Ohio State Next Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Our Philosophy is the same...view just differs.

Comment

[QUOTE=davyd83;4759681]There's a way to avoid that problem. Finish with a first round bye. OSU hockey has no one but itself to blame for that problem. You seem to be saying that the school should turn down the revenue from the state tourney just in case the hockey team has to play there.QUOTE]

I would counter that OSU hockey is not to blame for this but the athletic department is. I would indeed say the school should turn down the "extra" revenue based on ethics and your programs needs. OSU has an obligation to put it own athletic programs first and outside considerations second. Otherwise there would be no problem bumping any sport there to rent out their facilities to the highest offer if it suited them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        Another disadvantage the coach will have at OSU is how soon he can work with his team. Ohio State is still on the quarter system while most schools have long since gone over to semesters. It's several weeks later for a quarter school than a semester school that the coach is permitted to lead practice per NCAA rules. Now OSU has had the captains lead "informal" practices but when you are the new guy who has to retrain this bunch and break them of the bad habits of "Johnny hockey" and teach them his system that may not work well.
        DU is also on the quarter system, and I believe the NCAA rule is that coaches get up to 2 official hours with their team each week school is in session prior to official start of practice, which is usually around October 1 for Denver. Outside of these times, there are captain's practices between school starting and the first practice, and coaches can't attend those, but medical or strength coaches can be there.

Comment

I saw the e-mail that went out to the alumni about Pooley getting snubbed asking that those who felt the same to respectully protest to Gene Smith about it. I wonder if Jamie Macoun responded? Maybe they'd take a little more notice if someone complained who won the Stanley Cup twice. Water under the bridge now but again, big lack of respect by the AD's.

Comment

OSU will be going to the quarter system in 2012.
            'Must win? World War Two was a must win.' - Marv Levy

Comment

Originally posted by Bleachered View Post
              OSU will be going to the quarter system in 2012.
              You mean semester, right? They're currently on quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                DU is also on the quarter system, and I believe the NCAA rule is that coaches get up to 2 official hours with their team each week school is in session prior to official start of practice, which is usually around October 1 for Denver. Outside of these times, there are captain's practices between school starting and the first practice, and coaches can't attend those, but medical or strength coaches can be there.
                Not a lot of time. OSU's first game last season was Oct. 4th. The first this season though is Oct. 16th with the option yet of adding an exhibition game before that if the new coach feels so inclined.

Comment

Not a lot of time. OSU's first game last season was Oct. 4th. The first this season though is Oct. 16th with the option yet of adding an exhibition game before that if the new coach feels so inclined.
                  No, it's not a lot of time. And mid-terms and final exams appear sooner, and classes move faster becuase they are cramming 15 weeks worth of instruction into 10 weeks.

On the backside, the good part about the quarter system is that DU is on break from Thanksgiving to after New Years, so there is a good break without worrying about school and the fact that you are getting 1/3 more classes over your college career, so you can learn more and bad classes are over more quickly. I loved the quarter system.

Comment

I saw the e-mail that went out to the alumni about Pooley getting snubbed asking that those who felt the same to respectully protest to Gene Smith about it. I wonder if Jamie Macoun responded? Maybe they'd take a little more notice if someone complained who won the Stanley Cup twice. Water under the bridge now but again, big lack of respect by the AD's.
                    Sorry to keep coming back to this, but how is this a snub? Where do you draw the line? Dave Smith and Steve Brent presumably both applied as well - shouldn't they have both gotten interviews?

We sit and complain about how long the process took to hire a new coach but want to add interviews for people who the committee deemed not to be a good fit for what they were looking for. I have yet to hear that someone truly believes that this was the wrong hire - just that they should have had a token interview. Adding these three candidates would have added another week to the process. In reality they only had a small window to get this done after the Frozen Four and before Florida. It appears the review of resumes was very important to this process and they took that part seriously.

If they had gone out and hired a no name with questionable credentials I can understand the snub feeling, but when you read through Oz's credentials you can quickly see how the other resumes paled in comparison.

Curiously - how many believe Markell got snubbed at BG?
                    OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

I was hoping for a bigger splash (not a splash for the sake of a splash but because it would indicate the athletic department was serious about putting resources into the program) but am content with the hire.

I, for one, am glad that Glen Mason on ice got snubbed. I think I would rather have endured more of Markell than letting Markell go and bringing in Pooley. The only thing a sports fan has is hope. With Markell here there was always hope the administration would do the right thing and replace him with someone better. If they replaced him with Pooley, there would be no hope because it would indicate they either don't know what they are doing or don't care.

This feels better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post

I expected him to be the next coach, but without knowing all the details, you can't say that he was snubbed; same thing with Pooley. If you don't know all the details, then you can't say whether he was snubbed or not. I like to think not as he seems to be a good assistant, but not a real good head coach.

I had a football coach in high school that I really liked, along with everyone else, but it shocked me when he became head coach, and the program slipped quite a bit. Great guy, just not HC material, not everyone is.

Comment

I thought he would get that job. I know he interviewed and alumi up there are upset that neither of the 2 bg people didnt get that job.

Comment

You mean semester, right? They're currently on quarters.
                            Yes

*headslap*
                            'Must win? World War Two was a must win.' - Marv Levy

Comment

Sorry to keep coming back to this, but how is this a snub? Where do you draw the line? Dave Smith and Steve Brent presumably both applied as well - shouldn't they have both gotten interviews?

We sit and complain about how long the process took to hire a new coach but want to add interviews for people who the committee deemed not to be a good fit for what they were looking for. I have yet to hear that someone truly believes that this was the wrong hire - just that they should have had a token interview. Adding these three candidates would have added another week to the process. In reality they only had a small window to get this done after the Frozen Four and before Florida. It appears the review of resumes was very important to this process and they took that part seriously.

If they had gone out and hired a no name with questionable credentials I can understand the snub feeling, but when you read through Oz's credentials you can quickly see how the other resumes paled in comparison.

I would say it's a snub as Pooley's credential's are worthy of a interview and all the alumni I've talked to who have stood by the program when the average joe couldn't be bribed back to a game with even "buck a brat" night feel this way and a number of them played pro. Now personally I'm not by any means saying this isn't a good hire and I'm looking forward with great interest to see what he can do. But Ohio State plays favorites. Archie got the cherry gig after he was done with football. He stunk in the pros but he brought in money because he was associated with the cash cow of football. Pooley did just as well in his sport when he played at OSU but no one cares because it's hockey. Nobody outside our circle has a clue who he is. As far as OSU has been concerned our sport is the little blood sucking flea on the back of the big dog of football. Now the Pooley debate aside is OSU really going to do enough to back hockey and make it a strong contender beyond just hiring a new coach? Historically their pattern of attitude towards it says no but only time will tell. The university can only benefit by hockey becoming much more than it has been up to this point. God forbid the program becomes successful to the point where it actually makes money!
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-26-2010, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Snubs? How about telling Cassey he was in the top three, when in reality he was number three-at best. Gwoz was #1, Oz at #2, then CJ and Cav. Or Cav and CJ. Cav was probably #3 with Casey as the fail-safe if the first three didn't workout for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X