Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by Bleachered View Post
    Guilty? Not really. Markell's teams were not consistently winning. His contract was not renewed.

And where the heck was the Dispatch all season? Where were the Dispatch reporters when the team was being forced to play post season games at the ice rink?
    Exactly! If you believe the article, the lack of success was all the athletic department's fault. It didn't have anything to do with our hockey program being sub-.500 and in the lower half of the CCHA for four of the past five seasons, now, did it?!? Give me a break. I will say this, though, if the athletic department is serious about having a championship-caliber hockey program, they should make a championship-caliber commitment and build these guys their own ice arena. If they don't make that type of commitment to this program, the next guy may not do any better than Markell did. Actually, if that type of commitment is not made, we may not even get a decent coach to come here. And no, I did not feel guilty about JM's non-renewal after reading that article. If he's as good a coach as Arace thinks, then someone will hire him.
    Last edited by osualum86; 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
      Interesting article for JM haters...kinda makes you feel guilty...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...y.html?sid=101
      The guy has no idea what he's talking about. He writes this:

Markell recruited three players who would go on to become All-Americans. He recruited 18 players who would be drafted into the NHL, including three first-round picks and two second-round picks. Four of his players - R.J. Umberger of the Blue Jackets, Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks, Dave Steckel of the Washington Capitals and Rod Pelley of the New Jersey Devils - are well-established at the NHL level. A number of others are sprinkled throughout the minor leagues.
      Yet, he doesn't have the ability to look at what all that talent actually accomplished (sporadic, mostly losing, trips to The Joe and the occasional 1st round NCAA loss) and broach the subject of how that talent was handled on the ice and developed (or lack thereof) off the ice.

In many ways (apr, grad rates, character of his athletes) Markell ran an first class program. He just couldn't produce.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        Classic uneducated post on how an athletic department works....
        Then enlighten me. Just don't make uneducated and unsubstantiated drive-by flames.

Show me your figures and sources about all this money that you contend Miami's hockey program is generating. What is the program's p&l, and what are its specific revenue streams (i.e. ticket sales, media rights, donor contributions)?

Explain to me, with examples, how an athletic department really works. Apparently spending 3 dollars for every 1 dollar it generates is part of the equation, but I need a little help on the details.

Explain to us all how an athletic department that's already relying on university subsidies for 2/3 of its budget has this war chest to keep hockey at the top should Blasi leave.

Explain to me the fundamental differences between Miami's current riding of a hot young coach for a limited period of success and Bowling Green's doing the same 25 years ago. What are the exact details that makes Miami's success sustainable post-Blasi whereas Bowling Green's quickly evaporated in the wake of York's departure?

Please, do all of that for us unenlightened Buckeyes. Otherwise, just ****, go upstairs and do the dishes like your mother's been nagging you to do. Seriously, you really are a tool. From your consistently poor spelling and lack of grammar to your complete inability to substantiate anything you say, you strike me as a somewhat dimwitted kid who probably was rejected by Ohio State and now desperately clings to the one athletic program in the state that's giving them problems.

Go Blue!
        Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
          Then enlighten me. Just don't make uneducated and unsubstantiated drive-by flames.

Show me your figures and sources about all this money that you contend Miami's hockey program is generating. What is the program's p&l, and what are its specific revenue streams (i.e. ticket sales, media rights, donor contributions)?

Explain to me, with examples, how an athletic department really works. Apparently spending 3 dollars for every 1 dollar it generates is part of the equation, but I need a little help on the details.

Explain to us all how an athletic department that's already relying on university subsidies for 2/3 of its budget has this war chest to keep hockey at the top should Blasi leave.

Explain to me the fundamental differences between Miami's current riding of a hot young coach for a limited period of success and Bowling Green's doing the same 25 years ago. What are the exact details that makes Miami's success sustainable post-Blasi whereas Bowling Green's quickly evaporated in the wake of York's departure?

