X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal League
    replied
    Re: NCAA Selection Show

Melrose: "North Dakota had to win this game. They probably weren't gonna get in if they didn't win their conference."

Good call, Mullet.

Leave a comment:

• LTsatch
    replied

If I remember correctly, we had a hungover Barry Melrose there last year as well, thrilling stuff. He really showed his college hockey knowledge last year, which is nil. Get Doc Emrick to do it, at least he will sound smart, even if he is reading a script.

Leave a comment:

• Turkey Buckett
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    Enjoy watching hockey tonight.
    Isn't that all that really matters?

Leave a comment:

• IrishHockeyFan
    replied

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
    That announcement actually does a reasonable job of not adding too much fake drama!

Of course, if ESPN2 puts a camera on that gathering, they'll probably pretend they/Bemidji don't actually know if they're in anyway.

As I mentioned before, I really dislike the idiotic fake drama some attempt to create on Sunday morning over who's in and who's out. I think there's enough excitement in learning the details that there's no need to create any drama over whether a team is in; to do that only falsely muddies what is actually a transparent process as far as who is in and who is out. Since I appreciate the transparency, I don't like seeing that happen.
    I've noticed also that in the last couple of seasons CBS has stopped getting reaction shots from any team that doesn't already know its in the basketball tourney. Their cameras are trained only on the small schools that won their conference tourney or the big BCS schools that knew they were in, like Syracuse.

The reactions from teams/fans like at the Robert Morris gym are ridiculous. These people all knew (or should have known) they were in since they won their conference tournament 5 days earlier and they knew they were going to be someones you-know-what in the 1-16 or 2-15 game.

At least the function still exists for the basketball field to be released on TV since there are a fair number of schools vying for the at-large spots and there are always 5-10 who aren't sure they are in who get in and at least that many schools who are hoping and come away disappointed. In hockey we all know when the final buzzer sounds the night before who is in and who isn't. I guess it is worth watching though because we do get our first look at where everyone is going and there are always a few teams seeded 5th to 16th who end up somewhere other than where we expected.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Can we get the Wooger in there, too?
    Why would Norton mention the Wooger?

Leave a comment:

• WILD E WOLVERINE
    replied

Then you don't understand college hockey and the selection process enough and I'm done arguing with you. Enjoy watching hockey tonight.
    My real debate was the 4 team conference - thanks for the banter. In the end I pretty much agree with you. The yes was just a crazy poke to get a response. Enjoy the hockey as well.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Good Norton drinking game. Whenever he says the words "Parker", "York", or mentions a player's high school, pound a beer. You'll be blitzed in ten minutes.
    Can we get the Wooger in there, too?

Leave a comment:

• The Hallucination
    replied

I agree. It's also the reason guys like Moy can claim only that they have predicted the "field," not where the field is going over the last X number of years. It also gives teams a reason for things like this. What's wrong with that?
    That announcement actually does a reasonable job of not adding too much fake drama!

Of course, if ESPN2 puts a camera on that gathering, they'll probably pretend they/Bemidji don't actually know if they're in anyway.

As I mentioned before, I really dislike the idiotic fake drama some attempt to create on Sunday morning over who's in and who's out. I think there's enough excitement in learning the details that there's no need to create any drama over whether a team is in; to do that only falsely muddies what is actually a transparent process as far as who is in and who is out. Since I appreciate the transparency, I don't like seeing that happen.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
    Yes!
    Then you don't understand college hockey and the selection process enough and I'm done arguing with you. Enjoy watching hockey tonight.

Leave a comment:

• WILD E WOLVERINE
    replied

Why? What happens when next year when RIT goes 37-0, winning the two AHA quarterfinal games and the AHA semi but then loses the AHA title game because American International (who finished 2-32 and 11th in AHA) gets hot for their only loss? So you're saying the NCAA should tell "college hockey" that RIT and AIC in that scenerio shouldn't both deserve to get in?

I ask again - how's this different than this years Michigan, who doesn't deserve to be in the tourney unless if they win tonight's game? (or, let's say, Brown, who was two ECACHL tourney wins away from the same thing UAH did)
    Yes!

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
    All I'm saying is it can't be the norm - this was a one time deal, but NCAA needs to do what it can to make sure it does not happen again. Really this has nothing to do with the teams I'm rooting for. I won't celebrate something that I would never have liked to see happen.
    Why? What happens when next year when RIT goes 37-0, winning the two AHA quarterfinal games and the AHA semi but then loses the AHA title game because American International (who finished 2-32 and 11th in AHA) gets hot for their only loss? So you're saying the NCAA should tell "college hockey" that RIT and AIC in that scenerio shouldn't both deserve to get in?

I ask again - how's this different than this years Michigan, who doesn't deserve to be in the tourney unless if they win tonight's game? (or, let's say, Brown, who was two ECACHL tourney wins away from the same thing UAH did)

Leave a comment:

• WILD E WOLVERINE
    replied

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    I have to agree with Red here. Allowing the CHA an autobid in it's last year was the right thing for the NCAA to do. The NCAA is not known for doing the right thing so we should celebrate that.

If your team gets left out because UAH played their way in - you should have played better or won your tournament.
    All I'm saying is it can't be the norm - this was a one time deal, but NCAA needs to do what it can to make sure it does not happen again. Really this has nothing to do with the teams I'm rooting for. I won't celebrate something that I would never have liked to see happen.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Good Norton drinking game. Whenever he says the words "Parker", "York", or mentions a player's high school, pound a beer. You'll be blitzed in ten minutes.
    And so will he.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
    I definitely appreciate that there is a selection show to show us on live television exactly who is going where. We all know who's in and who's out and probably who is in the 1, 2, 3, and 4 bands, but there are surprising tweaks to exactly who is in which regional playing whom and and I enjoy seeing those revealed.
    I agree. It's also the reason guys like Moy can claim only that they have predicted the "field," not where the field is going over the last X number of years. It also gives teams a reason for things like this. What's wrong with that?

Leave a comment:

• scullyer
    replied

You win the thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X