No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

From @JulieRobenhymer
    *****http://imgur.com/PUp8Rl.jpg******
    Notre Dame Hockey
    Reigning Big Ten Champions
    Reigning CCHA Champions
    Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
      Great move by Cam Fowler. Jobbing Notre Dame really paid off on the draft.
      As much as I'd love to pile on here, coming to Notre Dame didn't work out too well for Sheahan either. Fowler was 3rd in the preseason NHL CSS ratings, and Sheahan was fifth.
      Notre Dame Hockey
      Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
        Great move by Cam Fowler. Jobbing Notre Dame really paid off on the draft.
        I'm not sure I even understand the sentiment behind this post. Would it have been better to see Fowler at Notre Dame, even though he was conflicted about college to begin with and had feelings all along that he didn't need the different opportunities that Notre Dame would provide? I posted long ago that I don't want anyone on my team that isn't completely d a m n sure they want to be here. We had more than enough of that last season. And to be honest, I'm not sure Fowler possessed the emotional maturity to deal with the rigors of the student part of student-athlete. Not a recipe for success when Notre Dame is your choice for an NCAA destination. As for his draft stock falling -- if that is your point -- he did manage to be picked pretty early, even if he fell a few spots. Drafts and pre-season rankings are hardly exact sciences. A year ago I think the consensus for Fowler by most analysis I saw was somewhere early in the first round. I would say first half of the first round qualifies.

Congrats to Riley Sheahan and Jarred Tinordi. Can you imagine seeing those two trees skating around the ice at the same time? Trying to create time and space against them will hopefully be difficult.

Comment

In listening to Tinordi's interview on my XM radio yesterday, it doesn't sound like Notre Dame is a done deal. He basically said that he will do what Montreal tells him, etc

Comment

Chicago Blackhawks select Stephen Johns 60th overall
            Notre Dame Hockey
            Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Is Jackson the only college coach at the draft? I think he has been attending the last few years, watching his recruited players like a hawk, trying to shield them from the major juniors.

Comment

Brian Rust goes 80th to the Pens and Kevin Lind goes in the 6th round to the Ducks.

I would doubt that Coach Jackson is the only college coach there, considering he seems more "okay" with players leaving school early to go pro than some coaches (Coach Berenson springs to mind...).
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                  ...The known dates are in bold. The educated guesses in italics. If anyone has a more educated guess, feel free to alter this...

October:
                  8 Icebreaker Tourney vs. Holy Cross in St. Louis
                  10 Icebreaker Tourney vs. BU/UW in St. Louis
                  14-15 LSSU

22-23 ? (the only thing I can come up with is an OOC opponent at home although WMU is also available)
                  29-30 WMU (I'm guessing home Friday, away Saturday due to FB)

November:
                  5-6 @ BG
                  12-13 @ Michigan

19-20 MSU
                  26-27 @ NoDak

December:
                  3-4 @ Miami
                  10-11 NMU
                  29 Canisius

January:
                  1 Shillelagh Tourney vs. Brown
                  2 Shillelagh Tourney vs. BU/MSU-Mankato
                  7-8 @ NMU
                  14-15 UA(F)

21-22 @ OSU
                  28-29 Miami

February:
                  4-5 bye (or maybe even the USNTDP boys)
                  11-12 BG
                  18-19 @ FSU
                  25-26 WMU
                  (again, I'm guessing away Friday, home Saturday)
                  Note the mid-week post-Xmas pre-Shilellagh Tourney date. Never expected that one...

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

This thread needs more vuvuzela.
                    Last edited by Fan Forum Moderator; 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM. Reason: Remove embedded audio

Comment

Okay, the Cubs just blow. 9 runs in one inning...and 8--eight--of them unearned?!

So I was thinking that with Canisius coming in to South Bend for one game, that means ND has only one other game to schedule (unless they also play a game against the USNDTP which counts as an exhibition). Makes me wonder if BC is coming into town in October. ND went out there 2 times in a row. Why couldn't they come here 2 times in a row?

