No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    Christian Hanson--smiley--heart--had 31 points in 38 games with the Marlies and 4 points in 30 games with the Maple Leafs. He surpassed his dad in games played and points scored in the NHL. I'd be willing to bet Dave Hanson is happy about that fact.
    Christian hasn't scored all season, but has two tonight in the Leafs' final game of the season. His second was a shorty that tied it 3-3 against Montreal.

UPDATE: And gets an assist on Phaneuf's winner in OT.
    Last edited by SteveP; 04-10-2010, 08:46 PM.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      Christian hasn't scored all season, but has two tonight in the Leafs' final game of the season. His second was a shorty that tied it 3-3 against Montreal.

UPDATE: And gets an assist on Phaneuf's winner in OT.
      You beat me to the punch! He waited til the last game of the season, and not only registered the above 3 points, but was the only Leaf to get a star tonight...the #1 star! His Leafs blog will have to be updated to include the 2nd goal though (maybe even the GW assist...). On a side note, he gives Hot Tub Time Machine a thumbs up.

On a FF side note: 1951, 1958 and this year's FF are the only ones to have all 3 of the Final/Frozen Four games won by blowouts (my definition of a blowout is a 4+ goal differential) (I don't count the 3rd place games either). Not a common occurrence, thankfully.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Good luck to Teddy Ruth..signed with Columbus on Monday...

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=525145&navid=DL|CBJ|home

Comment

That one surprised me. Good luck to him. (Edit: I will add that this was an odd time to go given that Columbus, Syracuse, Springfield and Gwinnett, I believe, are all out of the playoffs, so what will he do in the meantime?)

Now we can start speculating on next year's captains...
          Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Can you say rats and congrats in the same sentence? From start to finish, this year, Teddy was my favorite player. I know there will always be another favorite, but gosh I'm going to miss him. Good luck.
            Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
            Courage to change the things I can,
            And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Ian Cole leaving was expected. Ruth was not. There was little indication (at least as far as I knew) he was going to forgo his final season. This team is going to look mighty different next season. Wonder if there are any other players who are planning on bailing out...

Comment

Interesting... Christian Hanson gets to add playing for the US on his resume.

Comment

A little cleanup to gather all the latest articles on the new building.

What were the five building projects that these two articles refer to? (and a nit with the "journalists" who wrote the articles, shouldn't you have asked?). Obviously here, but what of the other 4? Taffy Abel at Lake State is one, I know. But was USA hockey in Ann Arbor another? Or his stint in the OHL? I know it wasn't during his brief time on Long Island in the NHL.

I hope as the curtain comes down on Notre Dame hockey at the Joyce Center the team will play out the final 20 or so games our old barn will see with a renewed sense of purpose. I'm sure the New York Yankees loved welcoming their new home by winning their 27th World Series in it, but I also know they were pretty disappointed they left their old building missing the post season for the first time since 1995. I hope they see this final season as a culmination and not a transition. Think how great it would be to raise the only banner they haven't yet been able to raise before they play their first game in Lefty's Rink. Now THAT would be the way to christen what Jackson has called the final piece of the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    What were the five building projects that these two articles refer to? (and a nit with the "journalists" who wrote the articles, shouldn't you have asked?). Obviously here, but what of the other 4? Taffy Abel at Lake State is one, I know. But was USA hockey in Ann Arbor another? Or his stint in the OHL? I know it wasn't during his brief time on Long Island in the NHL.
                    The Observer says it was only three.
                    http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/sports/...gram-1.1349200
                    Notre Dame Hockey
                    Reigning Big Ten Champions
                    Reigning CCHA Champions
                    Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

ND Hockey faithful insight

Hey there, Irish Hockey fandom. So, there has been some discussion over at tOSU thread(s) about the quest for a new coach. Paul Pooley's name has come up fairly often as a 'possible/hoped for/not a good choice/yeah but he is an OSU alum so it makes perfect sense/he sucked at PC so why would we want him/he's learned from one of the best coaches in the college game - something must have rubbed off' candidate for the head coaching position (depending on who's doing the posting). I'd be interested to hear what folks who have followed him at ND have to say about him. Thanks in advance for your perspective(s).

PS - sorry for the run-on sentence (but not too sorry)
                      Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

The floor plan is out for Lefty's Rink
                        Hosted by imgur.com
                        http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1076076
                        Notre Dame Hockey
                        Reigning Big Ten Champions
                        Reigning CCHA Champions
                        Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

every time I read one of Jackson's quotes regarding Swarbrick and his vision about the new rink it seems to me that it is a poorly camouflaged swipe at Kevin White. I have no idea if that is true, it is just what I read into it with my bias. I do know that shortly before the announcement was made that the project had morphed into a new building as opposed to renovating the north dome Jackson had a "discussion" with the athletic department over a number of issues regarding what had been promised to him, as well as what he in turn was promising recruits he was talking with. Kevin White completely lacked a proactive attitude. Had he not run off to Duke (where I hope he is getting no credit for the first Blue Devil basketball title since 2001 as he deserves none) I believe the rink project would still be a renovation, would possibly not be finalized, we would still be saddled with Weis, and we would be close to losing Jackson. I like this alternative.
                          Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 04-19-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Re: ND Hockey faithful insight

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                            Hey there, Irish Hockey fandom. So, there has been some discussion over at tOSU thread(s) about the quest for a new coach. Paul Pooley's name has come up fairly often as a 'possible/hoped for/not a good choice/yeah but he is an OSU alum so it makes perfect sense/he sucked at PC so why would we want him/he's learned from one of the best coaches in the college game - something must have rubbed off' candidate for the head coaching position (depending on who's doing the posting). I'd be interested to hear what folks who have followed him at ND have to say about him. Thanks in advance for your perspective(s).

PS - sorry for the run-on sentence (but not too sorry)
                            Pooley's an outstanding assistant; I believe he's responsible for the special teams, which have been almost universally excellent. I'm not sure he's cut out to be a head coach, though Armey's performance at PC must also make one question whether that job is even a reasonable one.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              Pooley's an outstanding assistant; I believe he's responsible for the special teams, which have been almost universally excellent. I'm not sure he's cut out to be a head coach, though Armey's performance at PC must also make one question whether that job is even a reasonable one.
                              Thanks CP. Specifics on why you are not convinced he's cut out to be a head coach? Is it primarily based on his performance at PC? I have heard widely divergent feedback on Pooley's time at Providence. Fans (non-coaches as least) consider him ineffective, while several coaches I spoke with are quite positive about his abilities and are impressed he was able to accomplish what he did there given it was a dinky Christian school with a poor reputation competing for recruits with Harvard, BC, BU, Northeastern, etc.
                              Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                                Thanks CP. Specifics on why you are not convinced he's cut out to be a head coach? Is it primarily based on his performance at PC?
                                Based purely on PC fans' dissatisfaction with his performance at PC (not just in terms of results, but also in terms of the way the team played... CF Jon's "dump and watch"). And as I observed, it looks like he hit a high point for the program (subsequent to the mid-'80's), so maybe that's not nearly as indicative as it appeared at the time.
                                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
                                X