• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gscott13
    replied
    Re: Show me the money--Players turning pro

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Is INCH really behind on the pro signees or has nobody really signed since April first?
    probably behind given the focus on the ff last week...

Leave a comment:

• SCSU Euro
    replied

Is INCH really behind on the pro signees or has nobody really signed since April first?

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    Maybe it's better for Stevenson not to be associated with a Division I college hockey team. The list of pro prospects and their ranking reveals only one college candidate, a Harvard recruit at #40 in the 100 or so prospects identified.
    How many former Division I hockey players played in the NHL last year? For that matter, how many Division I dropouts played in the NFL last year? Is the talent in Junior Hockey far superior to the talent in Division I college hockey? Are colleges selling Division I recruits a bill of goods concerning either their chances of earning an education or furthering their hockey careers by matriculating? Such deception would rank pretty low. These are just kids, you know.
    ah, five kids who won the national championship at BU last year have played in the nhl this year....

or were you talking about some other professional hockey league?!?!

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Maybe it's better for Stevenson not to be associated with a Division I college hockey team. The list of pro prospects and their ranking reveals only one college candidate, a Harvard recruit at #40 in the 100 or so prospects identified.
    There are only 3 or 4 current NCAA hockey players, from what I quickly browsed through, in the top 150 of the NHL CSS Rankings. Why you ask? Well that's because most players get drafted before they begin playing NCAA hockey.

There are ~6 USA U-18 players in the top 50, who I can almost guarantee will play atleast 1 season in the NCAA, most probably more than that. There were several others in the Canadian and American junior leagues who will also likely be coming stateside to play NCAA hockey.

The other issue at hand here, is the whole OHL/QMJHL vs NCAA hockey, which is another can of worms completely, and really shouldn't even be mentioned. Both have their benefits, both have their drawbacks, neither one is truly better than the other as a rule, it is more of a case-by-case scenario. As an example, only because I am familiar with them, let's take the Bogosian brothers: Zach and Aaron. Zach went from Cushing Academy to Peterborough of the OHL, while his brother Aaron went from Cushing to Cedar Rapids (USHL) to St. Lawrence (ECAC). Zach, when he left Cushing, had a very good chance to get drafted high and chose the OHL as his developmental path. Aaron, who is a good player in his own right, was not likely to be drafted, and thus decided to go the college route and get an education while playing 30 minutes from home, and still might play beyond his college days after next year. Both will be very successful in life, despite them taking 2 completely different routes.
    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 04-10-2010, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

How many former Division I hockey players played in the NHL last year? For that matter, how many Division I dropouts played in the NFL last year? Is the talent in Junior Hockey far superior to the talent in Division I college hockey? Are colleges selling Division I recruits a bill of goods concerning either their chances of earning an education or furthering their hockey careers by matriculating? Such deception would rank pretty low. These are just kids, you know.
    I'd be curious to see this "list" you're referencing, because I can guarantee any credible list has more than one college player on it.

267 players that have played in the NHL this year have also played college hockey, which is almost 1/3 of the total players in the league.

Leave a comment:

• Osorojo
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Incoming SLU '14 recruit Dustin Stevenson is forgoing 4 years of eligibility to sign with the Capitals on a 3 year entry-level deal. At 6'5, 220 lbs, he would have been a great addition in the ECAC, however we will never know how great.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524061

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm sure mileage varies, but I've heard an MBA referred to as "the C student's graduate degree" in several places.
    I've never heard that before, but I like it. Unfortunately, I will probably have to get one in the next several years if I want to move into a manager postion here at work. I might be able to pull it off with a masters in engineering, but not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    At some D1 schools the players that are business majors are the ones that are taking the easy way out.
    I'm sure mileage varies, but I've heard an MBA referred to as "the C student's graduate degree" in several places.

Leave a comment:

• shooter86
    replied

Ryan Donald, Yale, is in Springfield on an ATO, joining Chris Vande Velde of UND. Congrats to both.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Incoming SLU '14 recruit Dustin Stevenson is forgoing 4 years of eligibility to sign with the Capitals on a 3 year entry-level deal. At 6'5, 220 lbs, he would have been a great addition in the ECAC, however we will never know how great.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524061

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied

Originally posted by InebriatedMike View Post
    I'm glad DU is doing great in the classroom, but please don't try to say business is hard. Hard as opposed to what? Being a communication major?
    I'm glad someone said it.
    Just because admissions is somewhat competitive it doesn't mean the workload or content is all that difficult.

At any rate, if college hockey players are maintaining a 3.0 gpa, in any field of study, its hard to argue with it. But I'm not going to be all that impressed.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Almost all of them were in the College of Business, which is no easy picnic academically.
    I'm glad DU is doing great in the classroom, but please don't try to say business is hard. Hard as opposed to what? Being a communication major?

At some D1 schools the players that are business majors are the ones that are taking the easy way out.

Leave a comment:

• kdaddy
    replied

I want to UVM in the late 80's and I have to say that most of the hockey players were actually quite good academically (had quite a few in my classes, mostly business). Guys like Ian Boyce, Jerry Tarrant (his dad was founder of IDX) Kyle McDonough were all pretty good in class..in some ways alot more disciplined than the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

At DU, the business school is considered reasonably difficult, and starting this year, it will require additional secondary admissions hurdles beyond University admissions:

http://www.daniels.du.edu/admissions...teadmissi.html

It's not engineering hard, but it's a lot harder than some other majors at DU and other schools.

Leave a comment:

• InebriatedMike
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Almost all of them were in the College of Business, which is no easy picnic academically.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X