Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Though he's a moron, I'm pro-Melrose. I do not have a valid explanation as to why, however.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
      But Norton, unlike Melrose, loves college hockey. And Norton, unlike Melrose, is a nice guy.
      Norton strikes me as a guy who genuinely loves college hockey. Melrose strikes me as someone who genuinely loves himself.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        In case anyone didn't know, one of the 3 weekends that Barry spent watching college hockey was when he broadcast the Cornell/UNH game. Cornell thoroughly dominated that game, including what Cornell fans are referring to as The Shift, when Cornell held the puck in UNH's zone for about 2:33 (at 5x5!) before scoring a back-breaking goal in the 3rd period to go up 4-2 en route to a 5-2 win. If that were the only college hockey game you watched all year, I could see why you'd be overly enamored with Cornell.

See for yourself: The Shift.
        The fact that you guys actually refer to that as, "The Shift" shows how absurd that series of event was. Classic example of UNH playing ZERO body hockey, not fighting for loose pucks in the corner, and we ALL saw how that turned out . . .
        I haven't been on here in a year...
        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Melrose hates college hockey. That's why he's broadcasting it for ESPN.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
            Though he's a moron, I'm pro-Melrose. I do not have a valid explanation as to why, however.
            Drugs?
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I'm thinking BM is going to be swallowing his words on Scrivens and Cornell when DU lights them up for 4+ goals and Cheverie stonewalls them in the East Regional Final...
              Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

ESPN, as whole, is a joke. Even their NFL guys have no idea what they are talking about half the time.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                  But Norton, unlike Melrose, loves college hockey. And Norton, unlike Melrose, is a nice guy.
                  Nortons bias against Maine is so freakin' obvious its pathetic. He does like college hockey, if you say he's a nice guy I believe you. He can go play in the road just the same
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

It took me a while but I love Norton now. He's a big, wacky, crazy New Englander with heavy biases (not just Maine but UNH too) but at his heart he truly loves the game and he's a nice guy. As a broadcaster he's not perfect, he tells too many anecdotes (though at least he usually knows what he's talking about), but I will take a genuine college hockey fan like that over Melrose, who looks like he'd rather be anywhere else and seems to be biding the time until ESPN gets hockey back (if they ever do).

In terms of ESPN's coverage, it was always solid until Tom Mees tragically drowned. He might have been a "pro broadcaster" but he did his homework and really brought an enthusiasm to his play calling...he was infinitely superior to most of the play by play guys they've used over the years since he died, Gary Thorne included. For a guy who used to be hockey's "defining announcer" (and someone with college experience), Thorne has sounded like he's been phoning it in the last few years -- lots of glaring mistakes and too much of the "schmooze" factor with Barry. Get a room guys -- watch the game instead!

Anyway, hopefully we'll hear more gems like when Steve Levy repeatedly called UNH "Rhode Island" in the late '90s

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                      The fact that you guys actually refer to that as, "The Shift" shows how absurd that series of event was. Classic example of UNH playing ZERO body hockey, not fighting for loose pucks in the corner, and we ALL saw how that turned out . . .
                      i counted three "hits" during that entire shift. i think any team could control the puck for that long if there was never any pressure on them.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        It took me a while but I love Norton now. He's a big, wacky, crazy New Englander with heavy biases (not just Maine but UNH too) but at his heart he truly loves the game and he's a nice guy. As a broadcaster he's not perfect, he tells too many anecdotes (though at least he usually knows what he's talking about), but I will take a genuine college hockey fan like that over Melrose, who looks like he'd rather be anywhere else and seems to be biding the time until ESPN gets hockey back (if they ever do).

In terms of ESPN's coverage, it was always solid until Tom Mees tragically drowned. He might have been a "pro broadcaster" but he did his homework and really brought an enthusiasm to his play calling...he was infinitely superior to most of the play by play guys they've used over the years since he died, Gary Thorne included. For a guy who used to be hockey's "defining announcer" (and someone with college experience), Thorne has sounded like he's been phoning it in the last few years -- lots of glaring mistakes and too much of the "schmooze" factor with Barry. Get a room guys -- watch the game instead!

Anyway, hopefully we'll hear more gems like when Steve Levy repeatedly called UNH "Rhode Island" in the late '90s
                        Norton also knows all of the kids comming up through the ranks and usually, always mentions the prep school as well giving acolades to the coach. The reason he does show a bias towards Hockey east , he went there and his son played there .

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          They should just get Wooger and Mazocco. Everyone knows they're the best.
                          If they would take off the Gopher thongs for once they'd actually be pretty good. They are so pro-Gopher that I have trouble listening to them. Even when the Gophers aren't playing (Final Five weekend ahem) they were still anti-Sioux. But I guess i'd take that over BM who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by dolan View Post
                            If they would take off the Gopher thongs for once they'd actually be pretty good. They are so pro-Gopher that I have trouble listening to them. Even when the Gophers aren't playing (Final Five weekend ahem) they were still anti-Sioux. But I guess i'd take that over BM who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
                            Maybe you should take off your green glasses and stop spreading lies.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              {sigh}

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                I have quite a few buddies who go to UM, they see it too...

Comment

Working...
                                X