Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show me the money--Players turning pro

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    Maybe it's better for Stevenson not to be associated with a Division I college hockey team. The list of pro prospects and their ranking reveals only one college candidate, a Harvard recruit at #40 in the 100 or so prospects identified.
    How many former Division I hockey players played in the NHL last year? For that matter, how many Division I dropouts played in the NFL last year? Is the talent in Junior Hockey far superior to the talent in Division I college hockey? Are colleges selling Division I recruits a bill of goods concerning either their chances of earning an education or furthering their hockey careers by matriculating? Such deception would rank pretty low. These are just kids, you know.
    I'd be curious to see this "list" you're referencing, because I can guarantee any credible list has more than one college player on it.

267 players that have played in the NHL this year have also played college hockey, which is almost 1/3 of the total players in the league.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Maybe it's better for Stevenson not to be associated with a Division I college hockey team. The list of pro prospects and their ranking reveals only one college candidate, a Harvard recruit at #40 in the 100 or so prospects identified.
      There are only 3 or 4 current NCAA hockey players, from what I quickly browsed through, in the top 150 of the NHL CSS Rankings. Why you ask? Well that's because most players get drafted before they begin playing NCAA hockey.

There are ~6 USA U-18 players in the top 50, who I can almost guarantee will play atleast 1 season in the NCAA, most probably more than that. There were several others in the Canadian and American junior leagues who will also likely be coming stateside to play NCAA hockey.

The other issue at hand here, is the whole OHL/QMJHL vs NCAA hockey, which is another can of worms completely, and really shouldn't even be mentioned. Both have their benefits, both have their drawbacks, neither one is truly better than the other as a rule, it is more of a case-by-case scenario. As an example, only because I am familiar with them, let's take the Bogosian brothers: Zach and Aaron. Zach went from Cushing Academy to Peterborough of the OHL, while his brother Aaron went from Cushing to Cedar Rapids (USHL) to St. Lawrence (ECAC). Zach, when he left Cushing, had a very good chance to get drafted high and chose the OHL as his developmental path. Aaron, who is a good player in his own right, was not likely to be drafted, and thus decided to go the college route and get an education while playing 30 minutes from home, and still might play beyond his college days after next year. Both will be very successful in life, despite them taking 2 completely different routes.
      Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 04-10-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

How many former Division I hockey players played in the NHL last year? For that matter, how many Division I dropouts played in the NFL last year? Is the talent in Junior Hockey far superior to the talent in Division I college hockey? Are colleges selling Division I recruits a bill of goods concerning either their chances of earning an education or furthering their hockey careers by matriculating? Such deception would rank pretty low. These are just kids, you know.
        ah, five kids who won the national championship at BU last year have played in the nhl this year....

or were you talking about some other professional hockey league?!?!
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Is INCH really behind on the pro signees or has nobody really signed since April first?
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Is INCH really behind on the pro signees or has nobody really signed since April first?
            probably behind given the focus on the ff last week...

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              ah, five kids who won the national championship at BU last year have played in the nhl this year....

or were you talking about some other professional hockey league?!?!
              Of all the hockey players who left a Division I school this year to turn pro what percentage left without a degree? What percentage left before successfully completing even two years of study?
              It's safe to dismiss the argument "Some of them went back and finished their degree." as a cop-out. The argument that college is not the only path to success in life is validated by observation, as is the argument that not everyone is suited for college. However, it's foolish to take youngsters who have neither the desire nor the ability to complete a college education and admit them to develop their hockey skills and fill seats in the rink. That's what junior hockey is for. Furthermore, the money, effort, and classroom space expended on non-academic wannabe pro hockey players would be much better spent to educate intellectually talented and academically oriented youngsters from all economic classes. This is the mission of colleges, after all.
              Yeah, I know, some fortunate souls are both scholars and athletes. It hardly seems fair that one individual should have so much talent but that's how it goes, and why college athletes deserve our respect and admiration. It is NOT elitist to demand college athletes be both athletes AND scholars. In fact, this is the only legitimate reason for the existence of college athletics.

Comment

It was reported in D3 thread that Eric Selleck of Oswego State signed with Florida Panthers organization.

Comment

Of all the hockey players who left a Division I school this year to turn pro what percentage left without a degree? What percentage left before successfully completing even two years of study?
                  It's safe to dismiss the argument "Some of them went back and finished their degree." as a cop-out. The argument that college is not the only path to success in life is validated by observation, as is the argument that not everyone is suited for college. However, it's foolish to take youngsters who have neither the desire nor the ability to complete a college education and admit them to develop their hockey skills and fill seats in the rink. That's what junior hockey is for. Furthermore, the money, effort, and classroom space expended on non-academic wannabe pro hockey players would be much better spent to educate intellectually talented and academically oriented youngsters from all economic classes. This is the mission of colleges, after all.
                  Yeah, I know, some fortunate souls are both scholars and athletes. It hardly seems fair that one individual should have so much talent but that's how it goes, and why college athletes deserve our respect and admiration. It is NOT elitist to demand college athletes be both athletes AND scholars. In fact, this is the only legitimate reason for the existence of college athletics.
                  So what's it like in La La Land?

and EDIT: So no college is better than some but not completing college? There are a lot of people who go to college and don't finish, whats your take on them? should they never have been allowed in? Just because they don't finish their degree doesn't mean they didn't have the ablility or desire to complete their college education. A better opportunity arose for them. Would you say to Bill Gates? he left after one year I believe, he has done well for himself. What about Dick Schulze, he didn't even attend college and started one of the most successful companies in the Country.
                  Last edited by ts8801; 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM.
                  Originally posted by Mankato student
                  Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                  "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                  -- Peter Klein

Comment

..... Furthermore, the money, effort, and classroom space expended on non-academic wannabe pro hockey players would be much better spent to educate intellectually talented and academically oriented youngsters from all economic classes. This is the mission of colleges, after all...
                    every school accepts students who don't attend there.

there is a place to learn for any youngster from any class.

i know many college graduates who, even though they have a degree, are ****ing stupid.

--so what's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      every school accepts students who don't attend there.

there is a place to learn for any youngster from any class.

i know many college graduates who, even though they have a degree, are ****ing stupid.

--so what's your point?
                      I'll go slowly:

Junior hockey programs do not recruit unwilling, untalented hockey players, pay their expenses, and provide them with courses in higher education with the hope an educational program will help recruits graduate into skilled professional hockey players.

Why in blazes should colleges recruit unwilling, untalented students, pay their expenses, and provide them with hockey programs in the hopes a hockey program will help them become scholars and graduates?

Please note: Junior hockey programs waste their own money when they make foolish decisions; nearly every college receives substantial public funding, so guess whose money they waste when they make foolish decisions?

Just how ARE things in la-la land?

Comment

Please note: Junior hockey programs waste their own money when they make foolish decisions; nearly every college receives substantial public funding, so guess whose money they waste when they make foolish decisions?

Nearly every college? How many are private colleges. Wonder how much public funding Harvard receives?

Heck you can't even make that argument about some Public schools.

What color is the sky in your world.
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Maybe this idiotic response is a primary reason why you could not get into a private university and ended up at a public school.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            Maybe this idiotic response is a primary reason why you could not get into a private university and ended up at a public school.
                            Did you attend Brown? If so, were you a legacy admittance?
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

I'll go slowly:
                              too fast.... slower, please.

Comment

you seem pretty intelligent.

that has no place on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X