Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

    Originally posted by nmupepbanddrummer View Post
    as long as they don't play TOO soft with that lead which was the case against Alaska and Ferris.
    Soft??? That would insinuate that the effort was lacking, that they just laid back. That was hardly the case in either game.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

      Nobody in the St Paul regional scares me, least of all St Cloud. The traditional second half swoon seems to be late in arriving this year, so now would be an excellent time for that to happen. NMU can beat the Huskies, Badgers, and Catamounts. I know some people very close to the team read this so I've got just one thing I want to say to the team: Shoot the mother effing puck more! You may get a weird deflection, and it may end up at the back of the net, or you may get a nice rebound that you can go top shelf with. The PP looked way out of sync. Wasting half the PP cycling the puck isn't going to win games. I think part of the problem is the Swedes looking for that finesse goal. Some of the Canadian and American boys need to teach them to appreciate the hack and whack garbage goal, like the one Cherny got on Saturday.

      There's no way I'll be able to make it Friday, but I'm hoping to be there Saturday to watch the Cats take down Bucky, and punch their ticket to their first Frozen Four in 19 years.

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

        This is an interesting matchup and reminds me a lot of both NMU series vs. UNO. In those two series the home team swept and it was a tale of two different NMU teams. NMU was dominant at home on the large ice and looked lost and a always a step behind in Omaha when the much smaller UNO team showed tremendous quickness.

        If this game feels less like a St. Cloud home game and more of a neautral nice affair then I'm sure NMU will find a level of comfort in the building and play well.

        I'm going to say the winner will take this by a single goal and it will be a cat and dog fight all the way through. While Mark Olver has been quite lately it is my hope that he leads his Wildcats to victory and a much more interesting matchup against Wisconsin...does anybody remember NMU's sweep in Madison last season and the 6-5 comeback victory in the last 10 minutes of that game???

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

          Originally posted by Wisconsin Wildcat View Post
          Nobody in the St Paul regional scares me, least of all St Cloud. The traditional second half swoon seems to be late in arriving this year, so now would be an excellent time for that to happen. NMU can beat the Huskies, Badgers, and Catamounts. I know some people very close to the team read this so I've got just one thing I want to say to the team: Shoot the mother effing puck more! You may get a weird deflection, and it may end up at the back of the net, or you may get a nice rebound that you can go top shelf with. The PP looked way out of sync. Wasting half the PP cycling the puck isn't going to win games. I think part of the problem is the Swedes looking for that finesse goal. Some of the Canadian and American boys need to teach them to appreciate the hack and whack garbage goal, like the one Cherny got on Saturday.

          There's no way I'll be able to make it Friday, but I'm hoping to be there Saturday to watch the Cats take down Bucky, and punch their ticket to their first Frozen Four in 19 years.

          I think Wisco is the hands down favorite. Yes, we beat them 2-0 but it took M Lee standing on his head to do so and you can't count on those types of performances game in game out.

          I think the UNM vs. SCSU game is a toss up. While there is no reason to be "scared" of SCSU they certainly are capable of beating anyone in the country. We've had quality road wins against Denver, UND, and Wisconsin this year.
          "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

          Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

            Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
            I think Wisco is the hands down favorite.
            I disagree. The top 3 seeds in this region have very similar records. I think it's up for grabs, and the people who think Bucky has something in the tank to win "it all" are sadly mistaken.

            Focusing on the game at hand....

            I will admit I know very little about St Cloud. From what I saw of them against Nodak, I think NMU can and will hang with them. I think Mojo's right about this being a very close game. It'll be decided late in the 3rd, if not OT. Olver may find his groove again, but my money's on Florek for the game winner. The Cats have to get the puck to the net though. Waiting for the perfect shot isn't going to work.
            Last edited by Wisconsin Wildcat; 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM.

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

              This is St. Cloud's year. Dean Blais said Mike Lee will lead St. Cloud to a national championship. Dean wouldn't lie, would he?

              What does Barry Melrose say?
              Bob is making me concerned
              I am the voice of reason

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                I think that SCSU will win its first NCAA tournament game. When UMD played Northern Michigan, they were very average, and albeit that the game was played very very early in the season, I believe that St. Cloud has more skill and more importantly, more depth than NMU... and I never thought I'd say this... but since SCSU is the only REAL Minnesota team in the NCAA tournament... I guess I have to say... GO Huskies!!

