• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vizoroo
    replied
    Re: Show me the money--Players turning pro

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    Denver's Rakhshani signed with Islanders and Wercioch leaves early, signing with Ottawa

with the signings, denver, between graduation and early defections, has lost 4 of it's top 5 scorers including the top 3 forwards and top defenseman...
    RRC line
    Rakhshani and Ruegsegger to graduation--both completed graduation requirements at the end of winter quarter. BTW Ruegs had a 3.95 overall GPA. Rakhshani expected to be in Bridgeport Saturday night. Ruegsegger is a Leafs draft choice.

First round pick Colborne got $785k/$1.1 mil with bonuses, 3yrs with Bruins and is expected to be in Providence Friday night.

2nd round pick Dman Wiercioch got a 3 year contract from the Sens. $$ weren't announced.

Most DU fans expected Colborne and Wiercioch would not stay for 4 years, but it is a disappointment that they have played their last game for the Pioneers.

Rumors abound that All WCHA, CHN All American, Poty (WCHA, CHN) Goalie of the year (INCH) Junior Marc Cheverie will also go pro. Chevy, a Florida draft pick, could take advantage of the "Wheeler Rule" (4 years since being drafted) and become a free agent this summer.
    Wait and see. Pins and needles.
    Last edited by vizoroo; 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied

Denver's Rakhshani signed with Islanders and Wercioch leaves early, signing with Ottawa

with the signings, denver, between graduation and early defections, has lost 4 of it's top 5 scorers including the top 3 forwards and top defenseman...
    Last edited by gscott13; 04-02-2010, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• allnightwong
    replied

Quinnipiac's 09-10 Captain Jean Marc Beaudoin has signed with Bakersfield of the ECHL.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
    Risky yes but if the kid is on a full ride, that is not expensive. At an Ivy school, which you say you are from, it might make sense for a kid to leave and go back later - due to the lack of athletic scholarships. At a school where the school is footing the expense, especially 100% of the expense this might not be the case.

By staying in school, the player might have the chance to 1) finish school and close out that chapter of their lives, 2) get stronger in weight room (if that was needed), 3) get more confidence playing in more vital roles on your college team (PP, PK, etc) versus playing in a diminshed role on a AHL team or worst case, because the game is a business now, at the ECHL level.
    My "analysis" (if you want to dignify it with that term) did not figure in the cost of tuition, so I've already assumed the kid is on a full ride. If he's paying $50k per year for school on top, then the net cost of 3 extra years of school goes from $2M to $2.15M, an insignificant difference. The real cost is in the shortening of the NHL career and in the delaying of that career (time value of money).

The positive factors of staying in school that you mention are valid; the question is whether they are worth $2M?

Leave a comment:

• Nevergoodenough
    replied

I'm not going to dispute this, HOWEVER, I would like to "ask the experts" what happens to the kid that doesn't make it up to the big league. Can you recalculate all of this based on the player that signs, but ends up in the AHL with a few trips up.. If I understand any of this, I know that signing for around $900,000 is based on playing a certain number of games in the NHL, and that this is reduced if the player stays in the AHL.

I'm not advocating that a player should stay in college, nor that they should sign early. This is something that each and every player/family must weigh on their own terms and not what some think is an absolute. Until we are actually in the shoes of someone (player/parent/advisor) it's all just an academic excercise. However, I did like the quote and that's why I posted it. All of this is a journey and what happens, happens..

Leave a comment:

• observer85
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Ha - fair point.

No matter the specific numbers, staying in school is ridiculously expensive and risky. I'd never advise my own kid to do it, and I'm 4th generation Ivy League on both sides of my family.

Edit: as an engineer, I just can't leave that hanging. With 40% taxes taken out, the cost of those three years of school is $2M instead of $5M.
    Risky yes but if the kid is on a full ride, that is not expensive. At an Ivy school, which you say you are from, it might make sense for a kid to leave and go back later - due to the lack of athletic scholarships. At a school where the school is footing the expense, especially 100% of the expense this might not be the case.

By staying in school, the player might have the chance to 1) finish school and close out that chapter of their lives, 2) get stronger in weight room (if that was needed), 3) get more confidence playing in more vital roles on your college team (PP, PK, etc) versus playing in a diminshed role on a AHL team or worst case, because the game is a business now, at the ECHL level.

