Albany Watering Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Albany Watering Holes

Is this place still there, forget the name, but it was at the northern end of Pearl Street, around the corner I guess on Orange Street, across from a parking lot, had a gangster type name, like Capone's Hideaway, or something like that.

Edit: Ah, i think it was called The Big House. Doesn't look like it's there anymore. Nice spot though, if there's a new place in that space, might be worth checking out.

There was also some kind of bar/upstairs dance club place dpwn on Broadway up toward the Orange Street side, that a bunch of the Michigan group and I went to one night quite a few years ago.

We had a good time there, but the company helped a lot in that department. Course this was quite a few years ago, and doubtful that these places are still there knowing the restaurant biz. Did like the Bayou though, too.
    Last edited by rufus; 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

a 3 min drive from south pearl street
      is the beer garden it has the best beer
      http://www.yelp.com/biz/wolffs-biergarten-albany

free buckets of peanuts darts and table tennis
      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Is this place still there, forget the name, but it was at the northern end of Pearl Street, around the corner I guess on Orange Street, across from a parking lot, had a gangster type name, like Capone's Hideaway, or something like that.

Edit: Ah, i think it was called The Big House. Doesn't look like it's there anymore. Nice spot though, if there's a new place in that space, might be worth checking out.

There is nothing in that space anymore. Since the Big House closed, it was named the Skyline. That closed as well. They are working on a new place, which hasn't opened yet. However, if you go past the old Big House site on North Pearl, take a left at that corner and at the end of that block is a nice little bar called the Victory Cafe, its off the main drag so shouldn't be too crowded.
        Last edited by DavidSec17; 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Another place to go is Red Square right near the arena.
          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

If you're wearing a coat and tie and button down shirt to the games, a good upscale place is "Jack's" on lower State Street, not much of a walk from the TUC. Good salmon and NY strip steak as well as filet mignon. White table cloth style, and dimly lit. May not be for you if you're looking for a quick beer and burger... Food is great at a "reasonable" price. Plan on a couple of hours for dinner.
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Not mentioned so far is Franklin Towers on Broadway, a 5 minute walk from TUC. Good food and drink. The SUNY crowd stays away.

Comment

Working...
              X