Someone can provide a more extensive list, but the capacity is a major point. I don't know that the NCAA has ever said what capacity is needed, but we really don't need to book huge arenas that are half full, especially when there are reasonable substitutes available.

I know they need 4 locker rooms, plus one or two rooms for the refs, they also need video replay (which I think most rinks have now anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Someone can provide a more extensive list, but the capacity is a major point. I don't know that the NCAA has ever said what capacity is needed, but we really don't need to book huge arenas that are half full, especially when there are reasonable substitutes available.

I know they need 4 locker rooms, plus one or two rooms for the refs, they also need video replay (which I think most rinks have now anyway).
                                Agganis has all of those I'm sure. Not sure if the capacity of 6224 would meet the requirement.

Comment

Working...
                                X