Leave a comment:

• WildKitty
    replied

UNH's Bobby Butler (that Hobey candidate at the top of the scoring chart) is playing with Ottowa for the rest of the season, then finishing his degree over the summer. Something about sports managment or policy or something. 3.6 GPA, or so I've heard!

As far as anyone else at UNH, I can't say. My heart is still broken.

You think I'd get used to it...

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by wasmania View Post
    Speaking of being not much of an economist, how does one save 80% of something they only net 60% or so of after taxes?
    Ha - fair point.

No matter the specific numbers, staying in school is ridiculously expensive and risky. I'd never advise my own kid to do it, and I'm 4th generation Ivy League on both sides of my family.

Edit: as an engineer, I just can't leave that hanging. With 40% taxes taken out, the cost of those three years of school is $2M instead of $5M.
    Last edited by LynahFan; 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wasmania
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Sandelin may be a great coach, but he's no economist.

Say you're a 20-year old stud finishing your freshman year who can sign for the rookie max (~900,000 for 3 years). Let's also say that your NHL career will be over at age 35 no matter whether you stay in college or not, and you turn out to be a solid, but not spectacular player, so your NHL salary is ~$1.5M for the years not covered by your entry level contract. Since you ARE an economist, you are frugal and invest 80% of your salary each year at 5% interest. If you jump for the NHL right away, your "nest egg" at retirement will be ~$23M. If you stay in school for 3 more years, your rookie contract will only be 1 year, but you'd only have 12 seasons above the rookie max instead of 13, plus you'd lose 2 years of income at the rookie max. By the time you retire going this route, your nest egg is only ~$18M, so staying in school for those 3 years cost you $5M.

Would you pay $5M to enjoy the "journey" of three years in college? I certainly wouldn't - that's equivalent to a tuition bill of $1.7M per year. There is absolutely no way you could convince me that is worth the price.

And this is BEFORE you factor in the injury risk from ~120 more games played and goodness knows how many practices (not to mention the pool parties!).
    Speaking of being not much of an economist, how does one save 80% of something they only net 60% or so of after taxes?

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
    That actually is a pretty good article. The best part was the last paragraph:

"Sandelin agrees. “The best line I ever heard was that some kids don’t enjoy the journey; they’re worried about the destination. To me that’s what it’s all about when you’re playing hockey, or anything. You’ve got to enjoy the journey, and the destination will be there whenever. But everyone seems to want to get to the destination without enjoying the journey.” "
    Sandelin may be a great coach, but he's no economist.

Say you're a 20-year old stud finishing your freshman year who can sign for the rookie max (~900,000 for 3 years). Let's also say that your NHL career will be over at age 35 no matter whether you stay in college or not, and you turn out to be a solid, but not spectacular player, so your NHL salary is ~$1.5M for the years not covered by your entry level contract. Since you ARE an economist, you are frugal and invest 80% of your salary each year at 5% interest. If you jump for the NHL right away, your "nest egg" at retirement will be ~$23M. If you stay in school for 3 more years, your rookie contract will only be 1 year, but you'd only have 12 seasons above the rookie max instead of 13, plus you'd lose 2 years of income at the rookie max. By the time you retire going this route, your nest egg is only ~$18M, so staying in school for those 3 years cost you $5M.

Would you pay $5M to enjoy the "journey" of three years in college? I certainly wouldn't - that's equivalent to a tuition bill of $1.7M per year. There is absolutely no way you could convince me that is worth the price.

And this is BEFORE you factor in the injury risk from ~120 more games played and goodness knows how many practices (not to mention the pool parties!).

Leave a comment:

• District Attorney
    replied

Congratulations this article is fantastic!!

Leave a comment:

• Nevergoodenough
    replied

That actually is a pretty good article. The best part was the last paragraph:

"Sandelin agrees. “The best line I ever heard was that some kids don’t enjoy the journey; they’re worried about the destination. To me that’s what it’s all about when you’re playing hockey, or anything. You’ve got to enjoy the journey, and the destination will be there whenever. But everyone seems to want to get to the destination without enjoying the journey.” "

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Add NMU's Erik Gustafsson to the list. Signed with Philly!

Leave a comment:

• brightonjohn
    replied

Excellent article here with lots of information why so many college players are departing early to go pro.

http://www.minnesotahockeyjournal.co...8_college.html

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

According to INCH, both Mark Olver (NMU) and Cam Talbot (UAH) both have given up collegiate eligibility to sign pro contracts today.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...gnees_0910.htm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X