X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wholin1
    replied
    Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

No matter how many tickets have been sold in the past, it's been my experience that the arena rarely has as many bodies as actual tickets sold. Many fans tend not to show up the first day until their team is playing if in the second session, and many leave after the first game if their team has played in that one. On the second day a good portion of the fans don't show if their team has been eliminated. To get a really good atmosphere I think they would need to sell a lot more session passes.

Leave a comment:

• aweise
    replied

Update on the ticket sales...

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...ategory=SPORTS

Leave a comment:

• aweise
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    How can it be against NCAA policies to sell alcohol when so many different places "get away with it?"

Please, people, don't post things as fact when you don't know for sure that they're fact.
    They haven't sold it at the regionals or Frozen Four ever since I've been going, but they definitely have done so at the ECACs in Albany (don't remember any in LP).

I thought I heard somewhere that it really is NCAA policy to not sell it at NCAA events. Since this is an ECAC event, perhaps those same restrictions don't apply?

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
    It's against NCAA policies to sell alcohol at any event. BU gets away with at Agganis Arena for some reason, but that's the only venue where I've seen it sold. That includes the Verizon Wireless Arena (NCAA Regionals) and the TD Banknorth Garden (Hockey East semis & finals).
    How can it be against NCAA policies to sell alcohol when so many different places "get away with it?"

Please, people, don't post things as fact when you don't know for sure that they're fact.

Leave a comment:

• unhpuckfan2001
    replied

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    They'll sell beer even though it's ECAC hockey, right?
    Haven't read the entire thread yet (but it sure is fun) so somebody else may have already responded . . .

It's against NCAA policies to sell alcohol at any event. BU gets away with at Agganis Arena for some reason, but that's the only venue where I've seen it sold. That includes the Verizon Wireless Arena (NCAA Regionals) and the TD Banknorth Garden (Hockey East semis & finals).

So, if they do have beer available . . . bully for you!

Leave a comment:

• Saints#1
    replied

Originally posted by TimV View Post
    I think it'll be a great tournament.

Brown is on a roll, has taken down two very strong teams and will probably, with Union, be very intense in their play. St Lawrence plays with a bit of an edge, has some great skaters, Coach Marsh, and a good fan base. Union has the best team they ever had, and have historically hung losses on Cornell even when Union was at the bottom of the league.

But what has history got to do with it? Maybe nuthin. But this year (2010), Cornell could only get a tie with both Union and SLU on Cornell's home ice, where they usually have a big crowd advantage.

I disagree with the assertions that Cornell-Brown will be "a snoozer" - Cornell plays a lot of one-goal games, and under those conditions, one bounce off a scramble in front erases 3 periods of hard checking, crease battles, and penalty kills. To me at least, defensive hockey can still be entertaining.

I really like the fact that three lower seeded teams are in it, and that these kids have a chance at last to be in big games, and that their mommas and poppas that have dealt with a lot of losses have a chance for some excitement.
    I agree that this championship weekend has the potential to be an exciting one. However, SLU and Cornell tied at Appleton not at Lynah. Only two of the teams this weekend didn't receive a bye for the playoffs which is what most would consider the determination of a lower seed. Even SLU, is only a five seed for the playoffs so not much of a lower seed themselves.

Leave a comment:

• TimV
    replied

I think it'll be a great tournament.

Brown is on a roll, has taken down two very strong teams and will probably, with Union, be very intense in their play. St Lawrence plays with a bit of an edge, has some great skaters, Coach Marsh, and a good fan base. Union has the best team they ever had, and have historically hung losses on Cornell even when Union was at the bottom of the league.

But what has history got to do with it? Maybe nuthin. But this year (2010), Cornell could only get a tie with both Union and SLU on Cornell's home ice, where they usually have a big crowd advantage.

I disagree with the assertions that Cornell-Brown will be "a snoozer" - Cornell plays a lot of one-goal games, and under those conditions, one bounce off a scramble in front erases 3 periods of hard checking, crease battles, and penalty kills. To me at least, defensive hockey can still be entertaining.

I really like the fact that (edit)two lower seeded teams are in it, and that these kids have a chance at last to be in big games, and that their mommas and poppas that have dealt with a lot of losses have a chance for some excitement.
    Last edited by TimV; 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    FWIW: Online, the best I can get as a single ticket right now is 111, row L. I know that likely doesn't tell the entire story, and that the 4 schools get 2 sections near each goal line/corner, however if a single can't be found on the sides...
    I seem to recall that in 2004 (Clarkson/Harvard/Dartmouth/Colgate) I bought tickets at the last minute and was in the upper deck.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    I think this year's draw is being greatly underestimated. I watched last year's games, and SLU and Cornell both brought very large contingents. The other two teams were Yale and Princeton, who probably brought a few hundred combined. This year however, we have Union, which should get at the least 1,500 or so. Brown won't travel well obviously, but the other three teams create possibly the best scenario not involving Clarkson or RPI.
    I personally felt Yale drew considerably well last year compared to what everybody was guessing going into the weekend. Obviously their performance has increased their fan support from their days of poor play earlier in the 00's, but I would have been looking forward to the potential crowd had they gotten past Brown.

I think SLU will bring +/- 1,000. That's generally what they have brought in the recent past when they have made it to Albany. Obviously, I would love to be closer to 1,500... but I just don't think its going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    FWIW: Online, the best I can get as a single ticket right now is 111, row L. I know that likely doesn't tell the entire story, and that the 4 schools get 2 sections near each goal line/corner, however if a single can't be found on the sides...
    I think this year's draw is being greatly underestimated. I watched last year's games, and SLU and Cornell both brought very large contingents. The other two teams were Yale and Princeton, who probably brought a few hundred combined. This year however, we have Union, which should get at the least 1,500 or so. Brown won't travel well obviously, but the other three teams create possibly the best scenario not involving Clarkson or RPI.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    Any word on how overall ticket sales are going?

Leave a comment:

• Wholin1
    replied

Any word on how overall ticket sales are going?

Leave a comment:

• aweise
    replied

Oh wow. So there's going to be no beer at the TUC? Gonna have to pre-game it hard. I thought for sure they would have it there. Ridiculous.
    Either last year or the year before, there was a Brooklyn Brewery stand on the Pearl St. end of the concourse...inside the arena. They only sold their lager and their stout, but I was able to enjoy a lager between games.

Don't hold your breath that will happen, but there is a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• jstadts
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    IIRC, it was the usual high school hoops stabbing.
    Correct, Albany High. or the" high" as the locals call it.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Oh wow. So there's going to be no beer at the TUC? Gonna have to pre-game it hard. I thought for sure they would have it there. Ridiculous.
    Flask!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X