Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Wisc get late game in their Region?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Wisc get late game in their Region?

Conventional thought says the #1 seed gets the first game so they'll 'have more rest' going into their expected Championship game the next night. Three of the four Regions have the #1 seed playing the early game while the West Region has #2 & #3 playing the early game.

What was the rationale for that?

This is St. Paul for goodness sakes...two teams of chimpanzees playing hockey would draw a crowd. So it can't be a worry about attendance.
    Last edited by Chris_NH; 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM.
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Re: Why did Wisc get late game in their Region?

I think the rationale is always going to be how can we sell more tickets or get more viewers (which means more money). Years ago -- and someone can correct me if this is wrong -- it always seemed to be that the higher seed got the earlier game, the rationale being what you figure, but anymore this isn't the case. And it isn't just a consideration of one regional. They want to maximize viewers and ticket sales everywhere. Isn't it why we had so much creativity out of the committee this time around?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
      Conventional thought says the #1 seed gets the first game so they'll 'have more rest' going into their expected Championship game the next night. Three of the four Regions have the #1 seed playing the early game while the West Region has #2 & #3 playing the early game.

This is St. Paul for goodness sakes...two teams of chimpanzees playing hockey would draw a crowd. So it can't be a worry about attendance.
      I'm going to guess ESPN. The Wisconsin game is on ESPNU live, and the first is tape delayed. If Wisconsin played the early game it would have to be tape-delayed and ESPN is betting Wisconsin will get better numbers.

Just a guess.

Comment

This is what I say about the "Minnesota rule" in the Final Five, but when I do that I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about. So I stay quiet.

Comment

It is to allow the Wisconsin fans more time to dump boatloads of cash at the local pubs before the game. Has the freight train of paint thinner been ordered yet? We would hate to run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucky-Bucky Backer View Post
            It is to allow the Wisconsin fans more time to dump boatloads of cash at the local pubs before the game.
            And then the Yoopers can play catch up at those same pubs while Bucky is playing.
            www.mattwellens.com

www.miningjournal.net

"brilliant, mother ********** brilliant
            wellens... you are a god among college sports analysts" - The Stew

Comment

uhn got the sioux in the first game in manchvegas last year (while the terriers waited).

chit happens.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I actually think that playing the late game is more beneficial. To play the earlier game disrupts your usual game day routine. By the time you have your morning skate, shower and have a meal, you're almost ready to turn around and head back to the rink for the game. So, though you may get a couple extra hours off between games, playing the late game to start allows for a more normal weekend.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  I actually think that playing the late game is more beneficial. To play the earlier game disrupts your usual game day routine. By the time you have your morning skate, shower and have a meal, you're almost ready to turn around and head back to the rink for the game. So, though you may get a couple extra hours off between games, playing the late game to start allows for a more normal weekend.
                  On Friday, Mike Eaves talked about how he felt like afternoon games were a roll of the dice in terms of what kind of performance you get because it disrupts a team's normal preparation. I'm sure they'd much rather have the late game.

Also, the West regional final doesn't start until 8pm on Saturday, so the team that wins the later game gets as much turnaround time as they're used to.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    On Friday, Mike Eaves talked about how he felt like afternoon games were a roll of the dice in terms of what kind of performance you get because it disrupts a team's normal preparation. I'm sure they'd much rather have the late game.

Also, the West regional final doesn't start until 8pm on Saturday, so the team that wins the later game gets as much turnaround time as they're used to.
                    I seem to recall hearing that the #1 seed gets the choice of either the early or late game. For UW, the late game will also give more time for fans to make it to the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      I seem to recall hearing that the #1 seed gets the choice of either the early or late game. For UW, the late game will also give more time for fans to make it to the arena.
                      And it's because SCSU fans touch themselves at night.

Any questions about when a team plays, or where they play, just follow the dollar. Plain and simple.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

mike eaves also said they are going to start scheduling easy NC games to help out their PWR

Comment

I love noob season:

Thanks for the rep (in reference to my last post in here), I enjoy creativity such as this:

inappropre faggot ya u wish they did u gay faggot
                          It makes me feel good about being me.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I love noob season:

Thanks for the rep (in reference to my last post in here), I enjoy creativity such as this:

It makes me feel good about being me.
                            And I thought it was bad when someone called me Hitler a few weeks ago. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              And I thought it was bad when someone called me Hitler a few weeks ago. Yikes.
                              I've seen "worse" insults, but they were more creative and I appreciate creativity.

Any old fool can say stuff like that rep I received. It takes an intellectual to get the insultee to give kudos.

And are you Hitler?

Comment

Working...
                              X