Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Bagman View Post
    Colborne(2) and Rakhshani both have assists in their AHL debuts tonight.
    Providence goals were scored against Former UMD Goalie Alex Stalock. 25 seconds after Rakhshani got his first assist Manchester scored with an assist to Gabe Gauthier.. Small world isn't it ?
    GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Tony Hrkcac, from Thunder Bay. Won the Hobey and the NC in 1987 for the Sioux with 116 points, back in the late 80s when there was little defense and 6-5 scores were the norm in college hockey.
      He still plays in the AHL on a part time basis.

We saw Tony Hrkac play the other night against Peter Mannino. He plays for the Houston Areos for a dozen games each season. His full time job is head coach on the D-III Concordia (WI) Falcons. His coaching record at Concordia is 6-67-6. He's still a good player, as a coach...not so much.

http://www.uscho.com/m/concordia-wi-...eam,concw.html

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

3 Stars
        Joe Colborne selected 3rd Star for his 2 assists in debut with Providence
        Rhett Rakhshani got an honorable mention for his assist in debut with Bridgeport.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Just came across this article on NHL.com about Matt Carle.
          Great story and props for DU.
          http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521785
          GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            He still plays in the AHL on a part time basis.

We saw Tony Hrkac play the other night against Peter Mannino. He plays for the Houston Areos for a dozen games each season. His full time job is head coach on the D-III Concordia (WI) Falcons. His coaching record at Concordia is 6-67-6. He's still a good player, as a coach...not so much.

http://www.uscho.com/m/concordia-wi-...eam,concw.html
            He's no longer a human highlight reel but even at 43 yrs old Hrkac doesn't embarass himself on the ice. The 'Circus' is long-gone though as the supporting cast on the last place Houston Aeros is pretty sorry, including such luminaries as Robbie "Oscar" Earl and Chad "CCSucks" Rau.
            After getting shelled against Mannino's Wolves Weds night and yanked after two periods, Dubie was benched in favor of a 19 yr old last night...and then promptly recalled to the NHL. Go figure.

Interesting sidebar: Mannino 3rd in AHL in save %, Dubie #39 (out of 40)
            Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

After I finished my workout at CFC earlier this afternoon I decided to walk through Magness Arena to cool down a bit because the air is comfortable in there. I came upon a hockey practice in progress of the best team I've seen in the building this year. The players were wearing non-descript jerseys, but were impressive with their shooting and passing. I watched for a few minutes and kept walking toward the north end of the arena intent on heading to the parking lot.

I stopped for a few more minutes and it was only then I facially recognized Dan Boyle, Dany Heatly and Patrick Marleau of the San Jose Sharks.
              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottA View Post
                Swami, how can we be 'proud' of our academic success if the kids don't even stay long enough to get a degree? Isn't that the whole point of a college education?"
                Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Exactly. DU graduates over 80% of the hockey players it serves, and most of those who do leave early are doing so to sign pro contracts in their chosen career, which in theory, is what all universities should be doing - preparing kids for their career of choice. Would we mind if a specially-talented DU student got an offer to leave school early to play Violin for the New York Philharmonic, report for the Chicago Tribune or to work in M&A analysis for Morgan-Stanley? Of course not.

Most of DU's hockey players are good enough to play some level of pro hockey, and we should be thrilled for them that they get such pro offers before their four years are up. They are prodigies of sorts, and have their whole lives to go to college. They don't have their whole lives to play pro hockey. And some of them will finish their degrees at some point, anyway.
                I humbly disagree Swami (*cue collective gasp from Swami-nation cabal). It is the job of a vo-tech school to simply 'prepare kids for a career of choice'. It is the job of a four year academic institution to challenge boundaries, expand minds, and create (graduate) a well-rounded thinking adult. If a hockey player chooses to treat Div I as a vo-tech stepping-stone, that is his right, but also his loss. My difficulty is not with losing a valued player, or the impact that might have on the team's record. My problem is with the system luring a bright young man out of the warm confines of an academic institution into the harsh realities of pro sports with false promises and before he is ready. To use your examples above, I have a problem if the NYP job is to carry the first chair's case, or the Trib (bankrupt btw) job is to write obits, or the MSSB job is in the mailroom. I guess I see too many minor league AHL games (that's all DG and I have down here) with kids that bolted early, forgoing a free education... only to live a $50k/yr 'Slap Shot' life.

