Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    I think that UW will be fortunate to make the NCAA's next year given the losses from graduation alone. Odds are that if UW makes the NCAA they would not play in Green Bay (as they are not the host) since where they play will depend on where they fall in the PWR order.
    I would have to completely agree with you. I don't see this badger team making the NCAA playoffs for another 4 years. The only way I see us making it is next season MAYBE. With two Senior goalies leaving after next season, I don't see anyone or hear anyone that will be great....not good...GREAT when they come in their Freshman year. So right there could be two years not making it, give the freshman goalie a year or two to get use to the college level and if that all pans out.....at least 4 years before we make it.

Of course I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      I think that blogger read baggots article first.
      Could be. Even then, he wasn't very substantial in anything he said was happening.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by AsAlwaysGoRed View Post
        I would have to completely agree with you. I don't see this badger team making the NCAA playoffs for another 4 years. The only way I see us making it is next season MAYBE. With two Senior goalies leaving after next season, I don't see anyone or hear anyone that will be great....not good...GREAT when they come in their Freshman year. So right there could be two years not making it, give the freshman goalie a year or two to get use to the college level and if that all pans out.....at least 4 years before we make it.

We don't even know what the team will look like NEXT year, much less the year after that, or the year after that, etc...

Comment

I thought I was pessimistic...wow.

if this team goes 4 years without an NCAA berth Eaves will be shown the door. I don't think UW goes 4 years out of the NCAA's, in fact if they go 2 consecutive years w/out an NCAA berth that would be a major disappointment, and the more I think about it it would be surprising...

on the optimistic side...

Mark Zengerle = GREAT. those are Heatley-esque numbers my friend.

beyond that. Turnbull will be a **** good every game player next season.

Derek Lee is a wild card as we only saw him in about 15 games this season but he should be as good or better than bombach/bendickson/grotting #'s wise and might even put up Street type numbers. he's a playmaker and he's going to be getting stronger in the off-season.

then you've got experience and talent in Jordy Murray, Derek Stepan, Sean Dolan.

add to that some guys in Jason Clark, Tyler Barnes, Frankie Simonelli, and Michael Mersch that appear to have solid D-1 tools and this team should pan out ok. at this point maybe not top 3 wcha, but 4th or 5th is not out of the question. and we simply don't know yet how these kids will develop.

Jefferson Dahl and Keegan Mauer = unknowns to me. Dahl put up *ok* numbers but it will probably be into January before we know how these kids are going to be playing night in and night out as they're going to be so many new faces and quite a steep learning curve.

if 3 d-men leave

UW will still have Gardiner, Schultz, and Ramage as starters, while Craig Smith will step up and adding Simonelli probably to the starting corps and possibly Little. that group on paper sounds closer to the 05-06 squad in talent level vs the 09-10 squad.

glass 1/2 full this time?
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

if 3 d-men leave

UW will still have Gardiner, Schultz, and Ramage as starters, while Craig Smith will step up and adding Simonelli probably to the starting corps and possibly Little. that group on paper sounds closer to the 05-06 squad in talent level vs the 09-10 squad.

glass 1/2 full this time?
            Do you guys think that Chase Drake will break into the lineup next year?

Comment

I think that 4 years is a little to extreme of claim. It's hard enough to look ahead through one off-season, let alone ahead 3 or 4 year ahead.

On top of that, all it takes is a serviceable goalie behind a good team to make the NCAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                I've never seen Chase Drake play so I'll leave that to the 60min bloggers.

anything is possible...I imagine the competition for the defensive spots 4-6 will be very intense

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

No

Mark Zengerle = GREAT. those are Heatley-esque numbers my friend.
                  I hope people honestly don't expect this kid of production out of Zengerle when he get's here. I've heard a lot of references to some pretty high end players. I think we need to temper our expectations a bit. There is a difference between 17 year old Kyle Turris and 17 year old Dany Heatley putting up those numbers in the BC and 20 year old Mark Zengerle putting up those numbers. That said, he's a great talent and being older, probably will be here longer than those two players combined.

Derek Lee is a wild card as we only saw him in about 15 games this season but he should be as good or better than bombach/bendickson/grotting #'s wise and might even put up Street type numbers. he's a playmaker and he's going to be getting stronger in the off-season.
                  DLee needs to get into an every game rotation. He looked a bit timid out there this past season and once he adjusts to the league he'll be great. I'd expect 20 points out of him next year if he plays every game.

