Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Originally posted by cereal addict View Post
    It is not hard. There are no Badgers on the bears or cubs and blackhawks do not have a WI rival. Big differences IMO
    Well... the Blackhawks don't have a rival in Wisconsin. But they are captained by a Sioux player. Yuck.

And the Blackhawks (or rather, $ Bill Wirt$) are probably the primary reason Milwaukee never got an NHL team. They could have kept Borque, promoted Dowell and Skille to the main club and had them on board with Burish, and I'd still hate the Blackhawks. Plus, I was a North Stars fan as a kid, so the Hawks can just burn as far as I'm concerned.

Any chance Milwaukee had of getting an NHL team was already spent up in the late 80s and early 90s. Thank the Wirtz and Gund families for that. The closest we'll ever get to the NHL are the owned-by-a-guy-from-Racine Minnesota Wild.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The rumor is Osiecki is a finalist for the OSU job. He obviously is a great recruiter but what do the Wisconsin fans think about the rest of his coaching?

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
        The rumor is Osiecki is a finalist for the OSU job. He obviously is a great recruiter but what do the Wisconsin fans think about the rest of his coaching?

I think the talent level that our D has been at the last 5 years speaks for itself. We have a lot of D players in the NHL or AHL with Oz's help. The players NHL (draft rights) teams like the development and coaching they get at UW through Oz.

Comment

Geoffrion's first two goals.

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home.html

Comment

Oz definitely does a helluva job recruiting, especially high end defensemen, but where I think he is most valuable as a coach is taking average defensemen and turning them into a great, cohesive unit.

The 2006 championship team only had one really talented defensemen - Tom Gilbert. The rest of the d-corps (Engel, Drewiske, Klubertanz, Likens, Piskula, Olinger) were not particularly talented, but Eaves and Oz got them to play so good together it didn't matter. That was a better defensive team than this season's team (who had 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks). Probably something to do with smaller egos, I dunno.

Also as I'm sure you know he ran the GB Gamblers franchise for quite a while, and had some great seasons there. So it's not like he's been a lifelong assistant and doesn't know how to be the guy in charge.

That said, it would be kind of surprising to me if he took the job...IIRC, he took a pay cut (maybe a significant one?) when he left GB to be an assistant at UW. I read that as him wanting the head coaching job here eventually, as Eaves seemed the type that wouldn't stick around forever. But Baggot made it sound like it was common knowledge Oz had NHL aspirations recently, so if that's true, I don't know how being the man in charge at Ohio State would get him there any quicker?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              Geoffrion's first two goals.

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home.html
              Admiral Asskicker's first goal was a beauty, a nice slapper on a drop pass right by huge sieve Peter Mannino.

He missed what was basically an open net on a late PP for the Hat Trick.

Started and played on the top PP unit, looked like he belonged out there from teh first puck drop.
              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
              Originally posted by UWisco
              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

[QUOTE=aktick;4752911]
                The 2006 championship team only had one really talented defensemen - Tom Gilbert. The rest of the d-corps (Engel, Drewiske, Klubertanz, Likens, Piskula, Olinger) were not particularly talented, but Eaves and Oz got them to play so good together it didn't matter. That was a better defensive team than this season's team (who had 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks). Probably something to do with smaller egos, I dunno.

QUOTE]

I am not cutting Goody, but the 06 team may have been a better defensive team because of Elliott. Also, every Dman out of that 06 group is playing pro hockey except Olinger. It would be tough to say that they were "not particularly talented." That being said Gilbert is the only one getting solid NHL minutes nightly. They were solid players just not soon to be stand out NHL players. I may have just proved your point....I don't know.

Comment

I am not cutting Goody, but the 06 team may have been a better defensive team because of Elliott. Also, every Dman out of that 06 group is playing pro hockey except Olinger. It would be tough to say that they were "not particularly talented." That being said Gilbert is the only one getting solid NHL minutes nightly. They were solid players just not soon to be stand out NHL players. I may have just proved your point....I don't know.
                  Likens had talent, he was just a bonehead who Oz had to whip into form. Drewiske - a natural athlete, but not a lot of hockey skill, IMO. But a smart guy who knew how to play within the system. Engel, Olinger - neither had much talent, but again, intelligent guys. Klubertanz was the weirdest one of the group, he clearly had talent, but almost regressed in his last couple years. And Piskula would have been a solid D-man on any club, and was all the better in UW's system.

You're definitely right that Elliott had something to do with it vs. Goody with this year's club. And the 7 on the '06 team were all talented enough to be playing, it's not like Oz and Eaves took a bunch of Eric Springers (no offense to him) and molded them into an elite defensive unit...but I still think if you take goalies out of the equation, that 2006 team was a better and more cohesive group of defensemen than this year's, for whatever reason.

Comment

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...kes-sense.html

Huh... well, that's one blogger's opinion, I guess... as a blogger with NO inside sources (well... Mrs. EoDS' brother went to high school with a current Badger, but that's it, and I doubt I could get much that way...), I wish there were something I could sink my teeth into besides nameless "rumors" with no details...
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Huh... well, that's one blogger's opinion, I guess... as a blogger with NO inside sources (well... Mrs. EoDS' brother went to high school with a current Badger, but that's it, and I doubt I could get much that way...), I wish there were something I could sink my teeth into besides nameless "rumors" with no details...
                      Well EoDS, didn't we all figure he was gone? After all, Barry Melrose said he was all but gone.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Coyos?
                        Wisconsin Badgers
                        NCAA Champions 1973 1977 1981 1983 1990 2006

Comment

I think the Badgers will put themselves in a spot to make the NCAA tourney next year if he and Stepan stay. Plus, anything can happen in the tournament and the first two games I believe will be played in Green Bay.

Comment

I'm just going to stick my head in the sand until October.

Comment

I think that blogger read baggots article first.

Comment

I think the Badgers will put themselves in a spot to make the NCAA tourney next year if he and Stepan stay. Plus, anything can happen in the tournament and the first two games I believe will be played in Green Bay.
                                I think that UW will be fortunate to make the NCAA's next year given the losses from graduation alone. Odds are that if UW makes the NCAA they would not play in Green Bay (as they are not the host) since where they play will depend on where they fall in the PWR order.

Comment

Working...
                                X