Of course if the NHL gets scouts like this, we may not have ANY skaters next year:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtK8nZx3LYg
                Last edited by ScottA; 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM.
                Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

Originally posted by ScottA View Post
                  I humbly disagree Swami (*cue collective gasp from Swami-nation cabal). It is the job of a vo-tech school to simply 'prepare kids for a career of choice'. It is the job of a four year academic institution to challenge boundaries, expand minds, and create (graduate) a well-rounded thinking adult. If a hockey player chooses to treat Div I as a vo-tech stepping-stone, that is his right, but also his loss. My difficulty is not with losing a valued player, or the impact that might have on the team's record. My problem is with the system luring a bright young man out of the warm confines of an academic institution into the harsh realities of pro sports with false promises and before he is ready. To use your examples above, I have a problem if the NYP job is to carry the first chair's case, or the Trib (bankrupt btw) job is to write obits, or the MSSB job is in the mailroom. I guess I see too many minor league AHL games (that's all DG and I have down here) with kids that bolted early, forgoing a free education... only to live a $50k/yr 'Slap Shot' life.

Of course if the NHL gets scouts like this, we may not have ANY skaters next year:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtK8nZx3LYg
                  You are, in effect, blaming DU for the realities of life in 2010. While I whole heartedly agree that players should stay and complete their educations, what are we supposed to do? Perhaps recruit players with zero pro potential who have no choice except to stay? DU has high standards for the people we bring in (see Hull, Brett) and we get the most out of 'em academically while they're with us. And as I have posted previously (the story of my life!) the university is prepared to meet its academic obligations to these young men and would, in fact, prefer that they stay. And, yes, it's self serving to suggest high value players should stay, but that doesn't mean that the impulse is faulty. I suspect that over the years if DU were to have lowered its academic expectations, there would be more banners in Magness. Neatly slip the aforementioned Mr. Hull into the lineup and who knows what would have happened?

Part of what's going on here, I believe, is an unusually intense sense of disappointment in how this particular season ended. Expectations were so high and the end so unexpected it was just difficult to process. There's a sense that there's unfinished business, and the players who left early didn't take care of that business and by leaving early have put themselves ahead of the university and the program. And there's certainly some truth to that. But these young guys are student/athletes, not prisoners. And they're free to move on if they chose. And there's really nothing we can do about it. DG writes frequently about "family advisors," and their influence, well DU and Gwoz have very little liklihood of talking a player out of taking the money.

The implication of what you're saying is that since not all of our players stay and get degrees, we shouldn't take pride in their academic accomplishments while they're with us. I respectfully disagree. And the Vo-Tech comparison, BTW, is unfair and innacurate.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Frankly,I don't give a **** if they stay a year or four.I'm a hockey fan and we get to see top level college hockey and some great young hockey players. If a kid wants to use to DU as a pit stop on the way to a pro career,so be it.These kids grow up dreaming for a chance to get paid to play hockey,good on em if it works out for them. Hell if it wasn't for a particular two year player at DU, I would never have got my drink from the Stanley Cup!

Comment

The NCAA tracks the Graduation Success Rate for Division I athletes. The latest report released in 2009 tracks Freshmen entering between 1999--2002. DU hockey players had an 86% graduation rate which is well above the national average.

Here's the rub, if a player leaves while still academically eligible to play, the player is not included in the stats. So it doesn't answer the question. And why it takes so long to compile these stats is beyond me.

You can see DU's report:
                      http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/nH8egsr2009/183.pdf
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Patrick Wiercioch with some nice words for DU when he decided to turn pro.

"I would like to thank the Denver coaches, support staff and professors for an amazing two-year experience at Denver," Wiercioch said.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagman View Post
                          Frankly,I don't give a **** if they stay a year or four.I'm a hockey fan and we get to see top level college hockey and some great young hockey players. If a kid wants to use to DU as a pit stop on the way to a pro career,so be it.These kids grow up dreaming for a chance to get paid to play hockey,good on em if it works out for them. Hell if it wasn't for a particular two year player at DU, I would never have got my drink from the Stanley Cup!
                          Aren't you special?
                          GO AVS!!!

.\ \
                          ..\ \
                          ...\ \ _____ GO DU!!!
                          ....\_////////)

Comment

Well, SoCal just RnRed to day. (not Rock n Ruegs)
                            That's rocked and R-O-L-L-E-D today.

7.2 quake near Mexicali--I'm about 160 miles away and it rolled and rolled and rolled--probably for 30-45 seconds or so. No damage just a very long roll! Long enough you almost began to feel a little nauseous before it ended.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Nope, still don't feel any better!!
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                Nope, still don't feel any better!!
                                One day at a time, Dmann.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X