Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Could have been worse...the game could have been in Grand Forks.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

I'm beginning to think Gwoz is a better recruiter/teacher than a coach/motivator ....as we watch yet another late-season fade. How does Hakstol get the Sue to peak at season-end every year after laying in the weeds all winter? I'm afraid a lot of our boys are looking at Wilkes-Barre bus rides and meal money rather than NHL glory. Good thing they studied hard, best of luck.
      Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by ScottA View Post
        I'm afraid a lot of our boys are looking at Wilkes-Barre bus rides and meal money rather than NHL glory. Good thing they studied hard, best of luck.
        Wait, what does that mean?
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          Wait, what does that mean?
          AHL (minors) not NHL

I heard the Boston and Ottawa GMs were at the game. As far as I know all the DU players got on the plane to go back to Denver.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I'm unsuccessfully trying to recall Denver's non-conference opponents for the 2010-2011 season. I know the team opens the season on the road against Vermont. I beleive that Boston College comes to Magness Arena for a series. I believe Northern Michigan is playing two games against Denver. I can't recall which teams are playing in the Denver Cup.

If you have additions/corrections I'd appreciate seeing them.
            sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
              I'm unsuccessfully trying to recall Denver's non-conference opponents for the 2010-2011 season. I know the team opens the season on the road against Vermont. I beleive that Boston College comes to Magness Arena for a series. I believe Northern Michigan is playing two games against Denver. I can't recall which teams are playing in the Denver Cup.

If you have additions/corrections I'd appreciate seeing them.
              Found it

DU will visit Vermont for a two game series.

BC will visit DU for a two game series.

The Denver Cup will feature Air Force, Clarkson & Lake Superior over Thanksgiving.

Northern Michigan will visit DU for two games over New Years.

I think DU goes to UAA next season. As such, DU still has one more OOC series to schedule due to the extra 2 games they get for going to UAA.
              Last edited by du78; 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

from what I've seen did DU checkout for the Year against tech in the first round? they Looked flat footed at the final five and today it seemed they didn't care they were down 2 with about five minutes to play.
                Last edited by flyund; 03-26-2010, 11:04 PM.
                dash 8
                what does North Dakota's gov't have that Minnesota won't have? A budget Surplus

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  I want to thank the 6 seniors who left their imprint on the DU program; Rock, Ruegs, Gifford, Glasser, Brookwell and Vossberg. Some came in as highly touted recruits and others were recruited walk-ons. They all contributed mightily to the program and won everything but a national championship. They are all champions in the classroom as well. In fact four of them have already completed their studies in the Winter quarter and area awaiting the graduation ceremony at the end of the Spring quarter. Best of luck wherever your futures may lie!!!!

There is also a good chance that Marc Cheverie, Joe Colborne and Patrick Wiercioch may be leaving early for the pro ranks. If they decide to leave I want to wish them well but I would not be adverse to them returning.
                  I'm trying to think of what to say...but this captures it perfectly

Comment

Disappointed.

GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Disappointed.

Yep, makes the entire weekend a downer

Comment

I read the comments on the LetsGoDU blog tonight and they made me angry! I have come to think that we support our team in good times and bad. So I posted the following.

March 26, 2010

Our Great Expectations for the 2009-2010 DU Hockey season ended today.
                        And I'm sad and disappointed, but surely not as disappointed as 27 student/athletes and the coaches and staff.

And I'm really disappointed in some pseudo DU fans and the venom they spewed about our team and coach. Yes, some of those venomous anonymous comments came from other teams fanatics, but these were mean spirited attacks on young men, our boys, The same boys we've cheered for whenever they took the ice wearing the Crimson and Gold.

At times we've criticized them for what we believed was a lack of focus or effort, for not playing 60 minutes of their best hockey, for coming out flat. But how many times did Chevy, Rakhshani, Colborne, Ruegsegger, the 2nd line or the 3rd line or Weircioch or Donovan or an unheralded player pick up the team with a timely goal or save or hit which put the Pioneers on the way to victory. We praised their grit and character. Now some are questioning these very attributes.

DU fans and supporters were called smug and elitists. Well maybe we were or are. But I tend to think we are proud of our University and our team.

We are proud of :
                        60 years of DU Hockey history
                        The Pioneers' 27 wins this season inluding 6 shutouts
                        19 WCHA All Academic Team selections
                        8 WCHA Scholar Athletes
                        2 Hobey Baker Award Finalists
                        6 selections to the All WCHA Teams
                        WCHA Player of the Year Award
                        WCHA Coach of the Year
                        WCHA Goaltending Champion
                        WCHA Scoring Champion
                        2 CHN All Americans
                        1 CHN All Rookie Team Selection
                        2 College Hockey 247 All Americans
                        CHN Team of the Week
                        National Player of the Month
                        2 National Player of the Week
                        9 WCHA Red Baron Player of the Week
                        4 Seniors who have completed graduation requirements
                        Finalist for Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
                        Finalist for Hockey Humanitarian Award
                        World Juniors Gold Medal winner
                        Olympic Silver medal winner
                        4 NHL regulars from DU
                        14 players drafted by the NHL
                        10 game winning streak
                        Sweeping UND 4-0 in the regular season
                        Sweeping Minnesota 4-0 in the regular season
                        Winning the MacNaughton Cup
                        Winning the Gold Pan Trophy
                        Winning the Denver Cup
                        Being ranked # 1 or 2 in the polls for basically the whole season
                        Being # 1 or 2 in the Pairwise
                        Getting a # 1 seed in the NCAAs
                        7 NCAA Hockey Championships

Yes, I am disappointed we didn't win the game, but take nothing away from RIT they played hard and blocked the scoring lanes effectively. Their goalie made save after save. They won. Congratulations to RIT
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                          I read the comments on the LetsGoDU blog tonight and they made me angry! I have come to think that we support our team in good times and bad. So I posted the following.