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                  Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post

                  I think the UNM vs. SCSU game is a toss up. While there is no reason to be "scared" of SCSU they certainly are capable of beating anyone in the country. We've had quality road wins against Denver, UND, and Wisconsin this year.
                  I didnt know New Mexico had a team?
                  Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

                  Born a Black Bear
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

                  A NMU Wildcat for Life
                  1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

                  NMU Hockey
                  2006-2007: 15-24-2
                  2007-2008: 20-20-4
                  2008-2009: 18-16-5


                  1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                    Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
                    I think that SCSU will win its first NCAA tournament game. When UMD played Northern Michigan, they were very average, and albeit that the game was played very very early in the season, I believe that St. Cloud has more skill and more importantly, more depth than NMU... and I never thought I'd say this... but since SCSU is the only REAL Minnesota team in the NCAA tournament... I guess I have to say... GO Huskies!!
                    Let's make sure we are on the same page. That was third game of the year AT UMD which NMU WON 3-1? Hmmm. Ok. Study that tape hard boys...it will serve you well. Oh yeah, the goalie was our back-up who hails from Minnesota. Walt likes to give the local boys a little time in front of the "home" crowd.

                    Average we were in that WIN on the ROAD in the THIRD game of the season with our BACKUP goalie on what I believe was a SUNDAY night.

                    Peace

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                      I'd be interested in the size and speed of SCSU. It seems to me that after Michigan any team NMU faces will look slow in comparison. The experience and, hopefully, the lessons learned from Michigan game should serve the Cat's well.

                      Thoughts?

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                        Originally posted by 840MD View Post
                        I'd be interested in the size and speed of SCSU. It seems to me that after Michigan any team NMU faces will look slow in comparison. The experience and, hopefully, the lessons learned from Michigan game should serve the Cat's well.

                        Thoughts?
                        I think we are one of the fastest teams in the country, and I would bet on novak head to head against anyone in the country.
                        Originally posted by Mankato student
                        Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                        "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                        -- Peter Klein

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                          Originally posted by Wisconsin Wildcat View Post
                          Nobody in the St Paul regional scares me, least of all St Cloud. The traditional second half swoon seems to be late in arriving this year, so now would be an excellent time for that to happen. NMU can beat the Huskies, Badgers, and Catamounts. I know some people very close to the team read this so I've got just one thing I want to say to the team: Shoot the mother effing puck more! You may get a weird deflection, and it may end up at the back of the net, or you may get a nice rebound that you can go top shelf with. The PP looked way out of sync. Wasting half the PP cycling the puck isn't going to win games. I think part of the problem is the Swedes looking for that finesse goal. Some of the Canadian and American boys need to teach them to appreciate the hack and whack garbage goal, like the one Cherny got on Saturday.

                          There's no way I'll be able to make it Friday, but I'm hoping to be there Saturday to watch the Cats take down Bucky, and punch their ticket to their first Frozen Four in 19 years.
                          Nice motivational speech, coach. As for your "shoot any chance you get" strategy, sure, you might get a deflection OR with St. Cloud's speed you could just as easily get a blocked shot that leads to a breakaway or 2-1 going the other way.

                          Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                          This is an interesting matchup and reminds me a lot of both NMU series vs. UNO. In those two series the home team swept and it was a tale of two different NMU teams. NMU was dominant at home on the large ice and looked lost and a always a step behind in Omaha when the much smaller UNO team showed tremendous quickness.

                          If this game feels less like a St. Cloud home game and more of a neautral nice affair then I'm sure NMU will find a level of comfort in the building and play well.
                          This game should feel like a St. Cloud home game (key word in bold.) I can't imagine any Wisconsin fans will be rooting for St. Cloud (Huskies just beat the Badgers even though Wisco carried most of the play) so hopefully we have a big contingent of Husky fans there. SCSU plays on a bigger sheet as well and in the past has struggled on the small ice. That hasn't really been the case this year and I think the fact that they just played two big games in the exact same rink is going to go a long way, especially for our younger guys who seemed to make a significant number of mistakes over the weekend.

                          Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
                          I think Wisco is the hands down favorite. Yes, we beat them 2-0 but it took M Lee standing on his head to do so and you can't count on those types of performances game in game out.

                          I think the UNM vs. SCSU game is a toss up. While there is no reason to be "scared" of SCSU they certainly are capable of beating anyone in the country. We've had quality road wins against Denver, UND, and Wisconsin this year.
                          I think they prefer "NMU" But yes, it's St. Cloud in the NCAAs. Even though they're the higher seed it's definitely a toss up.
                          Last edited by motox; 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                            Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                            I didnt know New Mexico had a team?
                            Sorry, just an honest mistake, no disrespect intended.

                            If you want to call us Jan, SCCC, or One and Done U to make things even, go ahead!
                            "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

                            Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                              Go cloud! Get er done.
                              Go Gophers!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: NCAA Tournament: NMU Wildcats vs. SCSU Huskies

                                whats the deal with espn360.com? is that a tv channel as well as a website?
                                This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
                                www.twitter.com/johnnyredshoes

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X