X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont vs. Boston College - HEA Semifinals - 3/19 TD Garden

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    FiveHole, you copped out! That's not a prediction
    Perhaps not a prediction, but what I believe is an accurate, odjective assessment of both teams - thanks FiveHole.
    Anyway, I want to wish all a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

May God grant you always...
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.

Let's hope for a well-played game on Friday night.
    GaryH - UVM Class of '73
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      Here's my take on Friday's game...

Boston College: This isn't the same BC team Vermont saw last fall. The frosh are now seasoned and scoring is pretty much spread across 4 lines, and all 4 lines can certainly fly. UVM will have a hard time with BC's depth at forward, as they can wear you down cycling and with speed and intensity.
      It’s what did UMass in last week… their top 2 lines and D pairings got an awful lot of ice time and just couldn’t keep up over 60 minutes.

The D has me a little bit worried (including ‘team D’). They progressed so well over the season but didn’t have great series’s against UNH or UMass last weekend. Some bad turnovers and poor decisions with the puck in our zone could have been more costly than they were. They threw an awful lot of pucks into traffic when we had an open man on the far backside of the net with no pressure that way. I’m sure the coaching staff will have that straightened out this week.

Goaltending… No worries.

Vermont: What can you say about a team with their backs to the wall, in hostile territory, on the big sheet, and holding one of Hockey East’s top offensive teams to goose eggs two nights in a row to take the series?!!!! That’s pretty darn impressive stuff right there.

I didn’t see the games but can guess they did a great job of filling passing lanes and keeping UNH out on the perimeter. I heard the last 20 minutes or so of the final game and sounded like Madore was on his game. If VT can shut down UNH like that they can certainly do the same to BC (as they have shown already in 2 of 3 meetings).

Look out for a kid like McCarthy. He’s had some big games already against us, which always seems to be the case when a kid is recruited and then is playing for another team. The Eagles had better be paying attention when he’s on the ice.

Prediction: Vermont will certainly hit BC every chance they get to take them off their game and wear them down. BC is a far better team when they hit than when they try to just out-talent an opponent. Their speed is far more dangerous when they’re hitting. The team that wins the physical battle will win this game. That’s my 2 cents.
      I predict

BC 4 UVM 2

Maine 3 BU 2
      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

I have a very strong, bizarre feeling that the BU/Maine game will go into OT.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          i don't............Terriers rather easily, 6-2?? but i hope you're right

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Bunyon is ok? He, more than any ref in the league, can influence an outcome by making one huge call (usually a ridiculous major penalty call).

To me, I'd still rather see Benedetto and Gravallese like we did in the Beanpot final.
            I agree, I cringe everytime I see Bunyon on the ice. He seems to make the most ridiculous call at random times. He can go the whole game barely blowing the whistle and then call the most marginal calls just as a team is picking up momentum. I really wish that guy would hang up the skates.
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              Here's my take on Friday's game...

Boston College: This isn't the same BC team Vermont saw last fall. The frosh are now seasoned and scoring is pretty much spread across 4 lines, and all 4 lines can certainly fly. UVM will have a hard time with BC's depth at forward, as they can wear you down cycling and with speed and intensity.
              It’s what did UMass in last week… their top 2 lines and D pairings got an awful lot of ice time and just couldn’t keep up over 60 minutes.

The D has me a little bit worried (including ‘team D’). They progressed so well over the season but didn’t have great series’s against UNH or UMass last weekend. Some bad turnovers and poor decisions with the puck in our zone could have been more costly than they were. They threw an awful lot of pucks into traffic when we had an open man on the far backside of the net with no pressure that way. I’m sure the coaching staff will have that straightened out this week.

Goaltending… No worries.

Vermont: What can you say about a team with their backs to the wall, in hostile territory, on the big sheet, and holding one of Hockey East’s top offensive teams to goose eggs two nights in a row to take the series?!!!! That’s pretty darn impressive stuff right there.

I didn’t see the games but can guess they did a great job of filling passing lanes and keeping UNH out on the perimeter. I heard the last 20 minutes or so of the final game and sounded like Madore was on his game. If VT can shut down UNH like that they can certainly do the same to BC (as they have shown already in 2 of 3 meetings).

