Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Selection Show

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
    well yes there was a problem - if you did not like it, mister ridiculous.
    As a Michigan fan, you should understand completely. Look at Alabama-Huntsville like the Wolverines - a team that didn't deserve to make the tourney, but got hot at the right time, and won the one game that they needed to (if UMich wins today). If they hadn't won, they wouldn't have been in (like UMich won't if they lose today). Then look at Bemidji State like Miami - they proved all year that they won enough games to get in. Doesn't matter that they faltered at the end, they're getting in.

If that doesn't make sense, read this. Like I said there, sometimes it's not about Michigan, et al. Sometimes it's about BSU, UAH, RMU and NU...
    Last edited by moose97; 03-20-2010, 01:19 PM.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
      I think a better course of action would have been to give the CHA "guaranteed representation" instead of an autobid. That is to say, they only send their conference champion if nobody else in the league qualifies as an at-large.
      Why? So that half-way through the year when BSU was way out in front, the league could give up on selling tickets to its conference tourney/farce that had absolutely no purpose? Who would show up to watch four teams go through the motions when everyone knew that BSU wrapped up the "guaranteed representation."

And what's BSU's motivation, besides not getting kids hurt? Brilliant plan there...
      Last edited by moose97; 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM.

AHA:
      ECAC:

Comment

The selection show is a waste of time - the old fat white haired guy spends the entire 30 mins talking about how great BU and BC are and you'd think the NCAA's is the Hockey East tournament or something... and yet everyone knows the WCHA dominates every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          There wasn't any problem with the autobids this year. Either you were in favor of the CHA getting an autobid this season or you weren't before the decision was made, but once the decision was made we all knew what might happen. It's a ridiculous argument and it's obviously one we don't have to worry about anymore past this season, unless you're one of the kooks who think the Atlantic Hockey autobid is undeserved.
          Why don't you take the stick out of your *** and lighten up. Been doing nothing but *****ing all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            Be happy we have a selection show at all and a reasonably transparent selection process underneath.

. . .

We have it great now!
            Amen

Originally posted by 4Four4
            This show in my opinion is anti-climatic. After today 99% of the teams already know if they are in the NCAA tourney. Maybe they should just discontinue the selection process and televise repeats of pumpkin pushing.
            Keep in mind that the mere fact that you're reading this thread means that you know more about the selection process than 95% of all college hockey fans. It isn't anticlimactic for the other 5% (all 10 or 15 of them who are interested enough to tune in, but aren't among the 95%). That having been said,
            Originally posted by Priceless
            11:30AM Eastern, the Deuce
            Over/Under (or maybe Before/After) for the first "Ala-friggin'-bama? and Michigan/BU/Minnesota isn't in?!?!?!" post: 11:58 EDT.

Before/After for the first "Simple Math" retort. 11:58:30
            Last edited by CLS; 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I definitely appreciate that there is a selection show to show us on live television exactly who is going where. We all know who's in and who's out and probably who is in the 1, 2, 3, and 4 bands, but there are surprising tweaks to exactly who is in which regional playing whom and and I enjoy seeing those revealed.

Whether or not I can take the idiotic fake "suspense" over whether particular teams will make it usually depends on my mood that morning- it can be hilarious, infuriatingly annoying, or both. Make no mistake though: it is idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                This is my favorite part. There have been years when I've wondered if they even understand the PairWise. I also love when they mispronounce school and player names.
                Who is that dusty relic they roll out for this show every year? Norton? His ramblings are worth watching itself.
                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                  Who is that dusty relic they roll out for this show every year? Norton? His ramblings are worth watching itself.
                  Yeah it's Norton. Regardless of who gets in, here are his FF:

BC
                  BU
                  North Dakoter
                  UMaine
                  Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by scullyer View Post
                    Yeah it's Norton. Regardless of who gets in, here are his FF:

BC
                    BU
                    North Dakoter
                    UMaine
                    Good Norton drinking game. Whenever he says the words "Parker", "York", or mentions a player's high school, pound a beer. You'll be blitzed in ten minutes.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Good Norton drinking game. Whenever he says the words "Parker", "York", or mentions a player's high school, pound a beer. You'll be blitzed in ten minutes.
                      You win the thread.
                      Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
                        I definitely appreciate that there is a selection show to show us on live television exactly who is going where. We all know who's in and who's out and probably who is in the 1, 2, 3, and 4 bands, but there are surprising tweaks to exactly who is in which regional playing whom and and I enjoy seeing those revealed.
                        I agree. It's also the reason guys like Moy can claim only that they have predicted the "field," not where the field is going over the last X number of years. It also gives teams a reason for things like this. What's wrong with that?

AHA:
                        ECAC:

Comment

And so will he.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            I have to agree with Red here. Allowing the CHA an autobid in it's last year was the right thing for the NCAA to do. The NCAA is not known for doing the right thing so we should celebrate that.

If your team gets left out because UAH played their way in - you should have played better or won your tournament.
                            All I'm saying is it can't be the norm - this was a one time deal, but NCAA needs to do what it can to make sure it does not happen again. Really this has nothing to do with the teams I'm rooting for. I won't celebrate something that I would never have liked to see happen.

Comment

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
                              All I'm saying is it can't be the norm - this was a one time deal, but NCAA needs to do what it can to make sure it does not happen again. Really this has nothing to do with the teams I'm rooting for. I won't celebrate something that I would never have liked to see happen.
                              Why? What happens when next year when RIT goes 37-0, winning the two AHA quarterfinal games and the AHA semi but then loses the AHA title game because American International (who finished 2-32 and 11th in AHA) gets hot for their only loss? So you're saying the NCAA should tell "college hockey" that RIT and AIC in that scenerio shouldn't both deserve to get in?

I ask again - how's this different than this years Michigan, who doesn't deserve to be in the tourney unless if they win tonight's game? (or, let's say, Brown, who was two ECACHL tourney wins away from the same thing UAH did)

AHA:
                              ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                                Why? What happens when next year when RIT goes 37-0, winning the two AHA quarterfinal games and the AHA semi but then loses the AHA title game because American International (who finished 2-32 and 11th in AHA) gets hot for their only loss? So you're saying the NCAA should tell "college hockey" that RIT and AIC in that scenerio shouldn't both deserve to get in?

I ask again - how's this different than this years Michigan, who doesn't deserve to be in the tourney unless if they win tonight's game? (or, let's say, Brown, who was two ECACHL tourney wins away from the same thing UAH did)
                                Yes!

Comment

Working...
                                X