Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show me the money--Players turning pro

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
    Zach Cohen from BU signed with the Avalanche (and is being sent to Lake Erie).

BU West.
    uscho front page is reporting both colby cohen and shattenkirk signing with the avs, and being sent to lake erie

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      The 80 % graduation rate, does that refer to Division I hockey players? Does that graduation rate apply to the winningest Division I hocky programs, or does it include the graduation rate of all college hockey players in all divisions of college hockey?
      When using specific statistics it's imperative to identify the specific population to which the statistics refer. Otherwise you expose yourself to charges you are attempting to deceive your audience, or you are relying upon an uneducated audience to decieve itself at your urging.

The point was it is significantly different than some other major college sports.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Rumors abound that All WCHA, CHN All American, Poty (WCHA, CHN) Goalie of the year (INCH) Junior Marc Cheverie will also go pro. Chevy, a Florida draft pick, could take advantage of the "Wheeler Rule" (4 years since being drafted) and become a free agent this summer.
        Wait and see. Pins and needles.
        Tell him to sign with the Kings! I'd make him our backup for the playoff run TODAY.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          The 80 % graduation rate, does that refer to Division I hockey players? Does that graduation rate apply to the winningest Division I hocky programs, or does it include the graduation rate of all college hockey players in all divisions of college hockey?
          When using specific statistics it's imperative to identify the specific population to which the statistics refer. Otherwise you expose yourself to charges you are attempting to deceive your audience, or you are relying upon an uneducated audience to decieve itself at your urging.
          If you wish, you can find these exact figures on the internet if you wish to spend the time tracking them down. I am trying to save you the trouble, as I've seen enough of them to know that my figures are pretty close to actual.

The "big" programs in college hockey also graduate players well. While the Ivies may be highest at 90-100% graduation rates, the major hockey powers tend to graduate 75+%, which is still very healthy, and tends to be above their all-student graduation rates. The net-net of all this is that college hockey has a very healthy balance of academics and hockey, unlike some of the larger NCAA sports.

For example, my school, Denver, was ranked #1 or #2 most of the season on the ice with 13 NHL draft picks. You might think these guys wouldn't care about school, but that's simply not the case. DU had 19 of its 21 eligible players (freshmen aren't eligible for all WCHA academic honors) above a 3.0 for all WCHA academic honors (broke a league record, also set by Denver last year with 17), and about 5 of them above a 3.5 GPA. They aren't majoring in corporate fitness, either. Almost all of them were in the College of Business, which is no easy picnic academically. Not all major hockey powers have this kind of academic emphasis, but college hockey schools are not churning out functional illiterates, either. Colleges graduate players that are well prepared for life after hockey, and turn out student-athletes who can compete very well in all areas.

The overall point here is that if you want to find athletes who are in academic trouble, you won't find very many of them in college hockey. We're doing fine in the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            If you wish, you can find these exact figures on the internet if you wish to spend the time tracking them down. I am trying to save you the trouble, as I've seen enough of them to know that my figures are pretty close to actual.

The "big" programs in college hockey also graduate players well. While the Ivies may be highest at 90-100% graduation rates, the major hockey powers tend to graduate 75+%, which is still very healthy, and tends to be above their all-student graduation rates. The net-net of all this is that college hockey has a very healthy balance of academics and hockey, unlike some of the larger NCAA sports.

For example, my school, Denver, was ranked #1 or #2 most of the season on the ice with 13 NHL draft picks. You might think these guys wouldn't care about school, but that's simply not the case. DU had 19 of its 21 eligible players (freshmen aren't eligible for all WCHA academic honors) above a 3.0 for all WCHA academic honors (broke a league record, also set by Denver last year with 17), and about 5 of them above a 3.5 GPA. They aren't majoring in corporate fitness, either. Almost all of them were in the College of Business, which is no easy picnic academically. Not all major hockey powers have this kind of academic emphasis, but college hockey schools are not churning out functional illiterates, either. Colleges graduate players that are well prepared for life after hockey, and turn out student-athletes who can compete very well in all areas.

