Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson recruit problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clarkson recruit problems

    I was just talking with someone yesterday who asked me what happened to the Clarkson recruits who got in trouble last summer? Since I didn't have an answer I thought I would ask all of you. Has anyone heard any recent news or was this just "swept under the rug"? I hope not because the charges were pretty serious, if I remember right.

  • #2
    Re: Clarkson recruit problems

    I was told by a player that Roll told him he had 3 Dmen coming in for next season. If you check Chris Heisenburg's web site listing all D1 recruits it only lists 1, Pratt coming in 2010. This leads me to believe that both McEachen and Ciccarello who are Dmen are still coming in 2010. Heisenburgs site is always up to date so I think Roll is just trying to bring them in under the radar. McEachen played this season for the Wellington Dukes in the OJAHL, 4 goals 17 assists. Ciccarello played this season in the EJHL for the Green Mountain Glades putting up 3 goals 17 assists.
    Interesting note is that Pratt,McEachen and another recruit Zarbo all played for Wellington this season. I would suspect that Roll had a lot to do with all three being on this team, makes keeping track of them and watching them alot easier.
    As for the other player in the ordeal,Sakaris, he played this season accross the boarder for Nepean Raiders and is still listed on Heisenburgs web site to come to Clarkson in 2011.
    As for my thoughts about bringing these players back after the incident last summer I can't in my right mind understand why Roll would still want them in Potsdam. What kind of message is he sending, that character doesn't matter. That this is acceptable behavior for a Golden Knight hockey player!! I don't care if McEachen is related to someone high up the food chain in pro hockey he shouldn't be allowed back. As for Ciccarello I've seen him play several times and he is a very ordinary player. There are many, many that could fill his roll playing in the CJHL,EJHL and other leagues close to Potsdam.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Clarkson recruit problems

      It seems like that is one of Clarkson's problems. They don't care about the "quality" of the person. As a person who lives in Potsdam, I have seen Clarkson's program go downhill even though they are bringing in recruits who have been drafted and as labled as a player. I have seen them out at bars and many of them act like idiots; very disrespectful to employees and other patrons (mainly because they are Clarkson hockey players). I have a hard time believing that Clarkson could justify bringing in these guys after what they have been accused of, especially if they are "ordinary" players. Clarkson's hockey program needs a shot in the arm but this is not it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Clarkson recruit problems

        This is storied program in College Hockey, to bad.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Clarkson recruit problems

          Hope you get your program back on track (..but not too much. ) as the ECAC would not be the ECAC without Clarkson in the mix..
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Clarkson recruit problems

            Wow... Juha. Why are there no Clarkson fans beating their chests about this commitment? This is a huge get.
            scsuhockey.com
            CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Clarkson recruit problems

              There are some good kids coming in as well, such as Mike Garlasco. I know his family and they're good people.
              Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
              I flex a real hard juice card.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                Wow... Juha. Why are there no Clarkson fans beating their chests about this commitment? This is a huge get.
                I think it's because most of the CCT fans post primarily on their own Forum. If you want to read their thoughts on recruits, etc., just do a Google Search for Clarkson RoundTable. It's a great site and even some SLU fans such as me chose to and are allowed to post there without getting thrown out (at least not yet).
                GO SAINTS.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                  Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                  I think it's because most of the CCT fans post primarily on their own Forum. If you want to read their thoughts on recruits, etc., just do a Google Search for Clarkson RoundTable. It's a great site and even some SLU fans such as me chose to and are allowed to post there without getting thrown out (at least not yet).
                  We never throw out former SLU assistant coaches. or members of the SLU Class of 1977.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                  ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

                  Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                  I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                    Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    We never throw out former SLU assistant coaches. or members of the SLU Class of 1977.
                    Gotta love that 0-0-1 record. Was Class of '76 but should of been '74.
                    GO SAINTS.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Clarkson recruit problems

