Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Originally posted by Innova View Post
    What does everyone think about the contact to the head penalties, is there a solution?

I agree that concussions and head injuries are very serious and should be watched very closely. However, a lot of times what would be a perfectly clean hit was changed into a contact to the head, as the puck carrier was trying to duck the hit. There was no way for the defender to stop at that point.

What do you guys think?
    If they are really going to call those contact to the head penalties consistently, it's going to take some time before players get the change. It's going to need to be enforced at all levels of play, players will have to develop different habits, etc.

It's not a bad thing per se, but the change could be painful. That's why I think this relatively sudden focus on those kinds of penalties, while justified, leaves the players on the ice scratching their heads about what's a clean hit and what's not.
    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
      If they are really going to call those contact to the head penalties consistently, it's going to take some time before players get the change. It's going to need to be enforced at all levels of play, players will have to develop different habits, etc.

It's not a bad thing per se, but the change could be painful. That's why I think this relatively sudden focus on those kinds of penalties, while justified, leaves the players on the ice scratching their heads about what's a clean hit and what's not.
      I guess my issue with how they are calling this now is that it seems like every big open ice hit results in an automatic contact to the head penalty if the collision looks bad enough. At least that was my impression after this weekend at the X. I have no problem calling contact to the head, there were several easy and well deserved calls this weekend for that. But it just seems like all big hits, especially when there is a size differential in the players, is now automatically contact to the head. Or maybe it was just because the officiating this weekend was absolutely horrid, for all parties involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Since Ford Field is in South Downtown Detroit, and given that we used to sing "Lights" during the third period of home games, I hereby nominate Don't Stop Believin' as the official anthem of our trip to Detroit:
        You know, they played this both nights at the X, and the UW students even finished it off after they cut the music when play resumed. Heck, I even found myself humming along, so that's a good nomination. They also broke out House of Pain both nights for the Badger fans.

Comment

Well, my group has passed out and I sit alone with my beer in the business center. Very few complaints about the game tonight. I think we played well, and got a good game from SCSU. The SH'ed goal had some lazy play and was a bad rebound from Goody, and the EN goal by SCSU was one that I hate to see go in, especially from that angle, but ESPECIALLY in that situation. But I think the Huskies made those plays because they really wanted the game. I hope we clean them up going forward.

To the officiating, pretty much every penalty that was called confused me. They'd call one on us and I didn't see it or know why or thought it was a soft call, and then they'd call one on SCSU and I didn't see it or know why or thought it was a soft call. Equal opportunity suck from the stripes.

I am scared of RIT. They are giant killers, and they must believe. They just took a team who must have thought they had a relatively easy tourney game to the woodshed.

Lift a glass. Let's rock rock city.

ETA: on the Journey question, I hope the newer generations of students recall that we sang Lights because the lights went out in the third period of a game against, I think, Mankato. If I remember correctly, we had to finish the game the next night. Not that Journey doesn't rule.
          Last edited by bigus; 03-28-2010, 01:34 AM.
          Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

So what's everybody doing for tix? I'm debating whether to go to the semis or not...might just wait and if they win, drive over Saturday morning and get some, not sure. Don't really feel like spending 2 nights in Detroit.

Comment

good luck to the badgers going foreward at the Frozen Four. i said in a different thread that the winner of tonights game would go on to win the championship, and I believe Wisconsin has the team that can and will do it.
              This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
              www.twitter.com/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Didn't see any thing up here... but why wasn't Patrick Johnson Dressed for either nights game this weekend?????

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Badger Fan View Post
                  Didn't see any thing up here... but why wasn't Patrick Johnson Dressed for either nights game this weekend?????
                  Because Turnbull is better.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
                    Because Turnbull is better.
                    That line played so much better this weekend with Turnbull. Just my $.02.
                    Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

Well, awesome job by UW. I tried to DVR the game but my DVR F'ed up and I only got to watch the 3rd period

So happy to see this team move on.

Lets get number 7!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigus View Post
                        ETA: on the Journey question, I hope the newer generations of students recall that we sang Lights because the lights went out in the third period of a game against, I think, Mankato. If I remember correctly, we had to finish the game the next night. Not that Journey doesn't rule.
                        That's exactly right. It's also why it was always sung with 5:00 left in the third.

There probably aren't any students left who were there when it happened. That was back in 2003. I was a freshman then, and I graduated a few years ago.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...onsinGame.html
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          There probably aren't any students left who were there when it happened. That was back in 2003. I was a freshman then, and I graduated a few years ago.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...onsinGame.html
                          I believe that was a Friday game and I had sold my tickets but had my Saturday ones so got to see us finish that one and win the next one all in the same night.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                            Well, it is becoming a point of emphasis in youth hockey. We saw lots of these calls made and the kids finally started to realize that they cannot check and finish with their hands/elbows up or extended.

There were also times where the contact was called and it was simply a result of the size differential between the two players. It's always been that way in youth hockey though that the bigger kids will get called for clean hits on smaller kids. At the Peewee level you've got 5'8" 150 lbs going against 4'3" 70 lbs.

We had one little opposing turd get 4 in one game against us, but we were whooping them and he was doing it on purpose. Wanted to beat his a-s-s and his coach's a-s-s as it was cheap and dangerous and obviously on purpose. Would've been benched on our team.

I like the emphasis on it, but agree that nearly every open ice hit will result in this call with how they're currently calling it. There needs to be a differentiation between what Marvin did, attacking from behind and targeting high, and the open ice hit last night where the opposing player saw the hit coming and ducked.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              There needs to be a differentiation between what Marvin did, attacking from behind and targeting high, and the open ice hit last night where the opposing player saw the hit coming and ducked.
                              Got it! They call both players and give a Ducking(sort of diving) penalty to the ducker.

You're welcome.

Comment

Didn't get a chance to see any of the game but was glad to hear we won.

I am not sure about this questions so can some one please let me know.

What's are chances of beating RIT? I know UW can beat any team but the way they have been playing lately and the way RIT has been playing as of late, who do you think will win? Honestly???

Comment

Working...
                                X