Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread. Do we need one? Oops, here we go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread. Do we need one? Oops, here we go.

Originally posted by BeaverFan View Post
    Channing Boe, Zach Lehrke, Joe Schiller.. just to name a few playing for the Mavs.
    That's pretty much my point--minus Lehrke, since the jury is still out on him.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      That's pretty much my point--minus Lehrke, since the jury is still out on him.
      IMO, Lehrke is a great recruit for the Mavs. His brother Tyler was a very good player for the Beavers.
      Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
      THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

Jokinen, Peterson, and the ones already listed? Seriously, you want to write off northern Minnesota?
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          Jokinen, Peterson, and the ones already listed? Seriously, you want to write off northern Minnesota?
          Peterson barely counts since Mankato is about twice as close to ER as Bemidji is.

Regardless, all those guys combined for six goals last year, or about 5.45% of the team's total offense. If college hockey had a VORP rating like baseball, none of those guys would be tearing it up. I hope those guys make me look dumb this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

I could only find two Minnesotans that grew up closer to Bemidji than Mankato and scored more than 5 goals in one season for the Mavs since they joined the WCHA: Steve Wagner, who was pretty awesome, and Jake Brenk, who was a huge bust, but somehow managed six goals his senior year.

Anybody that good from that area was already a lock to go to North Dakota or Minnesota, or Duluth, or St. Cloud anyway. And there's just not that much depth up there anymore due to the population declining, and for better or worse, the game being dominated by Twin Cities kids that can afford expensive personalized training.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            Peterson barely counts since Mankato is about twice as close to ER as Bemidji is.

Regardless, all those guys combined for six goals last year, or about 5.45% of the team's total offense. If college hockey had a VORP rating like baseball, none of those guys would be tearing it up. I hope those guys make me look dumb this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

I could only find two Minnesotans that grew up closer to Bemidji than Mankato and scored more than 5 goals in one season for the Mavs since they joined the WCHA: Steve Wagner, who was pretty awesome, and Jake Brenk, who was a huge bust, but somehow managed six goals his senior year.

Anybody that good from that area was already a lock to go to North Dakota or Minnesota, or Duluth, or St. Cloud anyway. And there's just not that much depth up there anymore due to the population declining, and for better or worse, the game being dominated by Twin Cities kids that can afford expensive personalized training.
            I hope you're right; you make a good argument.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Yeah, Warroad, Roseau, Duluth East and Moorhead are really the only schools up there that still produce quite a few quality players. Hibbing, Greenway, International Falls, etc. just can't sustain it anymore. Grand Rapids is in between those groups a bit.

The only school that really seems to be trending upwards is Hermantown, and I don't think many of them would end up in Mankato or Bemidji.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Yeah, Warroad, Roseau, Duluth East and Moorhead are really the only schools up there that still produce quite a few quality players. Hibbing, Greenway, International Falls, etc. just can't sustain it anymore. Grand Rapids is in between those groups a bit.

The only school that really seems to be trending upwards is Hermantown, and I don't think many of them would end up in Mankato or Bemidji.
                They still play good hockey and other schools still produce good players, just not at the rate they use too. There isn't a team in the WCHA who won't love to have Drew Leblanc and last I checked he is from Hermantown. There are also many other examples of good players from that region. If Mankato can land them is another story.....
                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Did the land cows have a hockey booster party Saturday night?

http://www.startribune.com/local/101...7PQLanchO7DiUr
                  "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                  Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                  The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                  Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                    Did the land cows have a hockey booster party Saturday night?

http://www.startribune.com/local/101...7PQLanchO7DiUr
                    Meh. His BAC would be double in that event.
                    Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
                    Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Zach Harrison signs with Elmira of the ECHL. http://mavink.blogspot.com/2010/08/linkorama-time.html

Comment

NMU Football travels to Mankato this Thursday to take on the Landcows.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Only three weeks until the exhibition opener against British Columbia. Season tickets should be arriving in the mail any day. Time to drop the puck is just around the corner!

Comment

Mavericks announce team captains for 2010-11.
                            http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...921101712.aspx

Comment

I just lost a bet... I bet my buddy there wouldn't be more than 88 people who gave a crap about Mankato State Hockey... dammit...
                              "When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back." -- Herb Brooks

Comment

Attended USCHO showcase last week, was told by people that Berge's younger brother and Mankato have parted ways. Multiple coaches in both WCHA and CCHA were contacting his junior coaches wondering if it was true. Confirmed this week by reporter in Lincoln paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X