Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Davies is a shooting machine.
    Best player on the ice tonight IMHO. I'm amazed at how far his overall game has come over the last year.
    Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
      I think it was more of a comparison of style than results. Mankato has some big boys as well, they play physical, etc. Not meant to be a put down.

Now, if we were to compare your coach to Troy Jutting, that's a different story.
      My comment was meant to be a little bit sarcastic, I haven't seen MSU-Mankato this year and I was guessing that they either play pretty physical like us, or employ the neutral zone trap which we play more often than I'd like. UVM did finish 8th in hockey east, so I can't take too much offense! Thanks for providing the description of MSU's play.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post

Congrats to Vermont on a tough, hard fought game. They definitely played like they belonged in the tournament. Their style of play kinda reminds me of Mankato a bit.
        Maybe the 2nd and 3rd they played like Mankato because in the first they came out like gangbusters. They were forechecking well and looked extremely quick out there creating more scoring chances than the Badgers. I was getting a little worried, but when the Badgers tied it up to start the 2nd, Vermont just seemed to run out of gas the rest of the way.

And hopefully Brendan Smith got the stupid out of him for the rest of the tournament. That was just a dumb penalty at the worst time. Luckily the refs were horrible and evened things out.
        Last edited by sweatpants; 03-27-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
          Best player on the ice tonight IMHO. I'm amazed at how far his overall game has come over the last year.
          To say nothing about how far he's come since his freshman year, when I'm convinced he turned the puck over 2 out of every 3 times he touched the puck.

And that assist by Schultz? Flat out pretty.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Congratulations to the Badgers for their solid win tonight over UVM.

That 2nd period clearly showed Wisconsin was the better/more talented team
            ... good luck to Wisconsin the rest of the way.
            GaryH - UVM Class of '73
            "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Comment

I have to say I didn't think they played all that well. I have a sneaking suspicion that we didn't get Vermont's best game either. Gudmandson started coming up big in the third, and we dominated the second, but played poorly in the first (our passing was so out of sync that I started cheering for solo rushes and dump in shots) and average in the second half of the third. However, it fits into my plan of having this relatively inconsistent team play poorly and win one night so we can play well and win...tomorrow! And beyond.

We're staying in the Embassy Suites and will be out and about watching other games and finding beer tomorrow if anyone wants to share a delicious drink. $3 Irish Carbombs all day in the hotel bar here for some reason tomorrow. In section C32 again tomorrow. I thought the students that showed represented very well, to those of you who read the board.
              Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

I would like the Badgers to play an entire game like they played the second period. That was great. Awesome forechecking, they were all over Vermont every time they had the puck. Really changed the pace of the game after a very subpar first.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryH View Post
                  Congratulations to the Badgers for their solid win tonight over UVM.

That 2nd period clearly showed Wisconsin was the better/more talented team
                  ... good luck to Wisconsin the rest of the way.
                  Vermont gave us all we could handle, so thanks for the props. You need to get that one dude on the defensive line. Larson? Lawson? Dude's a scary tank.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    I keep trying to find a still image from the scene in O Brother Where Art Thou where they're eating gopher by the campfire. I'm 0 for 4 on that one.
                    *****http://burbanked.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/brother_where_art_thou_meals.jpg******
                    Originally posted by solovsfett
                    To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Pretty decent game last night...2nd period was great. Ready to hit the road for 4 1/2 hours. Probably like everyone else be at the eagle street bar. Cant imagine not being able to find tickets after seeing the stands last night. Let's Go Bucky

Comment

Overall, I'd say we did what we needed to.

I don't think we were very good in the first, despite the early goal. I think Goody struggled and he's gotta get that second goal puck covered. Another less than stellar start, but some credit goes to a veteran Vermont team that didn't back down.

Obviously adjustments were made and we came out strong the rest of the way with Vermont only getting pockets of momentum.

