Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Originally posted by dolan View Post
    If they would take off the Gopher thongs for once they'd actually be pretty good. They are so pro-Gopher that I have trouble listening to them. Even when the Gophers aren't playing (Final Five weekend ahem) they were still anti-Sioux. But I guess i'd take that over BM who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
    I see no problem with being anti-Sioux.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I see no problem with being anti-Sioux.
      Of course you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
        Hate his near total ignorance of the subject matter he's supposed to be covering, namely college hockey. Love that he's still rocking a mullet though.
        I agree, I don't think he knows that much about college hockey, his picks are always way wrong, every NCAA Frozen Four Selection show, or him popping in on Sports Center at the start of the NHL Playoffs his picks and favorites always seem to be the complete opposite of what actually happens.

Get rid of the Barry "The Mullet" Melrose I think between the many broadcasters on regional FSNs and Comcast Sports, CBS College Sports, NHL teams, NHL Network, VS,. and NBC there's lots of qualified comentators to kick his butt out of the broadcast booth!

Comment

I love Barry!! I'm a Melrosexual who enjoys a little Boob Norton reach around every now and then.
          "My greatest achievement."
          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
            Though he's a moron, I'm pro-Melrose. I do not have a valid explanation as to why, however.
            I'm sort of in this camp. I think it's because my wife despises him and his hair. Doesn't he chew tobacco on the set?

His shtick is mildly amusing and I loved that one commercial at the barber shop........the guy getting his mullet cut and he pipes in with, "I wouldn't go any shorter."

Of course if he knew anything about the teams and players that would really help. A lot.

Plus he's a Marty Turco fan, facts and performance this year be ****ed.

One final point: just because he likes Cornell doesn't mean that they're not good. At least I think that's the case.
            Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
            I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Melrose is a moron! He is anti UND and Maine so I hate him, but thats my opinion!

Comment

You know who is good? Gary Thorne. Love that voice. Too bad he doesn't get to do much hockey. Probably two games a year.

He does play by play for the Orioles now.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  You know who is good? Gary Thorne. Love that voice. Too bad he doesn't get to do much hockey. Probably two games a year.
                  He does play by play for the Orioles now.
                  BINGO! I'd much rather listen to him than Melrose with his salty mullet or Norton with his triple chin.

Comment

I like Thorne and Melrose. Gary does a great job with the play by play and Barry adds a little flare, though a bit on the greasy side. Think Melrose is warming to college hawkey after a few years of working it.....he seemed pretty anti-college when he started...now he simply falls in love with certain teams and players.

Norton needs to be retired...........he's just painful.
                    Last edited by acs64; 03-25-2010, 06:32 AM.
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                      I like Thorne and Melrose. Gary does a great job with the play by play and Barry adds a little flare, though a bit on the greasy side. Think Melrose is warming to college hawkey after a few years of working it.....he seemed pretty anti-college when he started...now he simply falls in love with certain teams and players.

Norton needs to be retired...........he's just painful.
                      It was nice to see melrose do some back tracking last night with both games , dont think he exspected the outcome , he did pay compliments and mention both teams deserved to be in the finals. His commentary lacks stlye without much thought never knowing what comes out next. Will give him credit he was a little more informed this time around.

Comment

Melrose began his coaching career in 1987 when he led the Medicine Hat Tigers to the WHL’s Memorial Cup Title. He also coached the Seattle Thunderbirds for the 1988-89 season and the Adirondack Red Wings of the American Hockey League for three seasons (1989-92). Melrose guided the Red Wings to the Calder Cup championship in 1991. He also served as the team’s General Manager during his final two seasons.

In March 1998, the native of Canada was sworn in as a U.S. citizen. Born July 15, 1956, Melrose is married with two children.

- Barry Melrose BIO ESPN.com

See Barry Melrose is everything that College Hockey isnt. There is no mention of him having any connection to collegiate sports. Not that a broadcaster has to have attended college to broadcast a sport (insert your own Syracuse joke here) but there should be some vague connection somewhere, somehow.
                        He has no reason to change- we are stuck with him until the NHL network can raise enough money to pay him for their QMJHL game of the week. This week features 16 and 17 year old frenchies speaing each other until a bench brawl ensues and one of Partick Roy's offspring faces criminal charges... Should be a barn burner.

Bob Norton is the man... The simple fact that (even with press notes) he can recall where each member of UAF played squirt hockey and who their coach and the carrer choices of their linemates were is VERY impressive.

What about Doc Emerick? He may have a day off between broadcasting EVERY game on MSG, NBC, and Versus ...
                        Last edited by frmbostn; 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Melrose is the unfortunate result of television coverage. I still have the option of going back to the old broadcast (turn off the TV and turn on the radio IF my team is playing). If push comes to shove I have to admit that Melrose is better than the generic dunderheads that would probably take his place (Ron Johnson in MN).

I am from Minnesota, cheer for the Gophers, and love Bob Norton and his Eastern bias. I look forward to it every year. He is what is best about college hockey, undying and sometime irrational allegiances.
                          Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                          Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

How did that Cornell prediction with the Hobey goalie come out for Barry?

Comment

Originally posted by wchaforever View Post
                              I was thinking that too...

Very poorly.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by wchaforever View Post

As quoted in several other threads, Cornell is only as good as the ECAC referees let them be.

Not an ECAC crew; mmmm not so good

Comment

Working...
                                X