No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

It's March 15th, 2010. The Ides of March. The day Julius Caesar was ambushed. Et tu, Ohio State?

In honor of this date, I started pondering about this past season. Hence the "I'd"...

I'd have loved to see what could have been with the talent on this team. I'd love to be making my reservations for the league tourney. I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall of the bus coming home from Columbus. I'd love to be inside Coach Jackson's brain right about now. I'd love the opportunity to watch the guys paint the first layer of ice before the final layer goes up in the new rink. I'd love Notre Dame to bounce back in stellar fashion next season.

While I'm still in...shock, I guess...I believe things happen for a reason. I'm hopeful for next season. We're supposed to go to NoDak. BU is supposed to come west. ND will be in the Ohio cluster with BG, OSU and Miami, all games that can be pretty easily travelled to. Already we have the makings for a magical season.

In the coming months, we can ponder about the schedule, the guys who will wear the letters on their jerseys, the OOC opponents, the guys who will have breakout seasons, the goalie conundrum. For now, I'm okay sitting here licking my wounds and cheering on some other teams for their magical seasons.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    While I'm still in...shock, I guess...I believe things happen for a reason. I'm hopeful for next season. We're supposed to go to NoDak. BU is supposed to come west. ND will be in the Ohio cluster with BG, OSU and Miami, all games that can be pretty easily travelled to. Already we have the makings for a magical season.
    Quick question, how will the clusters work with 11 teams? Or is the CCHA getting rid of them until a 12th is found?

Comment

Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

I am still thinking that UAH joining the CCHA is not totally dead. They did have some support. Maybe when they beat Miami in the NCAA first round.....they will be admitted

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
        Quick question, how will the clusters work with 11 teams? Or is the CCHA getting rid of them until a 12th is found?
        Just realized that mistake. Clusters are sort of out the window if the league stays at 11. However, I am in the same UAH-coming-to-the-CCHA camp as Sugarisland.

I've seen the ideas for scheduling for the 11 teams and it would take something like multiple seasons before each team could see all the other teams at home. I don't know about you, but I don't think ticket sales will be helped, anywhere, if Michigan doesn't come to your barn for 4 or 5 years.

Carry on.
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

When we did it a decade ago with 11 teams, everyone played each other 3 times for a total of 30 CCHA games. The Alaska series' were either all at home or all in Fairbanks in a 3-day series, obviously.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

http://chicagowolves.com/releases/18...mes-blatchford

Comment

and another...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=27088

...maybe.
              Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

interesting things are in the offing for this team. I think all the faces missing from your media guide next season may not be just those who graduated (or left early to pursue a pro career). One of the things that has made Jeff Jackson so successful as a coach is he believes in learning throughout your career (and your life for that matter) and I believe he learned a thing or two about the 21st century college hockey player. He not only wants the players striving to improve, he expects it of his coaches and of his own coaching. He will do better next season.

Comment

The latest on Cole working to get his academics in order....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...5&blogger_id=5

Comment

Many of you posting in/reading this thread possibly already read this, but I thought I'd link it anyway.

I found this little nugget particularly telling:

Originally posted by Steve Lowe
                    “There was some individualism and selfishness, and there was a sense of entitlement early on,” Jackson said. “A number of guys expected to have a career year, and struggled because of that. When you're playing individualistic, it's going to have an impact on your team.”
                    Feel free to make wild, unfair, or perhaps completely accurate assumptions as to what player or players he is referring to.

FWIW, I've had a couple of conversations with a number of players, both guys coming back and guys who are done (not Cole) and I believe the rebuild has already begun.

Comment

If Cole leaves ND they are going to lose a team leader who is disciplined on and off the ice, who expects the same of his teammates, and plays to win. This is one core guy who is needed next year. It must have been a drag of a year for Cole to come back and have some teammates not willing to do whatever it takes to make another run for a NCAA Championship. Seems like Jackson might be blaming himself for not keeping some of his troops in line. Hence, his own recommitment to the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by icevision View Post
                        If Cole leaves...
                        It isn't a question of if any longer. The official announcement by either Cole or the university is just a formality. The more I learn about this situation the more I am convinced Ian was the least of Notre Dame's woes this season. And FWIW, I also hope when the time comes, Notre Dame will treat his entry into the world of pro hockey as they do with any of their players who have exhausted the eligibility and have/are going to graduate. I feel stupid now for a few of the posts I've made about him in the past (not that in the vacuum of the "game" some of his play on the ice didn't necessarily warrant it, I think it clearly did) but when I say this guy is so much better than a hockey player, it is meant as the highest compliment.

Seems like Jackson might be blaming himself for not keeping some of his troops in line. Hence, his own recommitment to the basics.
                        Expect a completely different mind-set when it comes to team leadership next season. Jackson impresses me with his own desire to grow as much as anything else. He isn't spending the majority of his time blaming players,a couple of media quotes notwithstanding. He's looking at what HE needs to do first. And that's exactly what the head coach should be doing. 2009/2010 is over and I have to say I feel much better heading into the off-season than I did 2 weeks ago.

Comment

And now it is official. Ian Cole signs his professional contract. Good luck to him and here's to seeing him in the NHL sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            but when I say this guy is so much better than a hockey player, it is meant as the highest compliment.

Expect a completely different mind-set when it comes to team leadership next season. Jackson impresses me with his own desire to grow as much as anything else. He isn't spending the majority of his time blaming players,a couple of media quotes notwithstanding. He's looking at what HE needs to do first. And that's exactly what the head coach should be doing. 2009/2010is over and I have to say I feel much better heading into the off-season than I did 2 weeks ago.
                            I am interested in what you know and who you have talked to. It sounds as though you had some conversations with people who know much more than we do.

I think Cole is going to be a great pro. I thought he was great for ND... at times. I also think he has the type of skill that needs a faster game. Once he gets use to the speed of the pro game he will take off like a rocket and be a regular on the Blues blue line. Good luck to him!

Comment

http://fearthetriangle.com/2010/03/22/teglia-commits/

http://collegehockey247.rivals.com/c...sp?CID=1051483

Goalie Teglia of Omaha commits to UMass. It was reported that he was being recruited by Notre Dame and Notre Dame was his dream school.

Comment

Working...
                              X