Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expand The Brackets?

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    That's a good idea. In fact, they should just give the national championship to the team that wins the conference tournament of the best league.

8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just what we need: twelve more threads each year about western/eastern bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Incorrect. Fricker is not a Ferris poster.

A couple of close losses did keep Ferris out: The two that we took last weekend. If we win either game, or tie on Saturday, we are not having this conversation.
      but just about every team on the bubble can say that... maine wins one of their first two games of the season vs. union and they're in...

took a flyer on the assumption of it being a "my team got screwed" thread, and for that i apologize, but to say one win or loss kept them out isn't exactly true.... an outright win in any of the five games vs. miami, or the three games, vs northern, or the two vs alaska.... my point is, fsu had 10 opportunites to get it done (against those thre teams alone) and didn't... 10 separate losses/ties kept them out

Comment

Even as a fan of the second team out this season, I still say no. For a 58-team division, our tournament's the perfect size. Absolutely no changes are needed or necessary.
        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

For fairness's sake, maybe I'll start a "back to 12 teams?" thread.
          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
          -
          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Expand The Brackets?

For the record, Hammer:
            * my dad - West Point
            * me - Clarkson
            * son #1 - UNH
            * son #2 - Lake Superior State
            Ok, if you don't like expanding the field, how about going with an (8) team including league champs & regular season champs from Hockey East, ECAC, CCHA, and WCHA, with the two of those with the worst records playing a play-in game. Of course, Minnesota & BU should always get first round byes.

Comment

No.

Comment

How about a triple-elimination tournament?
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Loss of the CHA champ next year is effectively a 1 team expansion over this year (one more at-large gets in). Don't like the idea of expansion or retraction from 16. The current tournament is tough to get into, but still includes some smaller schools capable of upset. We may need some tweaks as far as host sites for attendance reasons, but the size of the tournament should be left alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    How about a triple-elimination tournament?
                    College Baseball... love it

Maybe we should use the base-ketball format and let the tournament go on for 8 months on ESPN Ocho

Comment

I ws thinking about posting a thread about this exact idea last night.....
                      I could see expanding the teams to 28 teams.
                      All 4 #1 seeds get a first round bye
                      teams 2-6 in each bracket would play the first round games. And then they would be re-seeded lowest seed still alive plays their regional #1
                      First Round games would be played on Thursday and Friday, Round of 16 Played Sat and Sunday.

This way you would have pretty much all winning programs with a chance to be Cinderella. Just my 2 Cents.
                      Last edited by GopherBigGuy911; 03-22-2010, 11:43 AM.
                      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Go you Green and White
                      Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight with all your might!
                      Rah! Rah! Rah!
                      We are here to cheer you
                      We are out to win your fame,
                      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                        If the BB guys can talk about expanding to 96 teams (when a #16 hasn't EVER beaten a #1), why can't we talk about a modest expansion from the fiels of 16? What I'd like to see is and expansion from sixteen to 20 or 22 teams, with Nos. 17-20 or 22 playing a "playin game" against Nos. 13-16.
                        There are always teams that end up on the outside looking in, but #17 probably is usually more deserving of a chance that a #21 or 23. For example,
                        Ferris State was a top ranked team all year and didn't make the field becasue of a couple close losses. Whatdaya think?
                        I would like to see the tournament with a few more teams in it but its not a popular idea with many of the people on these boards, for whatever reason...
                        The Quest For 7

Comment

I favor 12 teams..with the 1 seed getting a bye till the regional final

Comment

No expansion is needed. If your team can't make the tourney under the PWR system in the top quartile of 58 NCAA teams or by winning the conference tourney (the second chance opportunity), your team doesn't deserve to be dancing. Period.

DU was the last team left out of the dance in 2006 and 2007, and the team didn't deserve a berth.

The PWR system is transparent, and every team knows exactly what they need to do to secure a spot.

Comment

We need to worry about having more D-I programs such that we can justify the 16-team field before we even think of asking for something beyond that. Get to 64 teams (that's 6 more programs, assuming no one else folds) and we're good with what we got.

I think we'd need to get to 70 teams before we even dream of an 18 team field, 80 teams before we think of a 20 team field.

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              The PWR system is transparent, and every team knows exactly what they need to do to secure a spot.
                              I love the current system for the very reason you specified here. It's just unbiased numbers. To quote the Scoobs: Simple Math.

Until the committee breaks form from the PWR, we have no one bickering about bubble teams getting in because of "quality wins" or all the other BS you hear about with the basketball tourney.

There aren't any polling numbers used, like the BCS. The numbers don't factor in anything besides wins and losses. The only "bias" possible is in how we chose the weight factors for RPI and in how we define a TUC. Both of those factors are settled before the season begins. The selection process is pretty much as unbiased as determining the field for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The only argument I've ever seen that's worth having is whether we should use KRACH instead of RPI. Every other complaint has been soundly rejected by 90% of this board. What's not to like about that?
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                                I would like to see the tournament with a few more teams in it but its not a popular idea with many of the people on these boards, for whatever reason...
                                To expand slightly on my original post. I think a national tournament should be tough to get into, there should be teams dissappointed that they didn't make it. With the conference winners and the next 10 best teams getting in I feel the best of the best is represented. Sure some teams that just sneak in _ like Miami last year _ are capable of winning a title, but I think the tournament should be a reward for being the best all year not to a .500 team that managed to get hot at the end. Michigan got hot at the end this year after a mediocre season, but needed to win the CCHA to get in and that is how I think it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X