The overall point here is that if you want to find athletes who are in academic trouble, you won't find very many of them in college hockey. We're doing fine in the classroom.
            Glad to hear that Denver U. is doing the right thing. I searched the net for graduation rates of college athletes and hockey players in particular, and I searched for recent numbers of cases of academic inelegibility or academic probation levied on college athletes in general and hockey players in particular. This information is not readily available. I would like to see a URL
            relevent to this issue. I don't remember any academic inelegibility cases being mentioned on this forum or USCHO news? Are Division I college hockey players still subject to academic suspension? If so, how often does this happen, and where?
            The NCAA is understandably reluctant to release such information, perhaps because of the small rather than the large number of cases. Even the most rabid fan would find it hard to believe today's athletes are so much smarter and study so much harder than athletes in the past that academic inelegibility has simply vanished.

Comment

Almost all of them were in the College of Business, which is no easy picnic academically.
              I'm glad DU is doing great in the classroom, but please don't try to say business is hard. Hard as opposed to what? Being a communication major?

Comment

Originally posted by InebriatedMike View Post
                I'm glad DU is doing great in the classroom, but please don't try to say business is hard. Hard as opposed to what? Being a communication major?
                At DU, the business school is considered reasonably difficult, and starting this year, it will require additional secondary admissions hurdles beyond University admissions:

http://www.daniels.du.edu/admissions...teadmissi.html

It's not engineering hard, but it's a lot harder than some other majors at DU and other schools.

Comment

I want to UVM in the late 80's and I have to say that most of the hockey players were actually quite good academically (had quite a few in my classes, mostly business). Guys like Ian Boyce, Jerry Tarrant (his dad was founder of IDX) Kyle McDonough were all pretty good in class..in some ways alot more disciplined than the rest of us.

Comment

Almost all of them were in the College of Business, which is no easy picnic academically.

At some D1 schools the players that are business majors are the ones that are taking the easy way out.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm glad someone said it.
                      Just because admissions is somewhat competitive it doesn't mean the workload or content is all that difficult.

At any rate, if college hockey players are maintaining a 3.0 gpa, in any field of study, its hard to argue with it. But I'm not going to be all that impressed.

Comment

Incoming SLU '14 recruit Dustin Stevenson is forgoing 4 years of eligibility to sign with the Capitals on a 3 year entry-level deal. At 6'5, 220 lbs, he would have been a great addition in the ECAC, however we will never know how great.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524061

Comment

Ryan Donald, Yale, is in Springfield on an ATO, joining Chris Vande Velde of UND. Congrats to both.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            At some D1 schools the players that are business majors are the ones that are taking the easy way out.
                            I'm sure mileage varies, but I've heard an MBA referred to as "the C student's graduate degree" in several places.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              I'm sure mileage varies, but I've heard an MBA referred to as "the C student's graduate degree" in several places.
                              I've never heard that before, but I like it. Unfortunately, I will probably have to get one in the next several years if I want to move into a manager postion here at work. I might be able to pull it off with a masters in engineering, but not sure.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                Incoming SLU '14 recruit Dustin Stevenson is forgoing 4 years of eligibility to sign with the Capitals on a 3 year entry-level deal. At 6'5, 220 lbs, he would have been a great addition in the ECAC, however we will never know how great.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524061
                                Maybe it's better for Stevenson not to be associated with a Division I college hockey team. The list of pro prospects and their ranking reveals only one college candidate, a Harvard recruit at #40 in the 100 or so prospects identified.
                                How many former Division I hockey players played in the NHL last year? For that matter, how many Division I dropouts played in the NFL last year? Is the talent in Junior Hockey far superior to the talent in Division I college hockey? Are colleges selling Division I recruits a bill of goods concerning either their chances of earning an education or furthering their hockey careers by matriculating? Such deception would rank pretty low. These are just kids, you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X