Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I think finishing is not teachable. Either you have it, Heatley, Kariya, Vanek, Reinprecht, Granato, Toews, Oshie, et al or you don't. and this extends to all the other WCHA teams.

I mean who are you afraid to see go against your team on a breakaway, or who are you most weary of your team facing as an individual player? the only player this season I can mention is Rhett Rakshani (sp?) from DU. none of the rest of the 8 teams has a player like that really. Roe? sometimes. Connolly x2? sometimes. The difference is the players on that first list didn't show up sometimes. they were noticeably creating havoc every game.
    I think there's a fair amount of truth to that. And because some players have that ability they cause opponents to change their game, which acts like compounded interest. Reinprecht may not be the top star on your list or the best goal-scorer, but he had a way of destabilizing the other team's flow when he was on the ice. Part of that was his linemate, but he was creative in the offensive zone in a way that made coverage a real problem. He was a closer with the shot or the pass.

It's not that I'm a Reinprecht groupie, but he was an example of someone who could be a closer without wowing you with his stand-alone skills. Even without considering Heatley, he was rarely the most talented player on the ice. It takes something more and, as you say, few have it. Those two Hukalo OT goals against UND started with Reinprecht in the face-off circle, if I recall. Crunch time and he delivered.
    Last edited by burd; 03-20-2010, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigus View Post
      I tend to agree with Almington that we generated a ton of great chances. It seemed like every time we got the chance to the net, Lee saved it, and when he was down and beat, we missed the net. However, this is not a hiccup. I've now been complaining about this exact thing for years. Even in the "defensive team" years, we generated chances and didn't finish. I don't know how you teach finishing, but somehow Eaves isn't doing it.
      I used to agree with you, but it's hard to say that this year when the team is averaging 4 goals a game. I do agree Eaves has issues teaching finishing, but this team has enough natural talent on it that teaching it isn't the problem.

As far as the game goes I contend they didn't generate a ton of good chances. 5 shots on goal in the 2nd period? Terrible. They finished strong like I said before, but that effort in the final 10 was not indicative of their performance in the rest of the game.

The pp was not good either, 0-5. Davies did have that one great chance where he didn't top shelf it in the 1st, but that was it. They need to move the puck quicker.

They are not playing with a chip on their shoulder. They need to.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        That's not the game that I saw. The team just couldn't finish and Lee made some great saves. It was a faced paced and hard hitting game, much faster and more exciting then the other two games thus far at the final five.

That said, the Badgers didn't bring their A games, lot of mistakes yet if a couple bounces go the other way the Badger could have won the game by 3 or 4 goals.

The games against UAA don't count?
        As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I used to agree with you, but it's hard to say that this year when the team is averaging 4 goals a game. I do agree Eaves has issues teaching finishing, but this team has enough natural talent on it that teaching it isn't the problem.

As far as the game goes I contend they didn't generate a ton of good chances. 5 shots on goal in the 2nd period? Terrible. They finished strong like I said before, but that effort in the final 10 was not indicative of their performance in the rest of the game.

The pp was not good either, 0-5. Davies did have that one great chance where he didn't top shelf it in the 1st, but that was it. They need to move the puck quicker.

They spent ~half of the 2nd period on the PK, including having to kill off the 5 min major.

As for a woes on the PP, a lot of that had to do with SCSU's PK, very aggressive and always challenging the player with the puck and limiting his options. SCSU does not play a passive PK like most teams and from what I saw that was a major contributor to UW's PP problems.

This team averaged 4 goals a game this season, they know how to finish. If they could finish every opportunity they be in the NHL right now not on UW.

Half or more of the everyday players from this team won't be at UW next year, enjoy what UW has this year, because next season is going to have some growing pains.

This is the best team that UW has had since the 2006-05 team, a team that coincidentally also lost in the semi finals at the F5. Hopefully, this team can come out tonight and lock up the #1 seed to the NCAAs.

Comment

This is the best team that UW has had since the 2006-05 team, a team that coincidentally also lost in the semi finals at the F5. Hopefully, this team can come out tonight and lock up the #1 seed to the NCAAs.
            The difference being that the 06 team had won 4 in a row before that and was en route to giving up 9 goals in the final 10 games of the year. They were peaking at the right time, had an edge and were playing their game at a high level. Now I realize that they are different teams and that this team will need to score to win, but they might want to start scoring against teams other than Tech or UAA.

I think a lot of us are looking for some sign that this team is going to elevate their game and get on some sort of a roll... something that will be necessary to win a title. The hour is getting late to still be waiting.

