Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Chevy got a great deal for a 7th Round draft pick.

$170,000 bonus and $62,500 per year no matter where he plays in the minors. The kicker to the deal is that its only two years, so if Florida screws him, the Swedish guy is all-world or there is a logjam in the pipeline he can bolt.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 04-09-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      Chevy got a great deal for a 7th Round draft pick.

$170,000 bonus and $62,500 per year no matter where he plays in the minors. The kicker to the deal is that its only two years, so if Florida screws him, the Swedish guy is all-world or there is a logjam in the pipeline he can bolt.
      He sure did. Even if he has to play in the ECHL, he's still playing a game he loves and making a very nice wage for his age. To be the NCAA's best goalie and to graduate from DU in three years is a terrific legacy.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        He sure did. Even if he has to play in the ECHL, he's still playing a game he loves and making a very nice wage for his age. To be the NCAA's best goalie and to graduate from DU in three years is a terrific legacy.
        OK, now to the future!! Let's hope the great tradition of DU goaltenders will continue with Murray and Brittain. We should still have plenty of fire power considering the talent coming, Zucker, Bennet. Ostrow, Martin and Maiami should be great goal scorers, not to mention Shore, Knowlton, and the Shawn Ostrow (remember he was huge before his injury). Let's not forget the return of Jackson. We only lose Weircoch and Brookwell on D. Wrenn, Philpps and Donovan should be awesome.

There, I just made myself feel a little better!!!

Oh yeah, all of our rivals lose key players too, Wisco is going to be decimated!!!
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Rakhshani and Cheverie both signed 2-year contracts with Colborne and Wiercioch signing 3-year deals. With Rock and Chevy being older, it gives more flexibility for both sides in 2 years in whether they stay in those organizations or not. With Rock being in the Islander organization, he could possibly make the NHL team next season with a good training camp. That team is looking for young talent and is building with youth. They let him stay all 4 years at DU without making him sign. I think they will expect more from him sooner now that he is older.

From reading about the future of the Florida team, it seems they are ready to re-vamp it which means a number of veterans will be traded or released. From what I hear it sounds like the Panthers will trade #1 goalie Tomas Vocun and it appears that they would like stud goalie propspect Markstrom to eventually be Clemmensen's back-up at some point next season. There is still a log jam with two other goalies already at the AHL level. At best Chevy will play in the AHL but will likely start in the ECHL with the Florida Everblades.

Joe and Patty are younger and high draft picks. Both Boston and Ottawa want to see them be successful and make the big club during their first contract. I would expect both of them to be in the NHL by the 2nd year of their contracts and maybe even earlier.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

"Marc established himself as the best goaltender in college hockey this season and is ready for professional hockey," DU head coach George Gwozdecky said.

Went back and read the Gwoz's comments on Wiercioch and Colborne. He commented on their DU success and wished them both success in the future, but he didn't say they were ready for the next step. Guess that degree in Finance degree paid off for Marc. He is more mature at 22 or 23 than the 19 or 20 year old Wiercioch or Colborne. Despite what the Bruins or Sens said I think they both could have used another year at DU. (Homerism, selfish--no doubt )

I admit that I wanted all three back for next year. And, yes, the chance that Colborne or Wierchioch staying 4 years was not in the cards. The NHL has been the goal for all of them so I have to wish them the best, but I'll miss seeing them in the Crimson and Gold.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

The funny thing is that Chevy was the best player on the team. There are only 60 NHL goalie jobs, a fairly small number. Looking at the recent great college goalies to make the NHL as regulars (Miller, Elliott and Howard), it took each of them a few years to make it to the NHL after college. Dubie has basically had a cup of coffee in the NHL and Berkhoel and Mannino even less. While Chevy may have been DU's best player this past season, he could also be the last of the 4 DU players who signed contracts to make it to the NHL.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Goalies almost always take more time to develop to a pro level. They need to play more games too. Chevy may be better off playing every night in the ECHL vs being a backup in the AHL.

Whatever it is, Florida probably needed to clarify Chevy's role before he signed...

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

In the end, I would rather have Chevy for 3 years (as opposed to having, say, a Chris Gillies for his 3 years of eligibility), I would rather have Colborne for 2 years (as opposed to having, say, an Earl Rock for 4 years in his place), and I would rather have Wiercioch for 2 years (as opposed to, say, a Joe Ritson [a truly awful defender] for 4 years, who had to be shifted to forward).

I also like having a program which competes on the national stage regularly as opposed to, say, the '80s (sans '85-86) to mid '90s DU program where we knew we rarely even had a chance to compete on the national stage.

There is no need to alter the current recruiting process "in order to mimmic RIT (or something like that)" and to bring in 4-year grinders -- DU did that for a long time and it took us nowhere fast. Heck, is North Carolina going to alter their b-ball program in order mimmic NIU or Butler??? **** NO!!! And we shouldn't, either.

