Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Yep,

Chambers in Denver Post today - DU and Sunbelt need to part ways.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...ust-part-ways/

Mike is right that DU needs out of the Sun Belt, but to where? That's DU's dillema. We are isolated, with only 8-10 D-I teams within a days drive of here. You still need 16 sports to stay D-I and it would still cost millions to field D-I independent teams, as you'd lose a ton of home dates without a conference. You'd also lose good recruits, as good recruits want to have chance at the NCAAs, and that's hard without the auto-bids that AQ conferences provide. I'm not sure DU would save that much money outside of a major conference. They'd save a few bucks playing hoops in Hamilton Gym and not converting Magness, but realistically, that's a drop in the bucket.

DU sports will never be self-supporting. That's alright - few athletic depts make more than they spend. We don't ask the DU Symphony Orchestra to support itself, and they add value to campus and opportunitiees for students. So do sports.

DU spends $20-25 million on sports out of an $800 million overall University budget, and even if DU Hockey made a Gopher-hockey-like $7 million a year in revenue, it still would only cover 1/3 of the overall athletic costs. DU hockey might make $3 million at most.

I get that hockey people don't see the point in spending serious money on DU hoops at the expense of hockey. But as a D-I school, we have little choice...

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Mike is right that DU needs out of the Sun Belt, but to where? That's DU's dillema. We are isolated, with only 8-10 D-I teams within a days drive of here. You still need 16 sports to stay D-I and it would still cost millions to field D-I independent teams, as you'd lose a ton of home dates without a conference. You'd also lose good recruits, as good recruits want to have chance at the NCAAs, and that's hard without the auto-bids that AQ conferences provide. I'm not sure DU would save that much money outside of a major conference. They'd save a few bucks playing hoops in Hamilton Gym and not converting Magness, but realistically, that's a drop in the bucket.

DU sports will never be self-supporting. That's alright - few athletic depts make more than they spend. We don't ask the DU Symphony Orchestra to support itself, and they add value to campus and opportunitiees for students. So do sports.

DU spends $20-25 million on sports out of an $800 million overall University budget, and even if DU Hockey made a Gopher-hockey-like $7 million a year in revenue, it still would only cover 1/3 of the overall athletic costs. DU hockey might make $3 million at most.

I get that hockey people don't see the point in spending serious money on DU hoops at the expense of hockey. But as a D-I school, we have little choice...
      You could try moving the university out of Colorado. That could help.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

The NCAA announced its Public Recognition Awards for Academic Progress. Recognition is given to the top 10%. The teams recognized scored at least 978 out of 1000 on the NCAA's criteria: 841 of 6700+ teams were recognized. (Due to multiple teams scoring 1000, recognition was earned by approximately 13.5%.) Full results will be released in June.

DU had 3 teams earn the Public Recognition Award.
        Men's Golf
        Women's Gymnastics
        Women's Volleyball
        Congrats to these exceptional scholar athletes!
        GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Another pointless post. When I made my comment earlier about lots of DU women looking like soviet ladies digging tank traps I was reminded of this classic Joe Settlemeyer spot for Wendy's. Joe's the guy who came up with "where's the beef."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaMUfxVJVQ
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Everyone have a great Memorial Day Weekend!!!

Matt Carle starts the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow night.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
              Everyone have a great Memorial Day Weekend!!!

Matt Carle starts the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow night.
              Normally I would have cheered for the Blackhawks in honor of Magnuson, Koroll et al, but have to go with Matt Carle's Flyers.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

In DU-UND games in 2005-2006 Matt Carle out pointed Jonathan Toews by at least 5-4. (Couldn't find the box score for the Oct. 2005 games so had to use UND's write up. In the game we won 7-3 or so it didn't list the DU assists.)
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  In DU-UND games in 2005-2006 Matt Carle out pointed Jonathan Toews by at least 5-4. (Couldn't find the box score for the Oct. 2005 games so had to use UND's write up. In the game we won 7-3 or so it didn't list the DU assists.)
                  Matt Carle scored two goals in that game, but didn't get any assists.

They played 4 games...

Game 1: Toews: 1-0-1, Carle 0-0-0 (North Dakota Win 3-1, in Toews first ever WCHA game)
                  Game 2: Toews: 0-0-0, Carle 2-0-2 (Denver wins 7-2)
                  Game 3: Toews: 2-0-2, Carle 0-1-1 (North Dakota wins 6-2)
                  Game 4: Toews: 1-0-1, Carle 0-2-2 (Denver wins 6-3)

In their 4 games, Toews put in 4 goals, while Carle put in 2. Carle managed 3 assists while Toews was a puckhog The teams split the season series 2-2.

All things considered, a 17 year old Toews competed pretty darn well with the 21 year old Junior, Hobey Baker winner from that season
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Matt Carle scored two goals in that game, but didn't get any assists.

They played 4 games...

Game 1: Toews: 1-0-1, Carle 0-0-0 (North Dakota Win 3-1, in Toews first ever WCHA game)
                    Game 2: Toews: 0-0-0, Carle 2-0-2 (Denver wins 7-2)
                    Game 3: Toews: 2-0-2, Carle 0-1-1 (North Dakota wins 6-2)
                    Game 4: Toews: 1-0-1, Carle 0-2-2 (Denver wins 6-3)

In their 4 games, Toews put in 4 goals, while Carle put in 2. Carle managed 3 assists while Toews was a puckhog The teams split the season series 2-2.

All things considered, a 17 year old Toews competed pretty darn well with the 21 year old Junior, Hobey Baker winner from that season
                    Yeah Jonny! LET'S GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! *hums Chelsea Dagger in my head*

Sorry... diehard Hawks fan being obnoxious. My apologies.

Comment

Dineen in the hut for Tampa job? http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1098358.ece

Comment

more meaningless posts! Just finished my 6th coat of varnish on the boat, she is looking maaaavelous!! Engine started right up, she's ready to be launched Wednesday the 2nd!! Yessssssss!!!

By the way, did anyone figure out the M......tion charters name?
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                          more meaningless posts! Just finished my 6th coat of varnish on the boat, she is looking maaaavelous!! Engine started right up, she's ready to be launched Wednesday the 2nd!! Yessssssss!!!

By the way, did anyone figure out the M......tion charters name?
                          Another pointless post. Given the success of Swami's suggestion for us to list our ten best DU game experiences, perhaps we could get about as many people to share their favorite varnish stories.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            Another pointless post. Given the success of Swami's suggestion for us to list our ten best DU game experiences, perhaps we could get about as many people to share their favorite varnish stories.
                            Here's a tip. Don't varnish during black fly season!!!
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Matt Carle and the Flyers lead 3-2 after the first
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

I have watched precious little hockey this year. It was nice to see Carle on the ice so much. I have to say that I would be pretty okay with either team winning this series.

Comment

Working...
                                X