Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

All Americans announced tonight, DU has 3 All West First Teamers. Congratulations on the well deserved honors to Chevy, Rock and Patty.

2010 West First Team
    Marc Cheverie, jr., G, Denver
    Brendan Smith, jr., D, Wisconsin
    Patrick Weircioch, so., D, Denver
    Blake Geoffrion, sr., F, Wisconsin
    Mark Olver, jr., F, Northern Michigan
    Rhett Rakhshani, sr., F, Denver

The last time DU had 3 or more 1st Team All Americans was in 1961 when they had 5. In 1961 there were only First Teams for the East and West.

1961 West
    GOALIE George Kirkwood - Denver University
    DEFENSE Marty Howe - Denver University
    DEFENSE Grant Munro - Denver University

FORWARD Red Berenson - Michigan
    FORWARD Bill Masterton - Denver University
    FORWARD Jerry Walker - Denver University

DU had 3 All Americans in 2005 but not all were on the West First Team. They also had four in 1986, again they were not all on the First Team. The only other time they had 3 West First Teamers was in 1960.

1960 West
    GOALIE George Cuculick - Michigan Tech
    DEFENSE Marty Howe - Denver University
    DEFENSE George Konik - Denver University

FORWARD Paul Coppo - Michigan Tech
    FORWARD Reg Morelli - North Dakota
    FORWARD Bill Masterton - Denver University
    Last edited by du78; 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      And who's responsibility is it to capture that elusive 10%?
      I consider myself lucky, I was in Denver for the sweep of UM and MTU. At that point, all of us had high hopes. I believe we peaked at that point. What happened after that? Wait, that includes the CC series, what happened after that? ****!!!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
        I consider myself lucky, I was in Denver for the sweep of UM and MTU. At that point, all of us had high hopes. I believe we peaked at that point. What happened after that? Wait, that includes the CC series, what happened after that? ****!!!!
        I think the Nutini injury really hurt the D especially in the defensive zone. I also think a lot of guys were playing with injuries that we didn't even know about. In one of Gwoz's late season weekly press conferences he mentioned that he had a number of players that weren't able to practice in the beginning of that week. By the time the games rolled around only Nutini and Wrenn were out.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          I think the Nutini injury really hurt the D especially in the defensive zone. I also think a lot of guys were playing with injuries that we didn't even know about. In one of Gwoz's late season weekly press conferences he mentioned that he had a number of players that weren't able to practice in the beginning of that week. By the time the games rolled around only Nutini and Wrenn were out.
          That's right, I forgot about that. I also forgot to mention Nutini and Ryder when thinking about next year. The more I think about it, the more I think we'll be just fine, as long as the goal tending holds up!! Congrats to Goeffrion, well deserved. I remember my Dad used to talk about Boom Boom. He told me Boom Boom invented the slap shot!!
          Finally, I don't know who to rout for tonight. I want to rout for the WCHA, but I don't want them to tie us in NCAA wins. BC is fun to watch with their speedy little players. Oh well, it should be a great game!!
          Tom Serratore

Comment

That's right, I forgot about that. I also forgot to mention Nutini and Ryder when thinking about next year. The more I think about it, the more I think we'll be just fine, as long as the goal tending holds up!! Congrats to Goeffrion, well deserved. I remember my Dad used to talk about Boom Boom. He told me Boom Boom invented the slap shot!!
            Finally, I don't know who to rout for tonight. I want to rout for the WCHA, but I don't want them to tie us in NCAA wins. BC is fun to watch with their speedy little players. Oh well, it should be a great game!!
            I got to watch Boom Boom when I was a kid and he was great. Boom Boom was marrried to Marlene Morenz (daughter of Hall of Famer Howie). Brian Morenz, a cousin of Howie's) went to DU in the late 1960s early 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              I agree with everything you said except for this. Boston College is in its 9th Frozen Four in the past 13 years. Clearly they compete for the National Championship virtually every season.

I would say that DU's recruiting has been on par with BC for only the past three years. Before then, we were losing players like Brock Bradford and the like to them. Colborne was the first player that I know of that we stole from their clutches.

