Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Originally posted by goalie heckler View Post
    I enjoyed how his cronies mixed Minnesota-Duluth's storyline with North Dakota's...

"North Dakota had to win to get into the tournament..." Really? Awesome they got a 2 seed.
    Yeah how does that happen?
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

I don't hate him as much as some people, but it's very evident that he spent 3 Saturdays watching college hockey this year, all of it the East Coast variety, and based all of his opinions off of that.

Comment

While his comments about Cornell were very complimentary, I did not like his reference to Cornell playing in a small rink. I guess anything that seats less than 7,000 or so isn't good enough for him. I doubt that he's ever been to Lynah, but if he ever goes and experiences the atmosphere of a game there, he wouldn't be referring to Cornell's rink as being small anymore. Or, perhaps he still would?

As it pertains to college hockey, he couldn't begin to walk in the late Tom Mees' shoes. Enough said.

Brian Henry
        SLU '76
        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Just the fact that he was actually 30 miles away from me in Bristol Ct. this AM scared me a little. Not sure if they ran out of time or what, but the words Alaska and Yale were only uttered when the NE bracket was announced, neither team even got a reacharound.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Like the Melrose Mullet

Dislike the Melrose Moronic Musings

sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
              I don't hate him as much as some people, but it's very evident that he spent 3 Saturdays watching college hockey this year, all of it the East Coast variety, and based all of his opinions off of that.
              3 Saturdays? That's generous. It is clear to me that talking about college hockey is a chore for Mr. Melrose. We are very sorry ESPN doesn't carry the NHL anymore, Barry, but if I hear him talk about his coaching days one more time..........

Send him to Versus..... where he can watch Sid the Kid and the cageminder for the Devils.
              Thank goodness for advanced technology.

Comment

Originally posted by yaledoc View Post
                Excellent post,Swami. Nicely argued and impressively written.
                Be careful,though, one of the Cambridge townies and Harvard-wanna-
                bes may accuse of having gone to Yale. ROFL.
                You're a perceptive one. I'm a Denver undergrad, but my journalistic skills were upgraded later at a certain 374-year old school. That said, I'd trade it all for one of those perfect Monday nights at Mory's (when it reopens, anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  You're a perceptive one. I'm a Denver undergrad, but my journalistic skills were upgraded later at a certain 374-year old school. That said, I'd trade it all for one of those perfect Monday nights at Mory's (when it reopens, anyway).
                  I didnt no North Dakota needed to win the game to make the NCAA , my guess is they hooked him up to the mike 2 minutes before he went live.

Comment

In case anyone didn't know, one of the 3 weekends that Barry spent watching college hockey was when he broadcast the Cornell/UNH game. Cornell thoroughly dominated that game, including what Cornell fans are referring to as The Shift, when Cornell held the puck in UNH's zone for about 2:33 (at 5x5!) before scoring a back-breaking goal in the 3rd period to go up 4-2 en route to a 5-2 win. If that were the only college hockey game you watched all year, I could see why you'd be overly enamored with Cornell.

See for yourself: The Shift.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Swami;

I have a graduate degree from the same 374-year-old, but I
                      am keeping it "secret" from the Bulldogs and their families. Good luck to the
                      Pioneers. I went out to the Denver Holiday Tourney (was it Dec.2002,or2003?) and had a great time though Yale lost to UNO and Niagara.
                      (LUX ET) VERITAS.

Comment

I had hoped that in seeing Melrose broadcast several games this year that they were attempting to to expose him more to the college game. I am not sure he comes with a bias against the college game, it is just that he does not have a feel for the passion that players and fans have for the game.

He can certainly be colorful and will speak his mind regarding the pros and cons of a player. He does however make numerous mistakes during his broadcast.

I am however another supporter of Bob Norton he knows the game, the teams, the coaches and the players. I do like others miss Tom Mees he was at the top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                          reference to Cornell playing in a small rink.
                          Yeah, they "don't have to skate" because "Lynah is small." Not like, say, 200x85 or anything. Sheesh.
                          Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                            Yeah, they "don't have to skate" because "Lynah is small." Not like, say, 200x85 or anything. Sheesh.
                            Well, if the ceiling is low, that makes the ice smaller, see?
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Barry v/s Mike Millbury.. center ice. Celebrity deathmatch. Problem solved.

Melrose Place will never be the same again
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Melrose has his schtick, and I'm not a big fan of it, but isn't creating some character and performing part of nearly all "color" commentators? NOTE! I wrote "nearly all." Before you list the exceptions, think about the norm:
                                1. Introduced with credentials possessed by many other players, coaches, whatever? Check.
                                2. Primary qualification: ESPN execs like his character and performance. Check.
                                3. Uninformed? Check.
                                4. Decided before the game what to emphasize, and kept at it regardless of what happens? Check
                                5. Producers provided some background on a player, and commentator inserts it whenever possible even if it has nothing to do with what's happening? Check.
                                6. Went to cliche school, and passed, so could talk like a "real sports commentator" rather than an educated user of the English language? Check.

And the list goes on. Melrose may be more bizarre than most, but few add anything. The solution? Mine is to turn on the radio coverage of my favorite team, by computer if necessary, and mute the TV audio. Melrose, or Sean or whomever, won't bother me a bit, and I'll probably not miss anything they say.

Comment

Working...
                                X