Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
    FACT: The Dispatch and WBNS both reported OSU had trimmed the list to the top three, Cav, Oz and CJ.
    FACT: OSU was really negotiating with Gwoz, therefore we were lied too and the list was really Gwoz, then the next three.
    FACT: OSU & Gwoz coould't agree on terms so they they then offer the job to number 2 on the list, Osiecki. Jones therefore was three at best, as I said.
    I think you're playing a little fast and loose with the "FACTS."

A lot of this comes down to timing & he says, she says. There's way too much here that we don't know.

Gwoz tells Chambers on Monday that he's not a candidate. So at that point, to me, he's already made up his mind. He flies to Columbus on Wed. Perhaps to hear one last pitch and/or perhaps to put in the good word for Oz.

Perhaps DU matches Ohio States offer over the previous weekend (my guess). Obviously, Gwoz doesn't want to tell Ohio State that he's been shopping their offer around to gain leverage with DU.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
      But Casey didn't know if he was number 1 or number 4 on the list and the committee didn't know who was going to accept or not. When you interview for a job, you don't tell the candidates they are alternates and only have a chance if the top guy rejects the offer. What if you do that and #2-4 decide to take another offer or pull out of the interview. Then you're in trouble if you can't reach terms with #1. And by the way, when #2-4 pull out, #1 gains HUGE bargaining power. That's just basic business.

In theory, there are no clear #1-4 candidates, just an order for starting negotiations. Until you start talking deal structure, nobody knows what single non-negotiable element will move a candidate from #1 to #4.

For example, let's say Gwoz was #1. He was the one they wanted most, so they started with him. However, his demands couldn't be met. Had they then gone through each candidate and found their demands to match Gwoz's demands - Gwoz would again be #1. The final order of the list and who gets the job is highly dependent on what it takes to get each coach on the list. Every candidate has a price and that has to be figured into the final order of preference. You don't know that order until you get into contract dicussions. Oz was NOT a second choice, he was a first choice for what they were willing to pay.
      GREAT POST!
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Perhaps DU matches Ohio States offer over the previous weekend (my guess). Obviously, Gwoz doesn't want to tell Ohio State that he's been shopping their offer around to gain leverage with DU.
        I was thinking the same thing, that Gwozdecky was never really interested in leaving Denver for Ohio State. He was just using the OSU opening to get more money out of Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          I was thinking the same thing, that Gwozdecky was never really interested in leaving Denver for Ohio State. He was just using the OSU opening to get more money out of Denver.
          Oldest trick in the book. I remember when Shawn Walsh came out to Denver in 1990, impressed everyone and when DU was willing to give Walsh whatever he wanted, and Walsh then went back to Maine and got a similar deal from his current AD. In hindsight given Shawn's subsequent problems with the NCAA, I am glad we got Serratorre instead, but leverage is important and you can't be afraid to use it when you have it.

Comment

Gwoz is holding out for the UW job when Eaves leaves.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Gwoz is holding out for the UW job when Eaves leaves.
              He already turned the Badger job down when Eaves was hired. I think if Gwoz ever leaves DU its for the NHL and probably not until his daughter is at least in college. Just my 2 cents.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Hmmmm. Seems to me I'd heard that earlier in this thread...

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                I would guess he's using the interview at OSU for leverage and he will sign a revised contract with Denver at $300K+...
                And SOME respodants thought I was nuts.
                Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  He already turned the Badger job down when Eaves was hired. I think if Gwoz ever leaves DU its for the NHL and probably not until his daughter is at least in college. Just my 2 cents.
                  Yeah, Gwoz ain't goin' anywhere amongst the college ranks. If his alma mater wasn't going to do it (and I'm sure UW offered him a nice bit of change, too - which he certainly parlayed into a nice raise from DU), nothing will.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

USHR.com reported:

The three finalists were Osiecki, Boston College associate head coach Mike Cavanaugh, and Denver head coach George Gwozdecky. We're getting two different reports on Gwozdecky's not being hired, one indicating his price tag was too high -- even for OSU -- and the other saying that he slept on it, and decided to stick with Denver. More likely, it was some combination of the two. And, of course, there could well be reasons we may never know of.

Believe what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitchenhockeydad View Post
                      Not that I am promoting gambling, but what is everyone's guess on the "over/under" date for changing who the hockey coach is on the OSU website.

I guess officially Markell is still the coach through June 30th, so my guess is July 1.
                      I guess today

Comment

Rather than argue/complain/debate the past why not discuss next year and the excitement that it brings? I for one am excited just to see what the future holds for Ohio State hockey...

As a Buckeye, I am actually embarrassed by the woulda, shoulda, coulda's that I am seeing....

Go Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by ---- View Post
                          Rather than argue/complain/debate the past why not discuss next year and the excitement that it brings? I for one am excited just to see what the future holds for Ohio State hockey...

As a Buckeye, I am actually embarrassed by the woulda, shoulda, coulda's that I am seeing....

Go Bucks!
                          Why be embarrassed? Just because you don't agree with or like some of the things posted isn't justification to condemn it. There are places in the world yet where people disappear for speaking their minds. Never forget what a tremendous right we've been blessed with to have the freedom to speak out on anything and everything. If you see something here on forum that you don't think is valid and feel your position is solid then counter point them.

Comment

Nice article in the Dispatch today about Osiecki, glad he has decided to retain Steve Brent. Brent always seemed to be a good on the bench and will help with the transition, getting to know the team's abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
                              Nice article in the Dispatch today about Osiecki, glad he has decided to retain Steve Brent. Brent always seemed to be a good on the bench and will help with the transition, getting to know the team's abilities.
                              Read that article online, didn't see Brent mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                                He already turned the Badger job down when Eaves was hired.
                                The difference is when the UW job was open, the players weren't of the highest regards/quality, and it was a huge rebuilding project/mess, so Gwoz turned it down.

I could see Gwoz taking another look @ UW with a talent laden roster if/when Eaves leaves. Plus, if he applied @ a down-trodden program like OSU now, why wouldn't he apply @ UW in a few years? IMHO, the UW job is a more high profile job than DU's. Afterall, when you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X