Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Awards

Hockey East First-Team All-Stars
    G: Brian Foster, New Hampshire (Sr., Pembroke, N.H.)
    D: Justin Braun, Massachusetts (Sr., Vadnais Heights, Minn.)
    D: Colby Cohen, Boston University (Jr., Villanova, Pa.)
    D: Blake Kessel, New Hampshire (So., Verona, Wis.)
    F: Bobby Butler, New Hampshire (Sr., Marlboro, Mass.)
    F: Brian Gibbons, Boston College (Jr., Braintree, Mass.)
    F: Gustav Nyquist, Maine * (So., Malmo, Sweden)
    * unanimous selection

Hockey East Second-Team All-Stars
    G: Carter Hutton, UMass-Lowell (Sr., Thunder Bay, Ont.)
    D: Jeremy Dehner, UMass-Lowell (Sr., Madison, Wis.)
    D: Jeff Dimmen, Maine (Jr., Colorado Springs, Col.)
    F: Cam Atkinson, Boston College (So., Greenwich, Conn.)
    F: Stephane Da Costa, Merrimack College (Fr., Paris, France)
    F: James Marcou, Massachusetts (Jr., Kings Park, N.Y.)

Hockey East Honorable Mention All-Stars
    G: Alex Beaudry, Providence College (So., Cumberland, Ont.)
    D: Carl Sneep, Boston College (Sr., Nisswa, Minn.)
    D: Mark Fayne, Providence College (Sr., Sagamore Beach, Mass.)
    F: Nick Bonino, Boston University (Jr., Unionville, Conn.)
    F: Brian Flynn, Maine (So., Lynnfield, Mass.)
    F: Casey Wellman, Massachusetts (So., Brentwood, Calif.)

Not one player from UVM . I can deal. Can always give the we have no superstars, we just play as a team answer. Kind of like the Patriots a few years ago in that respect

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
      You had a Gibbons and Atkinson make an all-team from BC, so you have to put at least one kid from BU on there too.
      You make it sound like the only reason Gibbons and Atkinson made it is because they play for BC. They fully deserve to be on there.

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
      Foster's "highlight reel" should include when he fell on his *** and allowed that goal vs. UVM.
      Please tell me there's a clip of this...

As someone else said, no need for three rookie d-men. And is Cohen a top 2 dman in the league? No. But he has a ton of goals. That's how the voting usually goes.

Also, no surprise UVM had nobody on the team. Didn't deserve any.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
        I want to say that the Goaltending Champion award is based strictly on stats, while the all-star selections are more subjective. Hutton put up better numbers, but I think he had a better defense in front of him. Also, Foster played in far more games than Hutton (26 of 27, as opposed to 18), put up similar numbers (.913/2.75 vs .920/2.35) with a much better record (.654 vs .500).
        I realize the goalie award is numbers based, but there's no way Foster should have made first team over Hutton. Nothing aganst Foster, but Hutton is a better goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          People might disagree with me, but I think W and L for goalies are overrated, just as they are for pitchers in baseball. Hutton's record (W-L) is rather sad for what he accomplished because he got no offensive support.

To me, this was the most disappointing part of the season ... games where Hutton gave up 2 goals this year and didn't win include:
          12/4/09 @ UNH, lost 2-1.
          1/3/10, Northeastern (Dartmouth Tournament), lost 2-1
          1/16/10, UMass, lost 2-1
          1/29/10, @ Northeastern, lost 2-1
          2/13/10, @ BC, lost 2-1
          2/27/10, @ PC, tied 2-2
          3/6/10, UVM, tied 1-1
          3/13/10, @ Maine, lost 2-0

7 games this year where Hutton gave up 2 or less and didn't get a win. To me, that's amazing.
          Against Foster, Rawlings x2, Milner, Beaudry, Madore, Dainton, and Darling. The last two are the only weak links, and Darling was still pretty good. I see what you're saying, but it's not like Lowell was going up against Brett Bennett and should have put up 5 goals each time.

And again, I will point to the fact that Hutton played 8 fewer games than Foster. Foster led the league in minutes played, faced the second most shots in the league (by 10), and was just .007 behind Hutton in save percentage.
          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by adidasjerry View Post
            Not one player from UVM . I can deal. Can always give the we have no superstars, we just play as a team answer. Kind of like the Patriots a few years ago in that respect
            My eyes and the plus/minus stats tell me Patrick Cullity is one of the top 6 d-men in this league. Apparently offensive production matters more to the people who voted on this, though.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
              And again, I will point to the fact that Hutton played 8 fewer games than Foster. Foster led the league in minutes played, faced the second most shots in the league (by 10), and was just .007 behind Hutton in save percentage.
              The games played, there's not much that can be said. Hamilton did pretty well in net for Lowell as well, so they were splitting pretty much till right at the end.

And yes, I know the goalies that Lowell was facing were good, but my point was that a couple of games switch around and his record looks a lot better. Hutton kept this team in games all year long. His offense just didn't provide any help.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                The games played, there's not much that can be said. Hamilton did pretty well in net for Lowell as well, so they were splitting pretty much till right at the end.

And yes, I know the goalies that Lowell was facing were good, but my point was that a couple of games switch around and his record looks a lot better. Hutton kept this team in games all year long. His offense just didn't provide any help.
                If I'm not mistaken, Hutton set a few records for UML also. While that is not necessarily the criteria, I thought he was more deserving as you have well documented. He is also a senior and will not have another opportunity. He carried UML this year, in my opinion.

Comment

Great freshman year by Stephane Da Costa!

Comment

Another thing on the lack of consistency...

Da Costa is a finalist for POTY
                    Brian Gibbons is not

However, Gibbons makes first team over Da Costa.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Another thing on the lack of consistency...

Da Costa is a finalist for POTY
                      Brian Gibbons is not

However, Gibbons makes first team over Da Costa.
                      I agree that is a bit odd

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        My eyes and the plus/minus stats tell me Patrick Cullity is one of the top 6 d-men in this league. Apparently offensive production matters more to the people who voted on this, though.
                        I was looking at that too.. I think Franzen at +11 is next closest and then it is basically even for the rest of the team. A +21 on this team stands out.

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                          I was looking at that too.. I think Franzen at +11 is next closest and then it is basically even for the rest of the team. A +21 on this team stands out.
                          Cullity is +21. The next closest on UVM is Stacey at +11. Only one other player in HE is more than 5 points better than anyone else on his team (Bonino is a +18 for BU; Connolly is second at +9).
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Cullity is +21. The next closest on UVM is Stacey at +11.
                            Only league games count for the awards, and Cullity was a +17 (next closest was Kevan Miller at +8). I'm thinking thelack of points and the 48 PIM in league play is why he didn't get on there.

Only one other player in HE is more than 5 points better than anyone else on his team (Bonino is a +18 for BU; Connolly is second at +9).
                            Jeremy Dehner was +12 for UML, next closest on the team was Kory Falite at +6.

Bonino and NiCastro were both +11 for BU in league play.
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior51 View Post
                              Great freshman year by Stephane Da Costa!
                              DaCosta is only the 3rd MC forward to be named to the 1st or 2nd team in HE history. They've never had a 1st team selection, and only Reggie Stringer and Anthony Aquino made 2nd team.

Congrats to all the players, and a special congrats to Coach Dennehey for making MC hockey relevent again.
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                              X