Look out for a kid like McCarthy. He’s had some big games already against us, which always seems to be the case when a kid is recruited and then is playing for another team. The Eagles had better be paying attention when he’s on the ice.

Prediction: Vermont will certainly hit BC every chance they get to take them off their game and wear them down. BC is a far better team when they hit than when they try to just out-talent an opponent. Their speed is far more dangerous when they’re hitting. The team that wins the physical battle will win this game. That’s my 2 cents.
              Great analysis.

A few comments, UMA relied heavily on their top two lines as well and especially the Wellman - Marcou line in their games against UVM and I expect all year. Sneddon plays all 4 lines almost equally. UVM has good depth, both of the goals in the final 2 UNH games were form the 3rd/4th lines. Wearing VT down won't be easy, the d-men are big guys and I expect to see all 4 lines spread out pretty equally. I think BC needs to try and avoid a hitting game and concentrate on using their speed and skill. But that's my two cents. I think they are a better team in terms of speed and transition and as a whole are more skilled. They should try and play to the strengths.

For Vermont it really comes down to how Madore plays. If he plays like he did in NH for Games 2 and 3 it won't matter what BC does. If he plays like he did in Game 1 they may as well chalk it up after the first period and let the BU / ME boys have the ice early. Obviously the Cats can get in to the NCAA with help if they lose, but they will want this game bad. A win will almost ensure them a trip. They need to play with that mentality that its over if they lose. Their keys are staying out of the penalty box, especially Irwin and Cullity. And then firing a ton of shots on net like they did at UNH. That has been something that has changed over the past few weeks, the sweet play has been shelved and they are putting pucks on net and looking for rebounds. They need to continue to shoot shoot shoot. The D needs to play big and play hard. I agree very much with the hitting aspect of the game as a key for UVM. They need to use their size and make the BC forwards pay for the puck time.

I still think UVM can win this and it will not be a stretch. Doesn't mean they will but they have all the guys they need to advance to the Finals.

Given UVM's recent success against BU and failure against UME, well.....Go Terriers.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                That wont bother Vermont fans this time as we will have already left the building to go watch the b-ball game. I am so glad we dont have the second game again after what UNH and BC did 2 years ago.
                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

The officials made that one go about a half hour longer than it needed to, but the correct result happened.

I was really impressed with the UVM fan turnout at the Garden two years ago, so I'm kind of upset that there's basketball. I assume the turnout won't be as good this time.
                  BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                  -
                  Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

BC's defense and goaltender are much better than UNH's. That being said, UVM mustered just 2 combined goals in their wins on the big sheet at UNH. I can't see UVM scoring more than 2 goals on Friday and can't see BC scoring less than 3.

BC 4, UVM 1

BU 3, Maine 2

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                      BC's defense and goaltender are much better than UNH's. That being said, UVM mustered just 2 combined goals in their wins on the big sheet at UNH. I can't see UVM scoring more than 2 goals on Friday and can't see BC scoring less than 3.

BC 4, UVM 1

BU 3, Maine 2
                      I actually think Foster is a much better goaltender than Muse.

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
                        Your mom's not a very good goaltender 'cause I put it in her five hole a bunch of times last night.
                        Originally posted by Bakunin
                        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Do you have any stats to back that up with?

Muse 2.27 GAA to Foster's 2.75
                          Sv%, Muse .912, Foster .913 - wash

Muse's career record in the postseason: 12-1
                          Foster's is what? 2-5?
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                            Your mom's not a very good goaltender 'cause I put it in her five hole a bunch of times last night.
                            You're like the rake gag from The Simpsons. It's funny, then it gets repetitive.

And now it's back to ****ing hilarious.
                            Last edited by Terrier520; 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM. Reason: Never watch the news while surfing USCHO.
                            Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                            ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Based on what? I dont remember Foster ever winning a big game. (Even the regular season clincher vs. BC was a tie). Muse has won everything and his postseason stats are fantastic. Given the choice in this situation, I take Muse without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                                You're like the rake gag from The Simpsons. It's funny, then it gets representative.

And now it's back to ****ing hilarious.
                                Do you mean repetative? But what I do know is that your mom was representative last night.
                                Originally posted by Bakunin
                                Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Working...
                                X