Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Barry Melrose is a brand. Taking a page from the Don Cherry school of 'unique screen presence', Melrose has extended his mediocre coaching career into a well-paying ESPN analyst gig by carving out his differentitiation from the standard bland sycophant types of TV people.

The look of the brand is fronted by his distinctive mullet, paired with a loud suit and supported by blustery blowhard comments that nobody else would say. Don Cherry called Melrose "Billy Ray Cypress" (sic) on CBC TV for years, in homage to the early 90s mullet of Miley Cyrus' one-hit, Achy-breaky father, Billy Ray Cyrus. The difference between Cherry and Melrose is that Cherry does more homework, and is a more of Canadian nationalist/traditionalist. Cherry's blowhard comments are almost always traceable to that bedrock.

Melrose's bombast is more all over the board, and his condescension to college hockey is reflected in his lack of preparation and his lack of care. ESPN doesn't really care about college hockey either, and that's why they don't care about his lack of preparation or his bombast. They think Melrose will add some hockey cred that might not otherwise be there for the casual audience, and to an extent, they are right about that. Melrose is at home in the NHL world, and for Joe six-pack who channelsurfs into the NCAA hockey broadcast on ESPN, seeing the Mullet does gives the NCAA brand of hockey some level of credibility...

ESPN's late Tom Mees, who loved college hockey and cared deepy about broadcasting the NCAA Frozen Four with respect and serious effort, would be flabbergasted to see Melrose's lack of preparation and the insulting condescension that comes out of Melrose's mouth. I miss Mees and so does our game.

But this is our reality. ESPN broadcasts college hockey because it must as part of a larger NCAA deal for other sports. I wish we could get someone with more love of the college game, but we are stuck with Mullet. It's a curse for the serious college hockey fan. And while Bob Norton makes some ears bleed with his regionalism, his accent and his constant references to player origins, at least he's genuine, prepared and cares about our game.
    Thank you, I couldn't have posted better! Barry belongs with the NHL, but ESPN isn't, so we get him.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by frmbostn View Post
      What about Doc Emerick?
      PERFECT!!

Doc and Eddie O would be ****ing perfect!!! Good call.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Why don't they just take a TV crew from one of the schools in the regional or a crew from a hockey school close to the regional to do the broadcast? If you have a regional in St. Paul, Minnesota's TV team (formerly known as Dough and the Rug) would do the broadcast. If it is in Michigan, Michigan or Michigan State's TV crew would do the broadcast. I'm sure that between the 4 teams in the regional and teams near the regional location, they could find competant broadcasting teams, with actually NCAA knowledge, for every regional.

It seems like they do this some out west, I think Michigan's TV guy was at the Ft. Wayne regional, but is there a reason it couldn't be done at all regionals?
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Why don't they just take a TV crew from one of the schools in the regional or a crew from a hockey school close to the regional to do the broadcast? If you have a regional in St. Paul, Minnesota's TV team (formerly known as Dough and the Rug) would do the broadcast. If it is in Michigan, Michigan or Michigan State's TV crew would do the broadcast. I'm sure that between the 4 teams in the regional and teams near the regional location, they could find competant broadcasting teams, with actually NCAA knowledge, for every regional.

It seems like they do this some out west, I think Michigan's TV guy was at the Ft. Wayne regional, but is there a reason it couldn't be done at all regionals?
          Agree that regular college crews could do as well as ESPN's "pros;" indeed, better than most. Dan Parkhurst did the play by play for the Worcester regional; he's the UNH radio voice and very good. Thus, he actually described much of action so you knew names of who had the puck, etc; something hard to pick up on TV, especially if one doesn't know the other team. If anything, perhaps because he became aware of being on TV, he could have described more. Still, he seemed to know all the non-BC players and much about them, even though UNH played only BC during the year. Pros do that.

Do the networks train their color guys to say "great" or "nice job"? Even color announcers should be able to use specific adjectives, and those plus "perfect," "phenomenonal," and their verbosity of the mundane are vague, ambiguous, and, as you can surely see, IMO, maddening.

Even during the Miami-Michigan 3rd period and overtime, I often muted the sound; the color-guy detracted rather than added. The announcer was OK; he was sincerely excited and described thngs OK. But the color-guy could only talk about the winner going to the F4. He didn't mention the shots on goal domination until near the end of the 1st OT. Just one example; sure s college crew pro would have captured the moment much better.

Please don't tell me Sean Whats-his-face is a regular college color guy. If so, my sympathies. And Jim Paradise? Who hired him?

Comment

Barry Melrose said that UNH is the best skating team in college hockey, post hoc ergo propter hoc he must be incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable.
            "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
            Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by billb View Post
              Barry Melrose said that UNH is the best skating team in college hockey, post hoc ergo propter hoc he must be incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable.
              Yet, he didn't mention that RIT outskated UNH the whole game. Whatever he knows about ability and technique, he can't see what was right before his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Why don't they just take a TV crew from one of the schools in the regional or a crew from a hockey school close to the regional to do the broadcast? . . .
                Probably because they have to pay Barry anyway, and they need to get something out of him.

Kind of like an expensive free agent who sucks now. You might play him even if there's a rookie who is better.

Comment

Actually, you gotta give Mullet some credit - he's a hustler - a really good one. I saw him standing around after the UNH/RIT game talking to RIT fans, working for info. He definitely doesn't know enough about college hockey but he works the crowds to get enough 'info' for the next broadcast. Of course it was a six year old that he was talking to but hey, info is info!

Comment

Originally posted by sammich824 View Post
                    Actually, you gotta give Mullet some credit - he's a hustler - a really good one. I saw him standing around after the UNH/RIT game talking to RIT fans, working for info. He definitely doesn't know enough about college hockey but he works the crowds to get enough 'info' for the next broadcast. Of course it was a six year old that he was talking to but hey, info is info!
                    Was there a nanny nearby? Im not saying, Im just saying...

Comment

I went to 4 of the 15 games of this year's tourney and was spared the pain of having to listen to Melrose accept for tonight. Gary Thorne is a class act, Melrose is a self inflated fat bastard who should shave that goofy looking hair on his chin.
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Can you picture the Mullet as a regular on The Great White North! Hoser or Poser?!
                        Here we come!

Comment

Working...
                        X