Please, do all of that for us unenlightened Buckeyes. Otherwise, just ****, go upstairs and do the dishes like your mother's been nagging you to do. Seriously, you really are a tool. From your consistently poor spelling and lack of grammar to your complete inability to substantiate anything you say, you strike me as a somewhat dimwitted kid who probably was rejected by Ohio State and now desperately clings to the one athletic program in the state that's giving them problems.

Go Blue!
          Thanks for the wonderful neg. rep you sent me lol, you should check your own spelling and grammar before going off on someone else. You don't deserve the time or day. Answser your own questions first if you want to make those claims. Pretty interesting how jealous of Miami's hockey program you are. Especially since you are a so called "ohio st fan" yet you seem to know all about Miami's financial situation. It's also hilarious how upset you get and lash out at everyone when you are on your own Island. I was actually accepted to Ohio st. but not Miami, academic standards are vastly different....But keep up the wonderful job you are doing here, tell Gene Smith I said hello....
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
            I was actually accepted to Ohio st. but not Miami, academic standards are vastly different....But keep up the wonderful job you are doing here, tell Gene Smith I said hello....
            Once again, you prove what a clueless, dimwitted and clearly lying little twit you really are. Here's some actual facts from the most recent freshmen classes at Ohio State and Miami, junior.

*All information taken from each school's most recent common data set.

Acceptance Rate
            Ohio State 56% Miami 78%

52% of Ohio State's freshmen class came from the top tenth of their high school class and 91% from the top quarter. For Miami, those numbers are 39% from the top tenth and 71% from the top quarter.

The middle 50% range on the ACT was 26-31 at Ohio State and 24-29 at Miami.

32% of Ohio State's freshmen class scored 30+ on the ACT. 18% of Miami's did.

6% of Ohio State's freshman class scored a 24 or below on the ACT. 25% of Miami's did.

As for knowing about the Miami athletic department's budget, it's public knowledge and easily accessible through the Indianapolis Star's online database. It's called "research" and "making sure one knows what he's talking about before clicking the keyboard." I suggest you try it some time, junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
              Once again, you prove what a clueless, dimwitted and clearly lying little twit you really are. Here's some actual facts from the most recent freshmen classes at Ohio State and Miami, junior.

*All information taken from each school's most recent common data set.

Acceptance Rate
              Ohio State 56% Miami 78%

52% of Ohio State's freshmen class came from the top tenth of their high school class and 91% from the top quarter. For Miami, those numbers are 39% from the top tenth and 71% from the top quarter.

The middle 50% range on the ACT was 26-31 at Ohio State and 24-29 at Miami.

32% of Ohio State's freshmen class scored 30+ on the ACT. 18% of Miami's did.

6% of Ohio State's freshman class scored a 24 or below on the ACT. 25% of Miami's did.

As for knowing about the Miami athletic department's budget, it's public knowledge and easily accessible through the Indianapolis Star's online database. It's called "research" and "making sure one knows what he's talking about before clicking the keyboard." I suggest you try it some time, junior.
              Sigh...here we go again. Talk about beating a dead horse, aren't there already 5 pages of this on another thread. We get it, OSU Grads are extremely proud of their diplomas, I'm sure with all of the money you guys have they were printed on very nice paper. No one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                Instead of this useless drivel about Miami and change in cushions in Gene Smith's office, let's talk candidates:

* Paul Pooley, OSU '84 - Head coach at Providence, assistant coach at LSSU in their heyday and Notre Dame currently. Friar fans didn't like him, but their program has gone right down the tubes since he left.

* Dave Smith, OSU '92 - Head coach at Canisius with previous assistant coaching experience at BG and MU. Might be a better fit than Pooley as he is younger.

* Casey Jones, Cornell '90 - Assistant at OSU for years and currently the associate coach at his alma mater. I'd have to assume he left to go to Cornell so he could be next in line in Ithaca, but I think Smith will give him a call.

