• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Re: Format for 2011 WCHA final Five

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
    So you only went to the very first game of your regular season this year?

Leave a comment:

• RedFreak
    replied

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    I'd rather not see my team twice if the second time is in a meaningless game.
    So you only went to the very first game of your regular season this year?

Leave a comment:

• Bakunin
    replied

It was VERY nice to be assured that you will get to see your team twice.
    I'd rather not see my team twice if the second time is in a meaningless game.
    kick in the head to the travelers is the first game on Thursday is at 2 rather than 7, which for many means a fourth hotel night (W,R,F,S). All and all, this sticks it to the travellers.
    So book ten nights on hotels.com before then and cash in the freebie for that fourth night in St. Paul.

I wouldn't be opposed to them pushing the start times of the games back - having the first one at 3:30 and the second one at 8 for example.

Leave a comment:

• RedFreak
    replied

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    His point is a valid one, though. If you travel to the regional, you are running the risk of seeing your team lose on the first day. If that happens, do you just say * it and leave? Or do you go to the other game(s)?
    Nothing to be done about the Regional, but these two weekends (WCHA/Regional) occur back-to-back, which compounds the problem with the new format, assuming you go to both. Speaking as someone who has been to every WCHA Final 4/5, and who goes to all the games no matter who's playing, I have had a lot of experience with the old format. It was VERY nice to be assured that you will get to see your team twice.

An additional kick in the head to the travelers is the first game on Thursday is at 2 rather than 7, which for many means a fourth hotel night (W,R,F,S). All and all, this sticks it to the travellers.

Leave a comment:

• Bakunin
    replied

Says the man from Minneapolis.
    His point is a valid one, though. If you travel to the regional, you are running the risk of seeing your team lose on the first day. If that happens, do you just say * it and leave? Or do you go to the other game(s)?

The 3rd place game is typically not well-attended, the atmosphere is generally dead, and more often than not, one or both teams involved aren't exactly bringing their A game. It's rather anti-climactic when compared to all the other games played in the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• RedFreak
    replied

Originally posted by goalie heckler View Post
    IMHO, the lack of a third place game is a big drawback to traveling fans.

In the current format, if your team is ranked 1-3, you know they are going to play two games. If you're ranked 4-5, you know that if you win one game, you're guaranteed three games. As a traveling fan, getting the reward of seeing your team two or three times makes up for the travel and expense in St. Paul. This weekend, the risk/reward to me for North Dakota was worth the trip.

Next year, the guaranteed games for each team is only one. So, a fan has to be a fan of the league or college hockey in general... I just don' t know about the committment of most fans on this one. I think most folks come to see their team, not the WCHA. ...would be interesting to see what a Denver, CC, Michigan Tech, Alaska-Anchorage, Omaha, and Bemidji Final Five would do to attendance TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Again, having a two-game guarantee (when you earn it) seems like a very valuable thing to the traveling fan. Next year, two teams would earn a three-game guarantee on Thursday, if there was a Third Place game.

(Finally, I will admit that the chance at a National Championship is the ultimate prize and that playing so many games in the last few weeks is rough. However, the Final Five has consistently been a much better event than the Regionals/Frozen Four for fans.)
    As someone who has to make a big commitment in time and dollars every year to go to St. Paul, I think you've nailed it for a lot of us travelers.

Leave a comment:

• RedFreak
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I don't think the 1 vs 2 games in a weekend is a big deal. Its the same format as the NCAA tournament. You travel for 1 guaranteed game, and if you win you get a 2nd one. Same expense issues.
    Says the man from Minneapolis.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Most locals to the F5 (no matter what fanbase) don't even bother with a 3rd place game.

Also, many people take the F5 Thursday off, anyways, so now instead of hanging out somewhere, they actually get to see a game they care about.

I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Eaglefan06
    replied

You don't enjoy watching your team?

You don't think that crowds make it more enjoyable for the players?

Good attendance and quality play aren't exclusive. You can have both. So, I don't know what you're advocating... would you like the games to be played without fans?
    Wow, talk about skewing a post to read what you want to read.

Fact is you said there should be a consolation because of attendance, when in reality attendance shouldn't play a factor. The only reason there are consolation games now is because its a way to make more money. However, these conference tournament games should be about earning your spot in the next round and if you don't, you shouldn't get a chance to improve your NCAA tournament status like now.

It will be a great day when conference tournaments a) stop allowing all teams to make the postseason and b) stop having consolation games.

Leave a comment:

• goalie heckler
    replied

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
    This is the sad part about college sports now-a-days. Its more about attendance than the teams on the ice.
    You don't enjoy watching your team?

You don't think that crowds make it more enjoyable for the players?

Good attendance and quality play aren't exclusive. You can have both. So, I don't know what you're advocating... would you like the games to be played without fans?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Maybe you're unfamiliar with the average Regional attendance verses the Final Five attendance... because you seem to contradict yourself. The Final Five is much better attended.

Have you ever travelled to a Final Five or NCAA Regional?
    Yes to both. Of course the FF has only been in 1 other state (WI) which isnt that far away.

Plus with 5 Minnesota based teams going forward, you would think the attendance will still be good as the local teams and alumni show up.
    Last edited by JF_Gophers; 03-21-2010, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eaglefan06
    replied

Maybe you're unfamiliar with the average Regional attendance verses the Final Five attendance... because you seem to contradict yourself. The Final Five is much better attended.

This is the sad part about college sports now-a-days. Its more about attendance than the teams on the ice.

Leave a comment:

• goalie heckler
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I don't think the 1 vs 2 games in a weekend is a big deal. Its the same format as the NCAA tournament. You travel for 1 guaranteed game, and if you win you get a 2nd one. Same expense issues.

Leave a comment:

• Eaglefan06
    replied

In the current format, if your team is ranked 1-3, you know they are going to play two games. If you're ranked 4-5, you know that if you win one game, you're guaranteed three games. As a traveling fan, getting the reward of seeing your team two or three times makes up for the travel and expense in St. Paul. This weekend, the risk/reward to me for North Dakota was worth the trip.

Next year, the guaranteed games for each team is only one. So, a fan has to be a fan of the league or college hockey in general... I just don' t know about the committment of most fans on this one. I think most folks come to see their team, not the WCHA. ...would be interesting to see what a Denver, CC, Michigan Tech, Alaska-Anchorage, Omaha, and Bemidji Final Five would do to attendance TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Again, having a two-game guarantee (when you earn it) seems like a very valuable thing to the traveling fan. Next year, two teams would earn a three-game guarantee on Thursday, if there was a Third Place game.

(Finally, I will admit that the chance at a National Championship is the ultimate prize and that playing so many games in the last few weeks is rough. However, the Final Five has consistently been a much better event than the Regionals/Frozen Four for fans.)
    Consolation games are terrible. All conferences should do away with them, and I am very glad the WCHA is doing without them.

If you lose the play-in or semifinal game, you don't deserve another chance to improve your PWR or NCAA tournament worth. Makes winning MUCH more valuable.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X