I thought Mitchel's slashing penalty was incredibly stupid and even my eleven year old commented that it killed our momentum, which it did. Both Geoffrion and Smith need to be smarter with their hits when we're protecting a lead.

Either hit could have been let go if we didn't have ECAC women's refs calling the game, but they weren't. I like physical play and both hits were nice, but time and place guys.

Overall, just good enough, which is nothing to sneeze at this time of year. Good win. Let's get another tonight.

Comment

I'm not sure what to think about last nights game. I think if we would have played RIT we would have gotten our behinds handed to us. Not to take anything away from UVM they played well but not well enough to win the game.
                          I hope the badgers bring everything tonight. Score every time on the PP, which was nice to see 3 last night, and start getting closer to the net before they take the one timer. It seem to me they were shooting the puck from the blue line with 2 defenders in front of the shot.
                          I think some of the penalty calls were bad on the refs part but at least they did call them on both teams

For tonight I think its going to be close.. St. Cloud has been on a tear this past month, hopefully the badgers will win

Go Red

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            I thought Mitchel's slashing penalty was incredibly stupid and even my eleven year old commented that it killed our momentum, which it did. Both Geoffrion and Smith need to be smarter with their hits when we're protecting a lead.

Either hit could have been let go if we didn't have ECAC women's refs calling the game, but they weren't. I like physical play and both hits were nice, but time and place guys.
                            Vermont played a physical and hard hitting game and the refs (for the most part) just let both teams play, UW had to match that physicality and that was invariably going to lead to taking some penalties from going over the line of what is a legal hit.

My biggest grip with the officiating yesterday was that it was so inconstant; the line of what was a legal hit wasn't the same over the course of the game. The refs let so much of the physical play go, then called a few ticky tacky penalties, then called some stuff they let go earlier in the game as penalties. Plus, they called the wrong types of penalties on blatant infractions, which made me question if they actually had any idea what the correct penalties were.

It says something, that as bad as WCHA officiating can be, that nearly every year in the NCAA tournament, I see what the other conferences have in officiating and it becomes apparent that as "bad" as WCHA's officiating is, it is best in college hockey. (scary thought, I know).

That said, I don't think that the officiating gave either team an advantage.

I do think that UW played a much better game in the LOSS to SCSU last Friday then they did in the win against Vermont yesterday. UW will need to step up their play to make it past an SCSU team who finally has a 22 season monkey of their back (now they have to win a NCAA game outside of the state of MN, because apparently winning games in your home state discounts the value of the wins).

Comment

Wisconsin looked flat footed in the first and Vermont's forecheck had them on their heels.The Catamounts were the better team until the Badgers found out they were'nt going to be in a cake walk.Vermont outworked and beat Wisconsin to the loose pucks in the 1st.The powerplay gave the Badgers the chance to get back in it.In the second Bucky dominated and played like they had the man advantage for most of the period.Shots went from about even in the 1st to almost a 2-1 edge by the end of the 2nd.If not for some last second stick checks and some stellar play by the Vermont tender it could have easily been 4-2 or 5-2 after 2.In the third I thought Wisconsin controlled play for most of the period not in a dominant fashion but in puck possesion with Vermont having a couple of minutes of sustained pressure with some good chances but Gudmonson was able to shut the door.Props to Vermont they belonged they were as good as anyone at the X last night a bounce here or there in either game and it could have been NMU and Vermont tonight.As stated earlier seats weren abundant I'm guessing attendance at about 6 or 7 thousand max.There was'nt a soul in the upper deck none of the executive boxes had bodies in them save 2, and there were tons of seats open at ice level.The Badgers need to pick it up tonight because most of the Huskie fans now relieved that their 0-8 streak is over feel they own the Badgers at least I was told that by some on my elevator ride before St Clouds 1st overtime.
                              The West is the Best: Jim Morrison and the Doors from The End

Comment

Definitely need some 5x5 scoring tonight...and 5 guys had all of UW's points last night. Somebody other than Geoffrion, Stepan, Davies, Smith, Schultz need to get on the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X