Just speculatin'.

Comment

Okay, the Cubs just blow. 9 runs in one inning...and 8--eight--of them unearned?!

So I was thinking that with Canisius coming in to South Bend for one game, that means ND has only one other game to schedule (unless they also play a game against the USNDTP which counts as an exhibition). Makes me wonder if BC is coming into town in October. ND went out there 2 times in a row. Why couldn't they come here 2 times in a row?

Just speculatin'.
                        I think the game in December with Canisius has as much to do with Jackson not wanting a 3 week break between games as much as it does getting to the max allowable games. This will help keep the team focused over the break, something that has been a problem.

Comment

Brett Lebda joins fellow alum Christian Hanson on the Maple Leafs.

The Toronto Maple Leafs signed unrestricted free agent defenceman Brett Lebda to a two-year contract Wednesday.

The 28-year-old native of Buffalo Grove, Ill., recorded one goal and seven assists in 63 games with the Detroit Red Wings last season.

Lebda, a five-foot-nine 195-pounder, has 68 points (18-50) and 201 penalty minutes in 326 career regular season games, all with Detroit.

He has 10 assists and 40 penalty minutes in 62 career playoff games.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

News of Riley Sheahan at Wings camp popping up on various Detroit media. Here's one with accompanying video.

Sort of wondering why no one is commenting on the word that Palmieri has reportedly not been kicked out of school or off the hockey team (yet). I posted a few times that as last season wore on I was less than happy with the way the coaching staff had been handling the numerous issues the team faced. Either way I just hope they know what they are doing with this one.

We still will have to wait (likely until the beginning of the season) to find out what kind of discipline Jackson believes is warranted for both Sheahan and Palmieri. I'm not opposed to second chances, but not a fan of 4th and 5th chances.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                              Sort of wondering why no one is commenting on the word that Palmieri has reportedly not been kicked out of school or off the hockey team (yet). I posted a few times that as last season wore on I was less than happy with the way the coaching staff had been handling the numerous issues the team faced. Either way I just hope they know what they are doing with this one.

We still will have to wait (likely until the beginning of the season) to find out what kind of discipline Jackson believes is warranted for both Sheahan and Palmieri. I'm not opposed to second chances, but not a fan of 4th and 5th chances.
                              I'm going out on a short limb and guessing Riley Sheahan is benched for the opening weekend. If Kyle Palmieri doesn't leave school and is not kicked off the team, I'm guessing he's not dressing for the first month anyway.

That would be my punishment. Keep in mind I taught alternative ed and in all my years gave an inch only twice that both times turned into a mile, so I'm not prone to being lenient. (One of those students eventually straightened out and graduated, the other is locked up.) While Palmieri seems to have the contrition down pat, I'm an unusually good judge of character and there's something about him that doesn't fit a Jeff Jackson-led team.

Comment

October:
                                8 Icebreaker Tourney vs. Holy Cross in St. Louis
                                10 Icebreaker Tourney vs. BU/UW in St. Louis
                                14-15 LSSU

22-23 ? (the only thing I can come up with is an OOC opponent for one game at home)
                                29-30 WMU (I'm guessing home Friday, away Saturday due to FB)

November:
                                5-6 @ BG
                                12-13 @ Michigan

19-20 MSU
                                26-27 @ NoDak

December:
                                3-4 @ Miami
                                10-11 NMU
                                29 Canisius

January:
                                1 Shillelagh Tourney vs. Brown
                                2 Shillelagh Tourney vs. BU/MSU-Mankato
                                7-8 @ NMU
                                14-15 UA(F)

21-22 @ OSU
                                28-29 Miami

February:
                                4-5 bye (or maybe even the USNTDP boys)
                                11-12 BG
                                18-19 @ FSU
                                25-26 WMU
                                (again, I'm guessing away Friday, home Saturday)
                                This should be it now. Not sure about the home-and-homes though. And it's still unknown who the OOC opponent in October is. I'm still guessing BC.
                                Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X