                      I'm a '68 graduate. Clarkson has always had "issues" finding quality D1 players who could academically "cut it". In my four years there, they had a French speaking player, Richi St. Laurant, who may have been the best player in thoses years who never saw game action because of grades. The combination of the language barrier and possibly lack of effort did him in. At that time Clarkson didn't have an majors, other than possibly Buiness, that was less academically rigorous than the engineering & science majors. Clarkson academically was/is similar to RPI, who also had the same problem. I remember being at the rink doing my Compuware Junior hockey job at Christmas time and buming into then RPI head coach, Buddy Powers. When I asked him what brought him out at holiday time, he said "I'm looking for another Joe Junneau." Joe came to RPI speaking little to no English, and left for the NHL with a degree in Aironautical Engineering. I commented that they don't make that combination of skills very often. Clarkson & RPI have had a high rate of players with grade programs than most of the D1 schools. The Ivy league teams, however, naturally attract high academic student/atheles,
                      and most are their for an education and to play hockey.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                        Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                        Gotta love that 0-0-1 record. Was Class of '76 but should of been '74.
                        HARRY AIKENS!!!!

                        Sara is '77
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                        ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

                        Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                        I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                          Regarding the two recruits, I suspect that the devil is in the details. If whatever happened was consensual, the players may not have been aware of New York's more restrictive laws. I would not condemn these guys, or the institution that recruited them, until all the details are known.
                          Last edited by RSTuthill; 04-11-2010, 12:24 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                            Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                            I'm a '68 graduate. Clarkson has always had "issues" finding quality D1 players who could academically "cut it". In my four years there, they had a French speaking player, Richi St. Laurant, who may have been the best player in thoses years who never saw game action because of grades. The combination of the language barrier and possibly lack of effort did him in. At that time Clarkson didn't have an majors, other than possibly Buiness, that was less academically rigorous than the engineering & science majors. Clarkson academically was/is similar to RPI, who also had the same problem. I remember being at the rink doing my Compuware Junior hockey job at Christmas time and buming into then RPI head coach, Buddy Powers. When I asked him what brought him out at holiday time, he said "I'm looking for another Joe Junneau." Joe came to RPI speaking little to no English, and left for the NHL with a degree in Aironautical Engineering. I commented that they don't make that combination of skills very often. Clarkson & RPI have had a high rate of players with grade programs than most of the D1 schools. The Ivy league teams, however, naturally attract high academic student/atheles,
                            and most are their for an education and to play hockey.
                            I'm not sure what you mean by "grade programs" but RPI hockey players are getting it done in a big way in the classroom (if not on the playoff ice)... The last several RPI teams have had numerous (12+) players earning Dean's List / All-Academic honors in the ECAC which includes the Ivies. Last year's team had an APR (Academic Progress Rate) in the top 10% nationally. This year's RPI team has at least 5 Engineering majors and likely will again have multiple Dean's Listers.

                            I'd be surprised if Clarkson had one Engineering major on the squad. Some would argue that the academics standards at the two schools are not equal.

                            As far as Juneau is concerned, he had his share of growing pains at RPI - including his own admission that thanks to the language barrier - he failed (badly) the first two tests he ever took at RPI. With help from language tutors he recovered quickly and earned his Aero. Eng. degree with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

                            Francophone players clearly have an uphill battle when they attend rigorous academic schools. While their numbers are not large, RPI has not shied away from recruiting these kids...the Angers-Goulet brothers and incoming recruit Jacob Laliberte being the latest examples.
                            Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Clarkson recruit problems

                              Originally posted by firebush View Post
                              I was just talking with someone yesterday who asked me what happened to the Clarkson recruits who got in trouble last summer? Since I didn't have an answer I thought I would ask all of you. Has anyone heard any recent news or was this just "swept under the rug"? I hope not because the charges were pretty serious, if I remember right.
                              All three defendants entered not guilty pleas and the case appeared to be heading to trial. I'll stand corrected, but I've heard nothing so far regarding a settlement or plea bargains.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X