* Steve Miller, St. Mary's '88 - Assistant at Denver for all 15 years of the Gwozdecky era and assisted Gwozdecky at Miami so he isn't solely a DU guy.

* Seth Appert, Ferris State '96- A young, energetic head coach at RPI with previous assistant coaching experience at national powerhouse Denver. Has recruited well, but has yet to get RPI over the hump.

* Guy Gadowsky, Colorado College '89 - Has been successful at Alaska-Fairbanks before moving onto Princeton, a team who had one of their best seasons in program history last year.

* Steve Rohlik, Wisconsin '90 - Played in the Big 10 for all those that think that is such a great thing and has assistant coaching experience in the CCHA and currently at Duluth.

* Wayne Wilson, BGSU '84 - Played at BG during their heyday and has been an extremely successful head coach at RIT.

* Ron Fogarty, Colgate '95 - The Adrian (D3) head coach has compiled a record of 77-8-1 in three seasons, but played his collegiate hockey at the Division I level and has assistant coaching experience at this level, including BGSU, Clarkson and Colgate - three teams with more hockey tradition than OSU. He will be picked up eventually to coach at this level. Would not be surprised if WMU considers him. The current Buckeye football coach has accomplished some decent things after coming from a lower level.

___

Responding to some of the previous thrown out ideas, no way Cavanaugh or Bavis leaves BC or BU, respectively. They are both alums with the inside track on the jobs with two legendary coaches close to retirement. Bavis is a BU alum and a local boy.

Regarding Blasi and MU assistants. Brekke is a Western Michigan guy who might be a candidate for the Broncos opening. Blasi and Bergeron are Miami alums. I'm not saying no one ever leaves their alma mater for greener pastures or more money, but I say there is ZERO chance Blasi leaves MU.

You also have to realize to many hockey insiders, OSU is not that good of a job. The program plays second fiddle on campus, pushed out of their home rink for a playoff series, etc.
                If you're gonna throw Gadowsky out there they you have to talk about Mike Shafer at Cornell. He's been in Ithaca for 15 years, has won a boat load of games, league titles and several NCAA appearances to show for it. Not much left to prove -- short of a NC. He does have three kids and I suppose he may not want to leave scenic SUNY Ithaca for the rust belt.

If OSU is serious about righting the ship, then they'll open the checkbook and reel in Fat Mike. He is a defensive mastermind and excels at recruiting big tall forwards from western Canada. Just a thought.
                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Wow! A dick-measuring contest to determine who is the best in Ohio! Its like trying to figure out who is the smartest ****** on the short bus.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Would Schafer bring Casey Jones back with him? Wouldn't that be a bite in the you-know-what. Move out there only to end up back here!
                    OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Wow! A dick-measuring contest to determine who is the best in Ohio! Its like trying to figure out who is the smartest ****** on the short bus.
                      Hey play nice, since I'm from Michigan I have a feeling that would be me for coming to this state .

Seriously though, until this week I was under the impression that no other schools in the state of Ohio gave two ****s about Miami and vice versa (I mean let's face it, 90% of Miami's student body are Ohio State fans for everything but hockey). Clearly there is some animosity I've missed during my three years here so I can tell you it is pretty one sided. You would think OSU has bigger fish to try then the little old college in Oxford.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        Hey play nice, since I'm from Michigan I have a feeling that would be me for coming to this state .

Seriously though, until this week I was under the impression that no other schools in the state of Ohio gave two ****s about Miami and vice versa (I mean let's face it, 90% of Miami's student body are Ohio State fans for everything but hockey). Clearly there is some animosity I've missed during my three years here so I can tell you it is pretty one sided. You would think OSU has bigger fish to try then the little old college in Oxford.
                        I imagine even their "hockey fans" would rather go watch an OSU football game than the hockey game. To me, that would be unthinkable.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                          Instead of this useless drivel about Miami and change in cushions in Gene Smith's office, let's talk candidates:

* Paul Pooley, OSU '84 - Head coach at Providence, assistant coach at LSSU in their heyday and Notre Dame currently. Friar fans didn't like him, but their program has gone right down the tubes since he left.

