Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the NCAA combine the Men's and Women's frozen fours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the NCAA combine the Men's and Women's frozen fours?

I had this discussion with some other college hockey fans and the reaction was mixed. I don't care one bit for women's hockey. However I do care about developing the sport at all levels at both genders. I think that holding the events on the same weekend (M: thurs/sat W: wed/fri) might help to grow attention and awareness to new people.
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Re: Should the NCAA combine the Men's and Women's frozen fours?

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    I had this discussion with some other college hockey fans and the reaction was mixed. I don't care one bit for women's hockey. However I do care about developing the sport at all levels at both genders. I think that holding the events on the same weekend (M: thurs/sat W: wed/fri) might help to grow attention and awareness to new people.
    I follow the women's game too and it is light years ahead of what it was just 5 years ago. I would like to see W: Thurs (4 and 730)/Sat(3, followed by skills/hobey) and M: Fri(4 and 730)/Sun(6).

Just a first thought. I'd like to hear more opinions.
    Anybody but Northern

Comment

how does bouncyball do it? not the same place, right? There could be some good marketing in it, in that, say, purchase a ticket to the 3 games for men, get tickets to the women's games free. The money spent on concessions would most likely make up for anything lost had they not done that. It would draw more people to the women's games. I don't know if I like both being combined for sure, but I think it'd be a good idea if something like that were implemented if they were to combine it.
      THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
      1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
      1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
      University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
      University of Oregon Ducks Football
      San Francisco Giants
      Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
        how does bouncyball do it? not the same place, right? There could be some good marketing in it, in that, say, purchase a ticket to the 3 games for men, get tickets to the women's games free. The money spent on concessions would most likely make up for anything lost had they not done that. It would draw more people to the women's games. I don't know if I like both being combined for sure, but I think it'd be a good idea if something like that were implemented if they were to combine it.
        I agree. Women's basketball is more popular than either of the hockey's. Their tournament is actually very strong as it is. Women's college hockey is extremely low on the totem of NCAA sports and I think somehow combining the championships could really help improve it's visibility.
        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I agree. Women's basketball is more popular than either of the hockey's. Their tournament is actually very strong as it is. Women's college hockey is extremely low on the totem of NCAA sports and I think somehow combining the championships could really help improve it's visibility.
          How about combining it with bowling?
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Interesting idea. The women's FF now lacks an "event" feel and would probably benefit from being included, epecially with new fans and increased media exposure.

A lotta questions would need to be answered. If you included the women's FF with the men on ticketing for free, would that shut out some women's fans that go to the women's FF now without hassle, as the men's fans are mostly lottery fans with more ticket demand than supply?

Would men's fans actually pay more for the overall ticket package to see the women included? How many men's fans would actually show up at the women's games?

You'd also need some logistic juggling with practices, etc. but it could be done....

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
              Interesting idea. The women's FF now lacks an "event" feel and would probably benefit from being included, epecially with new fans and increased media exposure.

A lotta questions would need to be answered. If you included the women's FF with the men on ticketing for free, would that shut out some women's fans that go to the women's FF now without hassle, as the men's fans are mostly lottery fans with more ticket demand than supply?

Would men's fans actually pay more for the overall ticket package to see the women included? How many men's fans would actually show up at the women's games?

You'd also need some logistic juggling with practices, etc. but it could be done....
              I don't know about where the revenues from the ticket sales for each sport goes so I am not sure if you can combine ticket packages. But here is my idea if you can...the women's event does not attract more than 10,000 fans. The Men's Frozen Four is generally held in arenas with at least 17,000 capacity. Therefore, why not set aside 5,000 tickets that can be claimed at the window by showing your Men's ticket? The upper bowl area would be free admission. For $10/seat you can upgrade to lower bowl. Just an idea...
              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I think we're all on to something. I would hope the NCAA would see this as an opportunity and would take advantage of it. Things would have to be figured out, logistically speaking, however, it could be done. If it's held in a bigger city, at least northern states/mw states, there might be an ice arena near by that could house practices. Granted, teams would be hauling equipment back and forth, but that could always be a possibility.

They could just move it up to February and always have it in the northern plains and have outside practice.
                THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                University of Oregon Ducks Football
                San Francisco Giants
                Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

the women's event does not attract more than 10,000 fans.
                  Just some facts so everyone knows where we stand currently (and know that I broadcast Minnesota High School girl's hockey on the radio, and have for 11 years, so I know women's hockey pretty well):

This years Women's Frozen Four is being held at Ridder Arena @ UMinn; capacity 3,400

Last years Frozen Four had 2706 at each Semifinal and 2437 @ the Championship game at Agganis Arena @ BU

The 2011 Frozen Four is set for the Tullio Arena, hosted by Mercyhurst; cap 5500
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    Just some facts so everyone knows where we stand currently (and know that I broadcast Minnesota High School girl's hockey on the radio, and have for 11 years, so I know women's hockey pretty well):

This years Women's Frozen Four is being held at Ridder Arena @ UMinn; capacity 3,400

Last years Frozen Four had 2706 at each Semifinal and 2437 @ the Championship game at Agganis Arena @ BU

The 2011 Frozen Four is set for the Tullio Arena, hosted by Mercyhurst; cap 5500
                    Then I see absolutely no reason why they cannot give general admission seating the first XX,000 or so fans that show up with a valid Men's ticket. It seems like a no-brainer from a marketing standpoint.
                    MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

What a great idea!

I'd price it so you could just buy the women's games in you want, but I'd include the women's games in the men's game ticket package for nothing.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        What a great idea!

I'd price it so you could just buy the women's games in you want, but I'd include the women's games in the men's game ticket package for nothing.
                        BINGO! That is where I was going from the beginning. This is an obvious no brainier in my mind, as long as the details are worked out accordingly. So who do i cantact at the NCAA to get this put into action?
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

BINGO! That is where I was going from the beginning. This is an obvious no brainier in my mind, as long as the details are worked out accordingly. So who do i cantact at the NCAA to get this put into action?
                          Yeah, but they will laugh in your face because it makes too much sense, but yet not enough cents.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't know about where the revenues from the ticket sales for each sport goes so I am not sure if you can combine ticket packages. But here is my idea if you can...the women's event does not attract more than 10,000 fans. The Men's Frozen Four is generally held in arenas with at least 17,000 capacity. Therefore, why not set aside 5,000 tickets that can be claimed at the window by showing your Men's ticket? The upper bowl area would be free admission. For $10/seat you can upgrade to lower bowl. Just an idea...
                            I was thinking something similar. Hold the events in the same venue, but ticket them separately. Women's attendees would be able to get the cheaper package without having to go through the lottery, but would only have access to the women's games; men's attendees would get a voucher in their ticket package that enables them to attend the women's games (for a small extra fee if necessary).

I don't think that many fans would double dip, as I would assume most visitors for the games would want to do their day around town on the day in between the games. But I think even 10% of the men's audience showing up to bolster the women's crowd would be a huge boon.
                            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

I think you actually would see a lot of double dipping..... If Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, New Hampshire ect were in both tournys.....
                              - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Go you Green and White
                              Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight with all your might!
                              Rah! Rah! Rah!
                              We are here to cheer you
                              We are out to win your fame,
                              So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Working...
                              X