Comment

Its kind of hard to beat a team like SCSU when you are trying to kill a powerplay all the time.
              I think the team played well, they just had a lot of bad luck with penalties.
              I dont question the leadership of Geoffrion. Id chalk this loss up to the Badgers simply taking far too many penalties.
              Hopefully they will play with a chip on their shoulders against Denver today.
              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
              Originally posted by MadCityRich
              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                The difference being that the 06 team had won 4 in a row before that and was en route to giving up 9 goals in the final 10 games of the year. They were peaking at the right time, had an edge and were playing their game at a high level. Now I realize that they are different teams and that this team will need to score to win, but they might want to start scoring against teams other than Tech or UAA.

I think a lot of us are looking for some sign that this team is going to elevate their game and get on some sort of a roll... something that will be necessary to win a title. The hour is getting late to still be waiting.
                Another difference: playing in the 3rd place game in '06 actually helped the Badgers, strangely enough, when the rodents ended up in the 3rd place game as well and beating them locked up #1 overall and secured the GB regional. Here, the Badgers needed to win a game, any game, this weekend to lock up a one seed (#1 overall had already been eliminated as a possibility as I understand it), and as it worked out, I would've much rather they took care of business against SCSU than leaving it for a 3rd place game against a very good and potentially PO'ed Denver team. Not sure what the scenarios for slipping past #4 overall looked like though, and if any of them are still in play today, so I don't know whether we're likely to slip out of a 1 seed if we lose.

All that aside, if the team shows up appropriately motivated and ready to play, and locks up a 1 seed with a win this afternoon, I'll choose to be optimistic that it's the start of a winning streak. And this is the time of year for a winning streak.

And if my [possibly inaccurate: I've spent much more time blowing my nose the last three days than using the pairwise predictor, so I'm going off what I've read/heard] pairwise ramblings didn't give it away, yeah, I'm not that concerned about WCHA playoff titles. Sure, it's kinda nice, but securing the best possible seed to make an NCAA run is my top priority for the team in any year.
                Last edited by The Hallucination; 03-20-2010, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  I think finishing is not teachable. Either you have it, Heatley, Kariya, Vanek, Reinprecht, Granato, Toews, Oshie, et al or you don't. and this extends to all the other WCHA teams.

I mean who are you afraid to see go against your team on a breakaway, or who are you most weary of your team facing as an individual player? the only player this season I can mention is Rhett Rakshani (sp?) from DU. none of the rest of the 8 teams has a player like that really. Roe? sometimes. Connolly x2? sometimes. The difference is the players on that first list didn't show up sometimes. they were noticeably creating havoc every game.

Scoring-wise this UW team has far exceeded my expectations. But if you asked me who the snipers are, who can you count on in the clutch, I'm not sure I'd have an answer for you.

next season...however...might be a different story. This Zengerle kid looks like he's got sniper-type talent.
                  Agreed on the point that although there are always things you can help players improve upon, you can't really teach someone to finish. Some players just naturally position themselves better than others, and have the scoring gift.

Zengerle is more of a distributor than a scorer from what I was told by Salmon Arm's Head Coach last season when we traded e-mails.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
                    Another difference: playing in the 3rd place game in '06 actually helped the Badgers, strangely enough, when the rodents ended up in the 3rd place game as well and beating them locked up #1 overall and secured the GB regional. Here, the Badgers needed to win a game, any game, this weekend to lock up a one seed (#1 overall had already been eliminated as a possibility as I understand it), and as it worked out, I would've much rather they took care of business against SCSU than leaving it for a 3rd place game against a very good and potentially PO'ed Denver team. Not sure what the scenarios for slipping past #4 overall looked like though, and if any of them are still in play today, so I don't know whether we're likely to slip out of a 1 seed if we lose.

All that aside, if the team shows up appropriately motivated and ready to play, and locks up a 1 seed with a win this afternoon, I'll choose to be optimistic that it's the start of a winning streak. And this is the time of year for a winning streak.

And if my [possibly inaccurate: I've spent much more time blowing my nose the last three days than using the pairwise predictor, so I'm going off what I've read/heard] pairwise ramblings didn't give it away, yeah, I'm not that concerned about WCHA playoff titles. Sure, it's kinda nice, but securing the best possible seed to make an NCAA run is my top priority for the team in any year.

