Show me the money--Players turning pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show me the money--Players turning pro

Brown: Volpatti (Vancouver NHL/Manitoba AHL), Rosen (Gwinnett/ ECHL), Timberlake (Providence Bruins AHL). Great for these guys... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Carter Hutton signed an ATO with the Phantoms as well, and gained his first win.
      Carter Hutton has been called up by the Flyers.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...er_goalie.html
      What did you say?
      Who own the Chiefs?
      What did he say?
      Owns! Owns!

Comment

Ferris' captain Cody Chupp signed with Dallas's AHL team.

Comment

It has been announced that Mario Valery-Trabucco, Union's leading scorer this year, has signed with the Adirondack Phantoms. The Phantoms are the AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and play at the Glens Falls Civic Center

Comment

Three from Alaska:

Dion Knelsen signed with AHL Peoria, and was was assigned to the ECHL Alaska (Anchorage) Aces.

Brandon Knelsen signed a tryout contract with ECHL Idaho, and ironically enough his first pro game was against Alaska and his brother Dion.

Dustin Molle signed a guaranteed contract, also with ECHL Idaho.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

According to INCH, both Mark Olver (NMU) and Cam Talbot (UAH) both have given up collegiate eligibility to sign pro contracts today.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...gnees_0910.htm
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Excellent article here with lots of information why so many college players are departing early to go pro.

http://www.minnesotahockeyjournal.co...8_college.html
                BC '97
                Home/Road (yes, even outside Boston ) supporter

Comment

Add NMU's Erik Gustafsson to the list. Signed with Philly!
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

That actually is a pretty good article. The best part was the last paragraph:

"Sandelin agrees. “The best line I ever heard was that some kids don’t enjoy the journey; they’re worried about the destination. To me that’s what it’s all about when you’re playing hockey, or anything. You’ve got to enjoy the journey, and the destination will be there whenever. But everyone seems to want to get to the destination without enjoying the journey.” "
                    "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Congratulations this article is fantastic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                        That actually is a pretty good article. The best part was the last paragraph:

"Sandelin agrees. “The best line I ever heard was that some kids don’t enjoy the journey; they’re worried about the destination. To me that’s what it’s all about when you’re playing hockey, or anything. You’ve got to enjoy the journey, and the destination will be there whenever. But everyone seems to want to get to the destination without enjoying the journey.” "
                        Sandelin may be a great coach, but he's no economist.

Say you're a 20-year old stud finishing your freshman year who can sign for the rookie max (~900,000 for 3 years). Let's also say that your NHL career will be over at age 35 no matter whether you stay in college or not, and you turn out to be a solid, but not spectacular player, so your NHL salary is ~$1.5M for the years not covered by your entry level contract. Since you ARE an economist, you are frugal and invest 80% of your salary each year at 5% interest. If you jump for the NHL right away, your "nest egg" at retirement will be ~$23M. If you stay in school for 3 more years, your rookie contract will only be 1 year, but you'd only have 12 seasons above the rookie max instead of 13, plus you'd lose 2 years of income at the rookie max. By the time you retire going this route, your nest egg is only ~$18M, so staying in school for those 3 years cost you $5M.

Would you pay $5M to enjoy the "journey" of three years in college? I certainly wouldn't - that's equivalent to a tuition bill of $1.7M per year. There is absolutely no way you could convince me that is worth the price.

And this is BEFORE you factor in the injury risk from ~120 more games played and goodness knows how many practices (not to mention the pool parties!).
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          Sandelin may be a great coach, but he's no economist.

Say you're a 20-year old stud finishing your freshman year who can sign for the rookie max (~900,000 for 3 years). Let's also say that your NHL career will be over at age 35 no matter whether you stay in college or not, and you turn out to be a solid, but not spectacular player, so your NHL salary is ~$1.5M for the years not covered by your entry level contract. Since you ARE an economist, you are frugal and invest 80% of your salary each year at 5% interest. If you jump for the NHL right away, your "nest egg" at retirement will be ~$23M. If you stay in school for 3 more years, your rookie contract will only be 1 year, but you'd only have 12 seasons above the rookie max instead of 13, plus you'd lose 2 years of income at the rookie max. By the time you retire going this route, your nest egg is only ~$18M, so staying in school for those 3 years cost you $5M.

Would you pay $5M to enjoy the "journey" of three years in college? I certainly wouldn't - that's equivalent to a tuition bill of $1.7M per year. There is absolutely no way you could convince me that is worth the price.

And this is BEFORE you factor in the injury risk from ~120 more games played and goodness knows how many practices (not to mention the pool parties!).
                          Speaking of being not much of an economist, how does one save 80% of something they only net 60% or so of after taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by wasmania View Post
                            Speaking of being not much of an economist, how does one save 80% of something they only net 60% or so of after taxes?
                            Ha - fair point.

No matter the specific numbers, staying in school is ridiculously expensive and risky. I'd never advise my own kid to do it, and I'm 4th generation Ivy League on both sides of my family.

Edit: as an engineer, I just can't leave that hanging. With 40% taxes taken out, the cost of those three years of school is $2M instead of $5M.
                            Last edited by LynahFan; 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

UNH's Bobby Butler (that Hobey candidate at the top of the scoring chart) is playing with Ottowa for the rest of the season, then finishing his degree over the summer. Something about sports managment or policy or something. 3.6 GPA, or so I've heard!

As far as anyone else at UNH, I can't say. My heart is still broken.

You think I'd get used to it...
                              Originally posted by state of hockey
                              Tecate tonight. Haha!
                              Originally posted by state of hockey
                              Ugh. That was a bad idea.
                              Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Ha - fair point.

No matter the specific numbers, staying in school is ridiculously expensive and risky. I'd never advise my own kid to do it, and I'm 4th generation Ivy League on both sides of my family.

Edit: as an engineer, I just can't leave that hanging. With 40% taxes taken out, the cost of those three years of school is $2M instead of $5M.
                                Risky yes but if the kid is on a full ride, that is not expensive. At an Ivy school, which you say you are from, it might make sense for a kid to leave and go back later - due to the lack of athletic scholarships. At a school where the school is footing the expense, especially 100% of the expense this might not be the case.

By staying in school, the player might have the chance to 1) finish school and close out that chapter of their lives, 2) get stronger in weight room (if that was needed), 3) get more confidence playing in more vital roles on your college team (PP, PK, etc) versus playing in a diminshed role on a AHL team or worst case, because the game is a business now, at the ECHL level.
                                Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Working...
                                X