Regional Syndication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regional Syndication

Again, I'm not trying to be a ball buster, but I have ESPNU and I'm able to view live games on ESPN360.com. How many people aren't and what makes me eligible for ESPN360 vs. other people? I know I've never paid for online access to 360.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
      Again, I'm not trying to be a ball buster, but I have ESPNU and I'm able to view live games on ESPN360.com. How many people aren't and what makes me eligible for ESPN360 vs. other people? I know I've never paid for online access to 360.
      It's entirely dependent on your cable provider. You don't need to pay for access -- either your ISP has signed on and pays for it, or they don't. Cox just picked it up down here in RI, so we have it -- and if you have Fios, you have it. But a lot of providers don't carry ESPN360 around the country:

This is from wiki --

ESPN360 is only available to ISPs that have paid for the service. This has been a point of controversy, since it leaves a large number of customers unable to use it. For instance, Time Warner Cable, the 2nd largest cable provider in the nation, has not paid for ESPN360.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
        The 1st weekend -- not the finals, but the first round -- of a March tennis tournament really has that much advertising/cross promotion/viewer interest going for it? Hey whatever you say, I doubt they'll pick it up as it's usually NESN that has an interest in this kind of thing anyway...but I'd be surprised if it was that big of a deal to pre-empt a tennis tournament that likely would draw fewer viewers than NCAA hockey around here.

EDIT -- Fox, not Comcast, is actually producing the Sony tennis TV coverage. Comcast nets aren't obligated to pick it up and show it live unless they have/want to. There's no reason Comcast NE couldn't pre-empt or show the tennis on tape delay...most of the time Comcast NE doesn't even televise the Fox regional hoops and football games anymore unless they fit a time slot where nothing else is going on. Tennis would be even a lower priority than that.
        As a Maine guy I still remember that a tennis match that ran long preempted the Maine-Michigan 3OT thriller in Providence. And while Dan Shermerhorn was winning that game, we were watching Lee Trevino sink a meaningless putt. That was at the Frozen Four, not a regional. And for a reminder that college hockey is still at the bottom of the viewership totem pole, I just say, "Timeout, Maryland!"

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          As a Maine guy I still remember that a tennis match that ran long preempted the Maine-Michigan 3OT thriller in Providence. And while Dan Shermerhorn was winning that game, we were watching Lee Trevino sink a meaningless putt. That was at the Frozen Four, not a regional. And for a reminder that college hockey is still at the bottom of the viewership totem pole, I just say, "Timeout, Maryland!"
          lol. I hear you my friend. I thankfully was at the Maine-Michigan game...I remember vividly the end, then the mad rush to go, get dinner, and then zoom back to the Civic Center for the nightcap.

Comment

Could it be that these TV outlets have contracts to air these other events, would have to pay to escape them, would have to compensate those that paid for advertising on them, pay ESPN for the rights to air the hockey games, then have to sell the advertising to make up the difference...
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Could it be that these TV outlets have contracts to air these other events, would have to pay to escape them, would have to compensate those that paid for advertising on them, pay ESPN for the rights to air the hockey games, then have to sell the advertising to make up the difference...
              It's probably worth it if there's a team of interest involved for a local outlet.
              I don't know how it works specifically, but I don't think it's all that big of a deal if a local outlet really wants to air these games...the one issue with ESPN in the past was that they were apparently giving Fox regional outlets a really hard time the last time they syndicated the hockey games, hence Fox North and some others couldn't jump in as they used to.

We'll find out when the list gets released.

Comment

It's probably worth it if there's a team of interest involved for a local outlet.
                I don't know how it works specifically, but I don't think it's all that big of a deal if a local outlet really wants to air these games...the one issue with ESPN in the past was that they were apparently giving Fox regional outlets a really hard time the last time they syndicated the hockey games, hence Fox North and some others couldn't jump in as they used to.

We'll find out when the list gets released.
                ESPN giving FSN outlets programming would be like McDonalds giving Burger King hamburger. They have a great deal invested in the production, they certainly have every right to recoup their costs, especially when allowing a competitor to use their product.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Every year the same BS with the coverage. In the past I have seen a local PBS station pick up the game in the area of one of the schools playing. No ads' just a pledge drive between per. I heard they made a net full of money from the loyal, hungry fans who wanted to be able to see the game.

Was listening to the Michigan's coaches show and he had low marks for ESPN and the way they handle to whole package. He said the conference call was hogged by ESPN with them telling everyone how they were going to run the show.

Being that cable channels like ESPN can do anything they want screw the cost, they just jack the cable fee to run them. Nothing to do with advertising at all. Then why not show the games like they should be 15 sec between stop's and no 2-3 min breaks for gold sales or Popiel pocket-fishermen ads.
                  He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                    Every year the same BS with the coverage. In the past I have seen a local PBS station pick up the game in the area of one of the schools playing. No ads' just a pledge drive between per. I heard they made a net full of money from the loyal, hungry fans who wanted to be able to see the game.
                    There's nothing that says this can't happen again this year though. That was my point in starting the thread, instead of b* about ESPN, warranted as it may be (and I'm not accusing you), start calling your local PBS, ABC, independent stations, etc. and asking them to pick up the games.

Comment

The 1st weekend -- not the finals, but the first round -- of a March tennis tournament really has that much advertising/cross promotion/viewer interest going for it? Hey whatever you say, I doubt they'll pick it up as it's usually NESN that has an interest in this kind of thing anyway...but I'd be surprised if it was that big of a deal to pre-empt a tennis tournament that likely would draw fewer viewers than NCAA hockey around here.

EDIT -- Fox, not Comcast, is actually producing the Sony tennis TV coverage. Comcast nets aren't obligated to pick it up and show it live unless they have/want to. There's no reason Comcast NE couldn't pre-empt or show the tennis on tape delay...most of the time Comcast NE doesn't even televise the Fox regional hoops and football games anymore unless they fit a time slot where nothing else is going on. Tennis would be even a lower priority than that.
                      Pre-empt they will...at least according to zap2it.com (tv listings site).

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/coll...EP000479851188

BC and Alaska fans can catch game one of the Northeast Regional on CSN-New England at 1:30 EDT.

Enjoy!

Comment

Whether this is helpful or not, i'm not sure, but here goes:

At my parents home they have Charter cable and internet, so they have access to ESPN360. When I signed on last time I was home, there was a button on the 360 home page for "Remote Access". So, since I don't get E360 up at school here, I was able to link my ESPN account while I was home and now I am able to view E360 from anywhere in the country, no matter what ISP i'm on.

SO, if you know anybody who has access to E360, tell them to make a bogus espn account, go to ESPN360.com, have them click on "remote access" and validate it, then have them send you the username and password. Voila, you now have access to it. Also tell them you'll buy them dinner next time they see you. (and maybe me too)

Good luck gentlemen.

Comment

Still no new info on ncaa.com/broadcast

Comment

North Dakota - Yale game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports North (channel 668 on Directv):

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=74457

Comment

dare I ask if any of the BC games got picked up yet?

Comment

Originally posted by fargosioux View Post
                                North Dakota - Yale game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports North (channel 668 on Directv):

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=74457
                                Thanks for the info. I can get that feed here in the hockey wasteland.
                                Start a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Start a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                                X