* Dave Smith, OSU '92 - Head coach at Canisius with previous assistant coaching experience at BG and MU. Might be a better fit than Pooley as he is younger.

* Casey Jones, Cornell '90 - Assistant at OSU for years and currently the associate coach at his alma mater. I'd have to assume he left to go to Cornell so he could be next in line in Ithaca, but I think Smith will give him a call.

* Steve Miller, St. Mary's '88 - Assistant at Denver for all 15 years of the Gwozdecky era and assisted Gwozdecky at Miami so he isn't solely a DU guy.

* Seth Appert, Ferris State '96- A young, energetic head coach at RPI with previous assistant coaching experience at national powerhouse Denver. Has recruited well, but has yet to get RPI over the hump.

* Guy Gadowsky, Colorado College '89 - Has been successful at Alaska-Fairbanks before moving onto Princeton, a team who had one of their best seasons in program history last year.

* Steve Rohlik, Wisconsin '90 - Played in the Big 10 for all those that think that is such a great thing and has assistant coaching experience in the CCHA and currently at Duluth.

* Wayne Wilson, BGSU '84 - Played at BG during their heyday and has been an extremely successful head coach at RIT.

* Ron Fogarty, Colgate '95 - The Adrian (D3) head coach has compiled a record of 77-8-1 in three seasons, but played his collegiate hockey at the Division I level and has assistant coaching experience at this level, including BGSU, Clarkson and Colgate - three teams with more hockey tradition than OSU. He will be picked up eventually to coach at this level. Would not be surprised if WMU considers him. The current Buckeye football coach has accomplished some decent things after coming from a lower level.

___

Responding to some of the previous thrown out ideas, no way Cavanaugh or Bavis leaves BC or BU, respectively. They are both alums with the inside track on the jobs with two legendary coaches close to retirement. Bavis is a BU alum and a local boy.

Regarding Blasi and MU assistants. Brekke is a Western Michigan guy who might be a candidate for the Broncos opening. Blasi and Bergeron are Miami alums. I'm not saying no one ever leaves their alma mater for greener pastures or more money, but I say there is ZERO chance Blasi leaves MU.

You also have to realize to many hockey insiders, OSU is not that good of a job. The program plays second fiddle on campus, pushed out of their home rink for a playoff series, etc.
                          The first guy on my list would be Mark Johnson.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I think Schafer from cornell, if hired at OSU, would be the nail in the Ohio State hockey coffin. Yes, hes a great recruiter and has had tremendous success in the ECAC, i just dont see the 10,000 fans a game everybody says we need to build a quality fan base, to come and watch paint dry. Cornell sells out every game because they have an enormous amount of tradition and quite frankly, there isn't much else to do in Ithaca. Their dump and trap, dump and trap style is painful to watch in person and maddening when trying to watch on tv. I tried watching the Cornell vs. Quinnipiac game on the NHL Network a few weeks back and couldn't make it through the first period. I feel this style of play would turn off any remaining fans they might still have.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23 View Post
                              I think Schafer from cornell, if hired at OSU, would be the nail in the Ohio State hockey coffin. Yes, hes a great recruiter and has had tremendous success in the ECAC, i just dont see the 10,000 fans a game everybody says we need to build a quality fan base, to come and watch paint dry. Cornell sells out every game because they have an enormous amount of tradition and quite frankly, there isn't much else to do in Ithaca. Their dump and trap, dump and trap style is painful to watch in person and maddening when trying to watch on tv. I tried watching the Cornell vs. Quinnipiac game on the NHL Network a few weeks back and couldn't make it through the first period. I feel this style of play would turn off any remaining fans they might still have.
                              Schafer's alma mater is Cornell. Don't expect him to go anywhere.
                              Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Wow! A dick-measuring contest to determine who is the best in Ohio!
                                Wright State. NEXT!

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X