Gwoz stated when he was hired that his goal was to build a program which positions itself to get into the tourney every year and, hopefully, compete for the title -- this he has accomplished. For anyone to actually think DU will win NCAA titles year-in and year-out is completely fooling themselves. What we have here is a program which brings in top players, has high academic standards and competes at a top level consistently!!! I could not be more happy with where the program is at.

All this crap that has been spewed about the program since the loss to RIT is just plain junk -- and it ****es me off.

Ahhh, now I feel a lot better having let these emotions out and not keeping them bottled up anymore...

Anyway, all is fine in The Land of Gwoz and we will still have a good team to cheer for next year. GO DU!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    In the end, I would rather have Chevy for 3 years (as opposed to having, say, a Chris Gillies for his 3 years of eligibility), I would rather have Colborne for 2 years (as opposed to having, say, an Earl Rock for 4 years in his place), and I would rather have Wiercioch for 2 years (as opposed to, say, a Joe Ritson [a truly awful defender] for 4 years, who had to be shifted to forward).

I also like having a program which competes on the national stage regularly as opposed to, say, the '80s (sans '85-86) to mid '90s DU program where we knew we rarely even had a chance to compete on the national stage.

There is no need to alter the current recruiting process "in order to mimmic RIT (or something like that)" and to bring in 4-year grinders -- DU did that for a long time and it took us nowhere fast. Heck, is North Carolina going to alter their b-ball program in order mimmic NIU or Butler??? **** NO!!! And we shouldn't, either.

Gwoz stated when he was hired that his goal was to build a program which positions itself to get into the tourney every year and, hopefully, compete for the title -- this he has accomplished. For anyone to actually think DU will win NCAA titles year-in and year-out is completely fooling themselves. What we have here is a program which brings in top players, has high academic standards and competes at a top level consistently!!! I could not be more happy with where the program is at.

All this crap that has been spewed about the program since the loss to RIT is just plain junk -- and it ****es me off.

Ahhh, now I feel a lot better having let these emotions out and not keeping them bottled up anymore...

Anyway, all is fine in The Land of Gwoz and we will still have a good team to cheer for next year. GO DU!!!!
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Chris- Earl Rock? Even I had to look that one up. I'll take obscure Denver Pioneers for 1000 Alex.

Comment

I agree with you Chris, ever since Gwoz got here the program has become one of the elite programs again. I thought this year's team had the talent to take everything but they came up short. Sweeping UND and MN in the same season was unbelievable. Coming from behind to beat BC in the Denver Cup was a great way to kick off the second half of the season. One thing that this team lacked was some physicality which I think Dusty Jackson could have provided had he not gotten hurt in the pre-season. It will be nice to have him back next year. The big mystery to me was how this team didn't average 4 goals a game with all the offensive talent it had. Luke Salazar disappeared from the scoring sheet. If he had the same year as his freshman campaign this team, the team would have been better offensively. You can't say enough about the top 2 lines but the 3rd and 4th really struggled to chip in offensively night after night.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          For anyone to actually think DU will win NCAA titles year-in and year-out is completely fooling themselves. What we have here is a program which brings in top players, has high academic standards and competes at a top level consistently!!! I could not be more happy with where the program is at.
                          I agree with everything you said except for this. Boston College is in its 9th Frozen Four in the past 13 years. Clearly they compete for the National Championship virtually every season.

I would say that DU's recruiting has been on par with BC for only the past three years. Before then, we were losing players like Brock Bradford and the like to them. Colborne was the first player that I know of that we stole from their clutches.

As long as we can get quality recruits we will be OK. I expect DU to make the NCAA's next season. As we learned the hard way, being a #1 seed means nothing.

Comment

I remember the "dark days" very well--one season where we had to sweep CC to avoid finishing behind them in last place. Sweet. Things are muy better now. Beyond this business of doing poorly in the post-season is THIS year. In point of fact, that should have been us drilling RIT. And that's what's gotten all of our knickers in a wad.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I think getting great recruits is 80% of the story in having a great program. Skill and systems coaching is another 10% to get that great talent to a higher level of proficiency. But the elusive 10% that seperates the eilte programs from national champions is the more intangible stuff - pride- desire, chemistry, work ethic and the wllingness to do whatever it takes for the school name on the front and for your teammates beside you.

Recent DU teams have had the recruits and the coaching, but that last category has been harder to capture on a consistent basis.

Comment

I think getting great recruits is 80% of the story in having a great program. Skill and systems coaching is another 10% to get that great talent to a higher level of proficiency. But the elusive 10% that seperates the eilte programs from national champions is the more intangible stuff - pride- desire, chemistry, work ethic and the wllingness to do whatever it takes for the school name on the front and for your teammates beside you.

Recent DU teams have had the recruits and the coaching, but that last category has been harder to capture on a consistent basis.
                                And who's responsibility is it to capture that elusive 10%?
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X