Looks like we have the #3 overal seed locked up: http://www.playoffstatus.com/ncaahoc...nseedprob.html

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                      Looks like we have the #3 overal seed locked up: http://www.playoffstatus.com/ncaahoc...nseedprob.html
                      I've now run scenarios on pairwise predictor this morning that have us as low as 5 overall if we lose.

For example, if we lose and the following teams win, I get us a 2 seed at number 5 overall:
                      Miami
                      NMU
                      St. Lawrence
                      Cornell
                      BC
                      UND
                      RIT

I'm also fairly sure at this point, though I haven't checked everything, that the CCHA, ECAC, and AH tournaments have relatively little impact on our seed at this point. I think they keys, if we lose, are who wins HE and WCHA. If we lose, we do not want UND to win, and we'd prefer Maine beats BC. I haven't run enough scenarios to say those things for sure, but they seem to be true in what I have run.

ETA: Reading a few other bracketology posts confirms that others have reached similar conclusions- we lock up 3 overall with a win, but can fall if we lose. My purpose in running pairwise predictions this morning was to determine, if we lose, what impact other games have on whether we drop... so don't ask me who else is in/out in those scenarios, I was just looking for ones where we drop to 5 overall, and then did a bit of checking on what results in UND at 3 overall and us at 4 overall. Conclusion: if we lose, we want UND to lose.
                      Last edited by The Hallucination; 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM.

Comment

You guys like to think he have the best defense in college hockey history, but yet you keep losing and losing lately... what ever you guys are smoking over there most be good stuff!

Comment

Golubef has been suspended for todays 3rd place game by WCHA for yesterday's contact to the head penalty.

Comment

"All the negativity in this town sucks."

Originally posted by bigus View Post
                            I tend to agree with Almington that we generated a ton of great chances. It seemed like every time we got the chance to the net, Lee saved it, and when he was down and beat, we missed the net. However, this is not a hiccup. I've now been complaining about this exact thing for years. Even in the "defensive team" years, we generated chances and didn't finish. I don't know how you teach finishing, but somehow Eaves isn't doing it.
                            Give me a break, it's college hockey. Perhaps the long term problem with finishing plays is due to the fact that these are college kids playing the game, not professionals.

None of the teams at the Final 5 this weekend have had anything close to their A games. To many mistakes and to much sloppy play from all 5 teams.

UW's play today may not have received an A due to the number small mistakes, but I see Lee (and the stupid post) as having won this game more for SCSU than UW doing anything specific to lose it.

Games like today happen, you generate great chance after great chance and catch a post here and the goalie makes a great save there and the next thing you know you have lost a 1-0 game. You try and learn from the mistakes and then put all the talk of puck luck and bad bounces out of you mind because you have to worry about the things that you can control and ignore those you can't.

I saw the effort I expect even if the desired results were not achieved.
                            Well said. Sometimes you don't get the breaks. I saw good skating and good play for the most part.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            99% of fan posts about a team's effort are complete bull****, and this board is no exception. You have no idea what's going on.

I sure as hell didn't see any lack of effort.

Even when things aren't going your way, or you're making mistakes on the ice, that doesn't mean you're not playing with effort or that you lack the requisite chip on the shoulder.

The ice was freaking tilted towards the St. Cloud end while I was watching. A post here, an amazing save there, and some bad penalty calls and you get a result like this.

In sports, it's possible for you to do everything correctly and still lose. You wouldn't think that's the case from reading the boards here.
                            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

So, since coach juggled the lines today & we've come out with 2 goals before Denver's first shot, does he stick with this chart in the NCAA's?

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                                "All the negativity in this town sucks."

Give me a break, it's college hockey. Perhaps the long term problem with finishing plays is due to the fact that these are college kids playing the game, not professionals.

Well said. Sometimes you don't get the breaks. I saw good skating and good play for the most part.

99% of fan posts about a team's effort are complete bull****, and this board is no exception. You have no idea what's going on.

I sure as hell didn't see any lack of effort.

Even when things aren't going your way, or you're making mistakes on the ice, that doesn't mean you're not playing with effort or that you lack the requisite chip on the shoulder.

The ice was freaking tilted towards the St. Cloud end while I was watching. A post here, an amazing save there, and some bad penalty calls and you get a result like this.

In sports, it's possible for you to do everything correctly and still lose. You wouldn't think that's the case from reading the boards here.
                                You honestly don't see a difference between yesterday and the effort put out in the first period against Denver? Night and day to me. But then again, you may be the only one who can judge effort correctly.

BTW, I've seen Turnbull do more in the first 20 minutes today than I've see from Johnson for the last month.
                                Last edited by srkbadger; 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X