Expand The Brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expand The Brackets?

No problem with 16. The way everything is every game is very important and I wouldn't want to lose that by adding teams. Also just wondering why we keep comparing percentages with baskets?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already. But instead of expanding it to 20 or whatever, I think a good compromise would be a play-in game between the lowest non-AQ and the first team out (AKA #17). I'm not positive who that'd be this year (Maine? Ferris? Union?), but I'm not really sure Vermont deserves to be in the tournament, so I think it'd be fair if they played the first team out to see which SHOULD be in the tournament.

Is anyone REALLY going to argue against more hockey being played?!
      And exactly which team should be in instead of UVM?

Comment

If we lose more teams we should be worried about contraction of the brackets.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I don't think we have to worry about losing tourney spots. I think the NC$$ likes the 16 team format with four teams in each region.

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
            American International or UConn, as representatives of the BFC (Bottom Feeders Conference).
            Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

two teams got in from Hockey East with sub par records this year... Absolutely no need for the brackets to expand anytime soon. I am also a proponent of pure bracketing, so the next and only logical move for me is to create a 32 team tournament, which is way out in the future...
              UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                Also just wondering why we keep comparing percentages with baskets?
                Because the NCAA does, and they are the decider.

Comment

One point that I haven't seen mentioned here is that as of now, the regionals tend to not sell out and in some (most?) cases barely get filled halfway.

Want to give the NCAA$ a reason to expand? Start selling out the regionals that you currently have and make them think that there's a way to make more money out of this.

Otherwise...expansion either dilutes the field or feeds the obsession of the relatively few, but rabid college hockey fans

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    Hockey should beat basketball to the punch and have a 96 team tournament. Include 38 DIII teams.
                    second
                    THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                    1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                    1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                    University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                    University of Oregon Ducks Football
                    San Francisco Giants
                    Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                      If the BB guys can talk about expanding to 96 teams (when a #16 hasn't EVER beaten a #1), why can't we talk about a modest expansion from the fiels of 16? What I'd like to see is and expansion from sixteen to 20 or 22 teams, with Nos. 17-20 or 22 playing a "playin game" against Nos. 13-16.
                      There are always teams that end up on the outside looking in, but #17 probably is usually more deserving of a chance that a #21 or 23. For example,
                      Ferris State was a top ranked team all year and didn't make the field becasue of a couple close losses. Whatdaya think?
                      *****http://www.shrinkgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalmbq8dj7.jpg******

Comment

Rather than do something original, I'll just requote what I said in the 2009 version of this thread.

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                        If the BB guys can talk about expanding to 96 teams (when a #16 hasn't EVER beaten a #1), why can't we talk about a modest expansion from the fiels of 16? What I'd like to see is and expansion from sixteen to 20 or 22 teams, with Nos. 17-20 or 22 playing a "playin game" against Nos. 13-16.
                        There are always teams that end up on the outside looking in, but #17 probably is usually more deserving of a chance that a #21 or 23. For example,
                        Ferris State was a top ranked team all year and didn't make the field becasue of a couple close losses. Whatdaya think?
                        Originally posted by Abe Simpson
                        Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three.
                        P.S. I am not a crackpot.
                        Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                          PC.

Because we tied NU!!!11!!!!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

IMO 16 is a good number, but single elimination is DUMB in the 1st 2 rounds IMO. I would like to see there be an extra weekend added, have the first 2 rounds be best of three at the higher seeded team's home rink (then the regular season is meaningful and attendance is not a problem with these silly regionals), then play the Frozen Four per usual single elimination like it has been done since 1948. Really don't like the cinderella factor and seeing talented teams getting knocked out in a single game elimination. Why play 30+ flippin games, and then a team is one and done in an early round against a team they haven't had a chance to even figure out yet. They play 3 game series in most early Conference Rounds, but yet isn't the NCAA a more important tourney to get a "true" champion?

Cinderella Lovers will whine "Ohhhh, I like seeing a lower seeded team advance, wah wah wah". Go watch the "Mighty Ducks" if you want to see a cutesie "feel-good" story about a bunch of underdogs. I want the winner to prove they can do it more than once when it counts... Again, just my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Another positive is more time to study your opponent, and MORE PLAYOFF HOCKEY! Plus less travel for the home teams. I like the idea of Regionals, but when they change seedings for attendance, then they have a system where the integrity is not upheld....
                            Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by tdzro View Post
                              IMO 16 is a good number, but single elimination is DUMB in the 1st 2 rounds IMO. I would like to see there be an extra weekend added, have the first 2 rounds be best of three at the higher seeded team's home rink (then the regular season is meaningful and attendance is not a problem with these silly regionals), then play the Frozen Four per usual single elimination like it has been done since 1948. Really don't like the cinderella factor and seeing talented teams getting knocked out in a single game elimination. Why play 30+ flippin games, and then a team is one and done in an early round against a team they haven't had a chance to even figure out yet. They play 3 game series in most early Conference Rounds, but yet isn't the NCAA a more important tourney to get a "true" champion?

Cinderella Lovers will whine "Ohhhh, I like seeing a lower seeded team advance, wah wah wah". Go watch the "Mighty Ducks" if you want to see a cutesie "feel-good" story about a bunch of underdogs. I want the winner to prove they can do it more than once when it counts... Again, just my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Another positive is more time to study your opponent, and MORE PLAYOFF HOCKEY! Plus less travel for the home teams. I like the idea of Regionals, but when they change seedings for attendance, then they have a system where the integrity is not upheld....
                              Despite upsets, if you're truly the better team, you'll adjust on the run and win.

Pay no attention to the flaws in my argument, they will be considered futile.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The field is too watered down - reduce the field to eight teams and play out the entire thing in three days.

Comment

Working...
                                X