Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

From Boonetown to Muscle Shoals:

DU's Women's golf team seeks its 7th SBC Conference Championship beginning tomorrow. Stephanie Sherlock and Kimberly Kim are rated # 1 and #2 in the conference.

Live scoring will be available on golfstats.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
      Great story!
      Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

There's been some questions if DU could replace Colborne's scholarship with a recruit at this late hour. Ryan Walters scored 61 points in the USHL this season and was MVP of the All-Star Game. He would certainly be worth a look if DU had any scholarship money left. 35 schools were after him three years ago.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...minnesota.html
        Last edited by dggoddard; 04-18-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          There's been some questions if DU could replace Colborne's scholarship with a recruit at this late hour. Ryan Walters scored 61 points in the USHL this season and was MVP of the All-Star Game. He would certainly be worth a look if DU had any scholarship money left. 35 schools were after him three years ago.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...minnesota.html
          say more things like that!!!
          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
          Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
            say more things like that!!!
            If you look at Heisenberg's recruiting site the Gophers have 21 recruits and the Badgers 19 recruits committed between next season and 2012. DU only has 12 players.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...0N2ctdWc&gid=1

Since there are only 18 scholarships per roster, either a bunch of the Gopher and Badger players aren't getting full rides or several of these players will never make it to campus or have to delay their entry by a season or two.

I call this the "Phill Kessel Effect." Both schools don't want to miss out on the next Phenom, so they fall over each other to sign the hottest 15 and 16 year-olds in the country. The irony of course is that Kessel only played one year of college hockey.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 04-19-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

If you look at Heisenberg's recruiting site the Gophers have 21 recruits and the Badgers 19 recruits committed between next season and 2012. DU only has 12 players.

Since there are only 18 scholarships per roster, either a bunch of the Gopher and Badger players aren't getting full rides or several of these players will never make it to campus or have to delay their entry by a season or two.

I call this the "Phill Kessel Effect." Both schools don't want to miss out on the next Phenom, so they fall over each other to sign the hottest 15 and 16 year-olds in the country. The irony of course is that Kessel only played one year of college hockey.
              Wisco had a BIG senior class--at least 7-- so showing 9 incoming in 2010 doesn't seem totally out of line.

On the other hand Minnie seems out of control. Small senior class(Lucia and Barriball &???), one early departure( Schroeder), and 13 incoming! The 3 most recent commits have '89 birthdays I would think they would be coming in this year. What happens to the other 10? Does Lucia believe all his players will be early departures?

Correction: Just read that Barriball got a redshirt. So who is leaving?
              Last edited by vizoroo; 04-19-2010, 12:00 PM.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                Wisco had a BIG senior class--at least 7-- so showing 9 incoming in 2010 doesn't seem totally out of line.

On the other hand Minnie seems out of control. Small senior class(Lucia and Barriball &???), one early departure( Schroeder), and 13 incoming! The 3 most recent commits have '89 birthdays I would think they would be coming in this year. What happens to the other 10? Does Lucia believe all his players will be early departures?

Correction: Just read that Barriball got a redshirt. So who is leaving?
                Minnesota has always been able to get kids from Minnesota to play in state for a 1/4 or 1/2 scholarship even if they received full rides elsewhere. Minnesota usually ratchets up the scholie as the player gets older. But if kids aren't leaving early, aren't graduating on time (Bariball) or they bring in extra freshman the scholie's can't increase.

Additionally parents in Minnesota, North Dakota & Wisconsin can send their kids to any state school in any of those states and only play "in-state" tuition.

Comment

The irony of course is that Kessel only played one year of college hockey.
                  And that Kessel didn't commit anywhere until late spring of his senior year of high school.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

It's as much to land the next Phil Kessel as it is to also lockout the other big school from getting such a player.

If you can take a kid 'off the board' with a verbal, it give a school more flexibility....

With partials and instate tuition, it's a huge advantage to schools like Minnesota and UW. A private school has much less flexibility in terms of scholies - they have to get kids from farther away without having the in-state discount.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Plus, they will probably lose another 3-4 to early departures as well on top of those 7 seniors.
                      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

First, MN doesn't have 21 recruits. One of them is Cepis who is already there.
                        Next, they lost 5 seniors plus an underclassman this year. They lose 7 seniors next year (assuming Barribal comes back), and 9 the year following. 20 recruits to fill those 22 spots for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 classes(assuming no additional undergrad defections) doesn't seem like it creates too big a problem.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          First, MN doesn't have 21 recruits. One of them is Cepis who is already there.
                          Next, they lost 5 seniors plus an underclassman this year. They lose 7 seniors next year (assuming Barribal comes back), and 9 the year following. 20 recruits to fill those 22 spots for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 classes(assuming no additional undergrad defections) doesn't seem like it creates too big a problem.
                          20 vs. 21 wasn't the issue, but I digress.

The Gophers hand out scholies to 15 and 16 year-olds like candy. Then big surprise, some of the kids don't pan out. Also they leave themselves very little wiggle room when an elite high school kid wants to come in early or a better player becomes available. Trust me I'm not complaining, their record over the past three seasons speaks for itself (7th, 5th, 7th).
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

DU's women golfers in 1st place after Day 1 of the SBC championships with 7 under par. 2nd place team is 12 over.
                            Kimberly Kim shot a 3 under 69 for Medalist honors.
                            5 0f 6 low scores belong to DU.
                            http://www.golfstatresults.com//publ...yers_1750.html

Great start!
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

20 vs. 21 wasn't the issue, but I digress.

The Gophers hand out scholies to 15 and 16 year-olds like candy. Then big surprise, some of the kids don't pan out. Also they leave themselves very little wiggle room when an elite high school kid wants to come in early or a better player becomes available. Trust me I'm not complaining, their record over the past three seasons speaks for itself (7th, 5th, 7th).
                              Aren't at least half of DU's committments also from 15 and 16 year olds? My recollection is a high percentage of UND's committments came from kids who are still 16, or maybe just about to turn 17.

BC, everyone's current poster child for how to do things, by my count has committments from at least four 15 year olds, probably more than MN, DU and UND put together, and another five 16 year olds.

Seems to be the way things are done now.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

DU has 14 players who have committed. The breakdown is that 8 were 17 or older and 6 were 16 or under when they committed. Only 1 was 15 and that is Dakota Mermis.

15 yrs - 1
                                16 yrs - 5
                                17 yrs - 3
                                18 yrs - 1
                                19 yrs - 2
                                20 yrs - 2
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X