Jefferson Dahl and Keegan Mauer = unknowns to me. Dahl put up *ok* numbers but it will probably be into January before we know how these kids are going to be playing night in and night out as they're going to be so many new faces and quite a steep learning curve
                  Dahl didn't have huge numbers but he led his team in scoring. You need to take into account the talent around him a little bit when assessing the numbers. I love the kid and think he will be a nice player for us. Much, much, much more offensive than Meuer.

Comment

I would have to completely agree with you. I don't see this badger team making the NCAA playoffs for another 4 years.
                    Its way too early to be making a statement like that. We have no idea exactly who is staying, who is leaving and what recruits Eaves has planned.
                    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                    Originally posted by MadCityRich
                    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

It's way too early to do this, especially since we don't know who will go pro early, and we still have a forward spot (at least 1) to fill. Early projection.

Murray-Stepan-Smith
                      Turnbull-Zengerle-Barnes
                      Lee-Dolan-Clark
                      Johnson-Dahl-Mersch
                      Little-Meuer-(?)

Gardiner-Ramage
                      Schultz-Simonelli
                      Springer-Johnson
                      Little-Drake

Gudmandson
                      Bennett

PP:

Zengerle-Stepan-Smith
                      Gardiner-Schultz

Comment

No
                        It's way too early to do this, especially since we don't know who will go pro early, and we still have a forward spot (at least 1) to fill. Early projection.
                        Little-Drake

Comment

That is the full roster. Note, he is the 8th defenseman. You can only suit up 6. I thought you were asking if he was going to play. Which the answer is, in my opinon...not a lot if at all this season. He's still on the roster.

Comment

No

I hope people honestly don't expect this kid of production out of Zengerle when he get's here. I've heard a lot of references to some pretty high end players. I think we need to temper our expectations a bit. There is a difference between 17 year old Kyle Turris and 17 year old Dany Heatley putting up those numbers in the BC and 20 year old Mark Zengerle putting up those numbers. That said, he's a great talent and being older, probably will be here longer than those two players combined.

DLee needs to get into an every game rotation. He looked a bit timid out there this past season and once he adjusts to the league he'll be great. I'd expect 20 points out of him next year if he plays every game.

Dahl didn't have huge numbers but he led his team in scoring. You need to take into account the talent around him a little bit when assessing the numbers. I love the kid and think he will be a nice player for us. Much, much, much more offensive than Meuer.
                            great points on all Chuck. I had forgotten Heater was younger than Zengerle. Still, I'm expecting Zengerle to be a force. Maybe not 28g 28a like Heater but say a 15g 25a 40point guy. Especially if he's paired with Smith and Stepan. I won't be disappointed if he nets 30 points, but I guess I'm thinking he won't be your typical freshman who will take 1/2 the season to get up to speed.

Good to hear your input on Dahl.

Re: Mauer....is this the kid some people were comparing to Burish or am I thinking of someone else?

Comment

great points on all Chuck. I had forgotten Heater was younger than Zengerle. Still, I'm expecting Zengerle to be a force. Maybe not 28g 28a like Heater but say a 15g 25a 40point guy. Especially if he's paired with Smith and Stepan. I won't be disappointed if he nets 30 points, but I guess I'm thinking he won't be your typical freshman who will take 1/2 the season to get up to speed.

Good to hear your input on Dahl.

Re: Mauer....is this the kid some people were comparing to Burish or am I thinking of someone else?
                              1) I don't know if they will pair Zengerle with Stepan (if he's still here). They are both distributors and I think that our offense would benefit by having them playing on separate lines. If you have too many people looking to set people up, no one puts it in the net.

Point wise, I'd say max 40, min 30. I'd be happy in the 34-36 range.

2) I am not sure who would have compared Meuer to Burish. Burish is a leader, a trend setter. Not to bash Meuer but I've heard he is a little immature. He should get an opportunity for fourth line minutes this season as should Ryan Little. Both fit that role.

Comment

1) I don't know if they will pair Zengerle with Stepan (if he's still here). They are both distributors and I think that our offense would benefit by having them playing on separate lines. If you have too many people looking to set people up, no one puts it in the net.

Point wise, I'd say max 40, min 30. I'd be happy in the 34-36 range.

2) I am not sure who would have compared Meuer to Burish. Burish is a leader, a trend setter. Not to bash Meuer but I've heard he is a little immature. He should get an opportunity for fourth line minutes this season as should Ryan Little. Both fit that role.
                                sounds good to me on Zengerle, 34-36 points is right where Jason Zent was as a frosh (though probably younger). pair him with Smith maybe or Turnbull then.

Maybe it was Cody Strang then that someone was comparing to Burish. I forget, I'm getting old!

Comment

Working...
                                X