March 26, 2010

Our Great Expectations for the 2009-2010 DU Hockey season ended today.
                          And I'm sad and disappointed, but surely not as disappointed as 27 student/athletes and the coaches and staff.

And I'm really disappointed in some pseudo DU fans and the venom they spewed about our team and coach. Yes, some of those venomous anonymous comments came from other teams fanatics, but these were mean spirited attacks on young men, our boys, The same boys we've cheered for whenever they took the ice wearing the Crimson and Gold.

At times we've criticized them for what we believed was a lack of focus or effort, for not playing 60 minutes of their best hockey, for coming out flat. But how many times did Chevy, Rakhshani, Colborne, Ruegsegger, the 2nd line or the 3rd line or Weircioch or Donovan or an unheralded player pick up the team with a timely goal or save or hit which put the Pioneers on the way to victory. We praised their grit and character. Now some are questioning these very attributes.

DU fans and supporters were called smug and elitists. Well maybe we were or are. But I tend to think we are proud of our University and our team.

We are proud of :
                          60 years of DU Hockey history
                          The Pioneers' 27 wins this season inluding 6 shutouts
                          19 WCHA All Academic Team selections
                          8 WCHA Scholar Athletes
                          2 Hobey Baker Award Finalists
                          6 selections to the All WCHA Teams
                          WCHA Player of the Year Award
                          WCHA Coach of the Year
                          WCHA Goaltending Champion
                          WCHA Scoring Champion
                          2 CHN All Americans
                          1 CHN All Rookie Team Selection
                          2 College Hockey 247 All Americans
                          CHN Team of the Week
                          National Player of the Month
                          2 National Player of the Week
                          9 WCHA Red Baron Player of the Week
                          4 Seniors who have completed graduation requirements
                          Finalist for Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
                          Finalist for Hockey Humanitarian Award
                          World Juniors Gold Medal winner
                          Olympic Silver medal winner
                          4 NHL regulars from DU
                          14 players drafted by the NHL
                          10 game winning streak
                          Sweeping UND 4-0 in the regular season
                          Sweeping Minnesota 4-0 in the regular season
                          Winning the MacNaughton Cup
                          Winning the Gold Pan Trophy
                          Winning the Denver Cup
                          Being ranked # 1 or 2 in the polls for basically the whole season
                          Being # 1 or 2 in the Pairwise
                          Getting a # 1 seed in the NCAAs
                          7 NCAA Hockey Championships

Yes, I am disappointed we didn't win the game, but take nothing away from RIT they played hard and blocked the scoring lanes effectively. Their goalie made save after save. They won. Congratulations to RIT
                          Great post Viz, the body of work put togther by this team and this year's senior class is exemplary both on and off the ice.

Comment

The sun did indeed come up today, even the hangover is is subsiding.

I only saw a couple of games in person this year; two sorry, lackluster, uninspired efforts against Bucky in Madison. Was this DU or was it the league-leading, giant-killer, #1 ranked steamroller praised by praised by foes, press and pundits alike?

I drank the Kool-Aid.

Now I'll never be able to watch Jack Benny again......ROCHESTER!
                            Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

In case you haven't seen them yet, here is a link to a front page USCHO story which includes video postgame comments by Coach Gwozdecky, Rhett Rakhshani and Joe Colborne after yesterday's game. Scroll to the bottom of the article to see the video segments.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/03/26/rit-du.php
                              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Great season, tough ending once again.

This Pioneer team brought home some great achievements which will soften the pain of the ending over time, but for right now, the hurt is a deep one.

When I look back at this year, I saw a league champion DU team win the toughest trophy to win in college sports, (the MacNaughton Cup), wrestled the Gold Pan back from CC, sweeping other rivals and played around the top of the national rankings for much of the season. Setting academic records and reaping personal accolades was a lot of fun, and we fans certainly got our money's worth in the joy department for much of the season.

That said, this DU team showed many signs over the course of the entire
                                season that there were often some issues in terms of sporadic effort level, and, when combined with some key injuries and other teams' honing their own focus levels, it was simply too much for this DU team to end the season with a quality playoff drive.

A lot of great players likely played their final game in Crimson and Gold, and they leave with their heads held high, with trophies, championships and achievement in their wake, as well as great educations, high GPAs and many happy memories of their times as Pioneers. While some may bristle at the "lost opportunities" in NCAA play, the reality is that only 1 team in 58
                                really ends the season with that level of happiness. The rest of us need to be happy with our annual hockey oddessy that takes us from fall to winter and deposits us into the spring with a new bunch of memories of a mostly well-played season of a game we all love.

Thanks, Pioneers, for a wonderful season.

We can't wait for October, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                                X