As long as we can get quality recruits we will be OK. I expect DU to make the NCAA's next season. As we learned the hard way, being a #1 seed means nothing.

The other thing that you saw in the BC game Thursday night was great coaching and disciplined play. They made it impossible for the Redhawks to move the puck all night. After the game York talked about cutting off Miami's time and space. I respect Gwoz but sometimes (especially this year) I feel like he takes to passive of a role in big games. In the RIT game the boys were sitting on the boards during the long time outs and Gwoz wasn't drawing up plays or anything. We saw this many times during the regular season as well. I think that's a factor on your stat of BC getting to so many FF's. DU has just as much talent. Did you guys see how many coaches were on the BC bench? I counted 9 people in street clothes vs 4 on the Miami bench.
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

BC wins #4. Wisconsin does not win #7.
                It is Official--the 2009-2010 college hockey season is over.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  BC wins #4. Wisconsin does not win #7.
                  It is Official--the 2009-2010 college hockey season is over.
                  Oh God... and , bump
                  Tom Serratore

Comment

I was in Denver for the sweep of UM and MTU. At that point, all of us had high hopes. I believe we peaked at that point.
                    if your highwater mark is beating UM and MTU...
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Can't believe the season is over...we certainly have a different looking DU team to look forward to next season.

Comment

Courtesy of the Maple Leafs website

Since January 31st, who was the Leafs best player?
                        VOTE
                        Phil Kessel 26.41 %
                        Tyler Bozak 33.81 %
                        Dion Phaneuf 16.52 %
                        Jonas Gustavsson 23.26 %
                        (You can still vote at the Leafs site.)

Tyler got an assist tonight taking his season total to 27 points in 37 games.
                        Last edited by vizoroo; 04-11-2010, 11:52 PM.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

DU's NHL players heading to the playoffs regular season stats:

Paul Stastny 79 points plus 2
                          Matt Carle 35 points plus 19
                          Chris Butler 21 points minus 15
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Matt Carle helped put the nail in the Rangers coffin by scoring the tying goal in the 3rd period on the PP to make it 1-1. The Flyers went on to win in a shootout and knock the Rangers out of the playoffs.

Bagman is in mourning today.

Comment

====>Colorado has a champion at youth hockey's highest level. By beating the North Jersey Avalanche 5-1 on Sunday in Woodridge, Ill., the Colorado Thunderbirds, an under-16 squad, became the state's first triple-A team to win a Tier 1 national championship.

"Pretty awesome, and that's an understatement," said Thunderbirds coach Angelo Ricci, who also serves as the organization's director. "The most special thing about it is, it's going to last forever for the boys. It's a statement about them and Colorado hockey. In 30 or 40 years, they'll always remember being the first team ever to win a Tier 1 national title. It's pretty special."

The Thunderbirds, who previously won state and district championships, went 6-0 at nationals — outscoring their opponents 26-8. They finished 67-9-9 (36-1-3 at home) and on a 15-game winning streak
                              .<====
                              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                                ====>Colorado has a champion at youth hockey's highest level. By beating the North Jersey Avalanche 5-1 on Sunday in Woodridge, Ill., the Colorado Thunderbirds, an under-16 squad, became the state's first triple-A team to win a Tier 1 national championship.

"Pretty awesome, and that's an understatement," said Thunderbirds coach Angelo Ricci, who also serves as the organization's director. "The most special thing about it is, it's going to last forever for the boys. It's a statement about them and Colorado hockey. In 30 or 40 years, they'll always remember being the first team ever to win a Tier 1 national title. It's pretty special."

The Thunderbirds, who previously won state and district championships, went 6-0 at nationals — outscoring their opponents 26-8. They finished 67-9-9 (36-1-3 at home) and on a 15-game winning streak
                                .<====
                                It took a former Pioneer to coach them there. Ricci was a very good DU player in the Serratorre era, and it's great to see him have success in coaching. Well done, Angelo.

Comment

Working...
                                X