Clarkson recruit problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clarkson recruit problems

One would think, any association with these kids to your program is not a good thing.
    A trial doesn't sound good for these young men, and a plead of ignorance regarding the "age of consent" in New York State won't help them.
    Sounds like a messy deal all the way around.
    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

This recruit article notes that they haven't had their hearing yet.........their status remains unclear.
      http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...9957/-1/sports
      Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
      I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        Regarding the two recruits, I suspect that the devil is in the details. If whatever happened was consensual, the players may not have been aware of New York's more restrictive laws. I would not condemn these guys, or the institution that recruited them, until all the details are known.
        I agree, that would be the best way. If we all have learned anything from the Duke lacross case, these kids are innocent until proven guilty.

Originally posted by firebush View Post
        It seems like that is one of Clarkson's problems. They don't care about the "quality" of the person. As a person who lives in Potsdam, I have seen Clarkson's program go downhill even though they are bringing in recruits who have been drafted and as labled as a player. I have seen them out at bars and many of them act like idiots; very disrespectful to employees and other patrons (mainly because they are Clarkson hockey players). I have a hard time believing that Clarkson could justify bringing in these guys after what they have been accused of, especially if they are "ordinary" players. Clarkson's hockey program needs a shot in the arm but this is not it.
        Not saying Miami's way is the be all end all but our coaching staff has put a strict emphasis on character and it has paid off. There have been very good players they went away from because of issues and a player who had been committed with a LOI signed they pulled a scholi from because of an incident. Just saying I think it is a solid way to go to put added emphasis on character. It helps with team chemistry and provides a more positive atmosphere all around, all just my opinion.

Originally posted by 1timer View Post
        I was told by a player that Roll told him he had 3 Dmen coming in for next season. If you check Chris Heisenburg's web site listing all D1 recruits it only lists 1, Pratt coming in 2010. This leads me to believe that both McEachen and Ciccarello who are Dmen are still coming in 2010. Heisenburgs site is always up to date so I think Roll is just trying to bring them in under the radar. McEachen played this season for the Wellington Dukes in the OJAHL, 4 goals 17 assists. Ciccarello played this season in the EJHL for the Green Mountain Glades putting up 3 goals 17 assists.
        Interesting note is that Pratt,McEachen and another recruit Zarbo all played for Wellington this season. I would suspect that Roll had a lot to do with all three being on this team, makes keeping track of them and watching them alot easier.
        As for the other player in the ordeal,Sakaris, he played this season accross the boarder for Nepean Raiders and is still listed on Heisenburgs web site to come to Clarkson in 2011.
        As for my thoughts about bringing these players back after the incident last summer I can't in my right mind understand why Roll would still want them in Potsdam. What kind of message is he sending, that character doesn't matter. That this is acceptable behavior for a Golden Knight hockey player!! I don't care if McEachen is related to someone high up the food chain in pro hockey he shouldn't be allowed back. As for Ciccarello I've seen him play several times and he is a very ordinary player. There are many, many that could fill his roll playing in the CJHL,EJHL and other leagues close to Potsdam.
        Heisenberg is pretty spot on, if a guy has signed a LOI or is committed somewhere he has them listed. If they aren't listed I would think it is safe to say there are no intentions of having them on campus. It would be tough to have them fly under the radar if they have signed LOI because that is made public. Only way is if they are recruited walk on's but even those guys heisenberg has been spot on with.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

It is easy as a recruiter to bring in skilled hockey players, but much harder
          to find skilled players with high character. Although much easier than bringing in "student/athletes" in BB & FB from the inner cities, hockey is such a "niche" sport and such a small percentage of the elite athletes can actually even stand up on skates, there are only so many prospects available in the pool.
          Academic requirements at RPI, Michigan Tech, and Clarkson and limited majors that an academically challenged player can take make filling the roster
          difficult. Let's face it, hockey players drink beer - always have, always will. If they act like jerks or "entitled" (a word used for jocks who let us down like Tiger Woods), it means that either the coaches haven't done their homework, or, more likely, they have taken a chance on a recruit that they believe has changed his way. It's hard to bring in a gifted player that won't be a "one and out" Freshman who bolts to the NHL, just as it is to find one who will survive academically.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            I'm not sure what you mean by "grade programs" but RPI hockey players are getting it done in a big way in the classroom (if not on the playoff ice)... The last several RPI teams have had numerous (12+) players earning Dean's List / All-Academic honors in the ECAC which includes the Ivies. Last year's team had an APR (Academic Progress Rate) in the top 10% nationally. This year's RPI team has at least 5 Engineering majors and likely will again have multiple Dean's Listers.

I'd be surprised if Clarkson had one Engineering major on the squad. Some would argue that the academics standards at the two schools are not equal.

As far as Juneau is concerned, he had his share of growing pains at RPI - including his own admission that thanks to the language barrier - he failed (badly) the first two tests he ever took at RPI. With help from language tutors he recovered quickly and earned his Aero. Eng. degree with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

Francophone players clearly have an uphill battle when they attend rigorous academic schools. While their numbers are not large, RPI has not shied away from recruiting these kids...the Angers-Goulet brothers and incoming recruit Jacob Laliberte being the latest examples.
            Well said. Ivies are difficult to get into and difficult to flunk out of. They also have a broader range of majors from which to choose, making it a bit easier to find a place for a player you really want.

As for Clarkson; good school, but not quite in the same ball park as RPI.

Comment

If Roll sticks by these guys and anyone of them have any off ice "incidents" during their stay in Potsdam it will more than likely be lights out for george. I think he would be crazy to take that gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                Well said. Ivies are difficult to get into and difficult to flunk out of. They also have a broader range of majors from which to choose, making it a bit easier to find a place for a player you really want.

I agree. Miami's senior class all graduated with GPA's over 3.2.....and they are the Ivy of the west!
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I have always thought of RPI, Clarkson, an Michigan Tech as equivalent D1 hockey schools, with top shelf engineering programs. The best payer I saw
                  at Ckarkson never played a game - Richie St. Laurant. Never got academically eligible. BTW, back in my day, circa Ned Harkness, RPI always had a very competitve team, for the first semester, until grades came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post

If you think that RPI recruits from different pools of hockey players than Clarkson, you are mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by drewcu View Post
                      If you think that RPI recruits from different pools of hockey players than Clarkson, you are mistaken.
                      They might be from the same pool, but RPI kids swim in the deep end.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                      X