Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Show me the money--Players turning pro

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Let's try it this way, maybe you will see my point more clearly. If not I don't care, I'm done with this pointless exercise in futility.

- you are a researcher at University X and you receive a 5 year award from NSF
    - after year 2, you apply for and are offered a position at University Y

For Year 3-5 does your NSF grant go to University Y or University X?

If it goes to University X then funding would be to the University.
    If it goes to University Y then funding would be to the researcher.

Good luck.
    Oh, snap.

The school can let you take the money with you, but they don't have to, since it's their money.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Is this the place you come to find out who signed?

:checks title of thread:

thought I was in the wrong place....

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Is this the place you come to find out who signed?

:checks title of thread:

thought I was in the wrong place....
        No, no - this is the INTERNET, silly. Any semblance of useful information is purely unintentional...

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Oh, snap.

The school can let you take the money with you, but they don't have to, since it's their money.
          http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_...sp?ods_key=aag

No, not exactly. But listen I'm done with this conversation. You win, I don't care. If you want to be ignorant of whether a private college is given public money go ahead, be ignorant. That's your choice.

BY the way if you look at Chapter 2 this is discussed in detail.
          Should a PI leave the school has 3 choices :
          A.) close the grant
          B.) let the grant go with the professor
          C.) NOMINATE another PI to take over.

The grant was written and granted based on the PI's experience, which is why C is never used because NSF will turn it down. Since it would be spiteful to close the grant for no reason that's not done either. So B is the way it works. But you are correct in that it really isn't the professors, but wrong, in that it's not the schools. Just FYI incase you choose to educate yourself about what you speak off.

Good Day.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            No, no - this is the INTERNET, silly. Any semblance of useful information is purely unintentional...

Comment

http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_...sp?ods_key=aag

No, not exactly. But listen I'm done with this conversation. You win, I don't care. If you want to be ignorant of whether a private college is given public money go ahead, be ignorant. That's your choice.

BY the way if you look at Chapter 2 this is discussed in detail.
              Should a PI leave the school has 3 choices :
              A.) close the grant
              B.) let the grant go with the professor
              C.) NOMINATE another PI to take over.

The grant was written and granted based on the PI's experience, which is why C is never used because NSF will turn it down. Since it would be spiteful to close the grant for no reason that's not done either. So B is the way it works. But you are correct in that it really isn't the professors, but wrong, in that it's not the schools. Just FYI incase you choose to educate yourself about what you speak off.

Good Day.
              No amount of tap-dancing sophistry can alter reality. FACT: State and federal governments regularly transfer large amounts of (public) funds to public AND private colleges and universities. The institutions accept these payments and use them, within limits, at their own discretion.

This is not a bad thing so long as educational institutions use this money to advance academic education, which marks the limits of honest and ethical disbursement of public funds to private and even public colleges and universities.

History proves that funding abuses involving college athletic programs are unhappily frequent, even though denizens of this site found their arguments on the assumption that there is never any corruption of academic standards or academic financing to benefit college athletic programs.

You are entitled to your opinion that college athletic programs never violate financial ethics and never subvert the mission of academic institutions. However, you are not entitled to your own facts. You can even profess that training professional athletes is a high priority for public and private academic institutions. Just don't expect to be taken as a serious person.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                I attended a private, endowed university .

I would have went to college if I knew they had a university for the endowed.

*****http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/bigbreast.jpg******
                If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post

Me to.

Comment

No amount of tap-dancing sophistry can alter reality. FACT: State and federal governments regularly transfer large amounts of (public) funds to public AND private colleges and universities. The institutions accept these payments and use them, within limits, at their own discretion.

This is not a bad thing so long as educational institutions use this money to advance academic education, which marks the limits of honest and ethical disbursement of public funds to private and even public colleges and universities.

History proves that funding abuses involving college athletic programs are unhappily frequent, even though denizens of this site found their arguments on the assumption that there is never any corruption of academic standards or academic financing to benefit college athletic programs.

You are entitled to your opinion that college athletic programs never violate financial ethics and never subvert the mission of academic institutions. However, you are not entitled to your own facts. You can even profess that training professional athletes is a high priority for public and private academic institutions. Just don't expect to be taken as a serious person.
                      *****http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/images/smilies/ohno.gif******

How can someone so illiterate even know what is a fact and isn't a fact.
                      And why do I care if you take me seriously, after pages and pages of dialogue, you still attribute a whole host of "my opinion" that I have never even spoken of on this thread. Dude get some help for your delusions and stop making **** up until you do.

Comment

*****http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/images/smilies/ohno.gif******

How can someone so illiterate even know what is a fact and isn't a fact.
                        And why do I care if you take me seriously, after pages and pages of dialogue, you still attribute a whole host of "my opinion" that I have never even spoken of on this thread. Dude get some help for your delusions and stop making **** up until you do.
                        Attacking the messenger doesn't change the news.

Comment

Attacking the messenger doesn't change the news.
                          Ignoring stuff doesn't make it go away either. You can ignore the fact that I never said anything that you attributed to me, but it doesn't make it any less true and just serves to show your delusion.

Comment

Ignoring stuff doesn't make it go away either. You can ignore the fact that I never said anything that you attributed to me, but it doesn't make it any less true and just serves to show your delusion.
                            but he is already doing such a good job ignoring my valid argument against him, since he has no rebuttal for it.
                            Originally posted by Mankato student
                            Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                            "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                            -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                              but he is already doing such a good job ignoring my valid argument against him, since he has no rebuttal for it.
                              Well, he is a senior citizen so maybe he just forgets.

Comment

Why in blazes should colleges recruit unwilling, untalented students, pay their expenses, and provide them with hockey programs in the hopes a hockey program will help them become scholars and graduates?

Why are you even on a college hockey fan board? I hear nothing from you but bitterness about the very existence of competitive varsity athletics in various threads here.

I call: Holier-than-thou faculty member who resents the very existence of college varsity program.

Comment

Working...
                                X