X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

Originally posted by TimV View Post
    Some jerk negrepped me for this post.

Dear Jerk: The rep box relates to "approval" or "disapproval" of the post. What exactly did you disapprove of?

Your note said "Of course you disagree. It's what you do."

This just in: a discussion board is for ......discussion. Feel free to PM me and let me know what your beef is. And leave me some way to answer privately, if you dare.
    It was RC. How did you not figure that out? He's the one who said it would be a "snoozer," which is what you disagreed with. He does enjoy his petty torments.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      ECAC is a subset of NCAA (that whole square is a subset of a rectangle thing you learned back in 6th grade...), so that would not be a complete explanation.
      The NCAA has zero control over regular-season stuff. If I understand correctly they don't allow the sale of alcohol at its championships, which they do control.

At the MSG for the Red Hot Hockey this past November, beer was sold. At the Denver Cup January 09 at Magness (an on-campus arena), beer was sold. (RC also states that Magness sells beer during the regular season / WCHA play, too, so it wasn't just a one-off.)
      Magness sells cocktails and mixed drinks as well. I've also been to Mankato and Anchorage where they sell booze, and beer was available at Joe Louis Arena during GLI. I will be enjoying cold ones at the WCHA Final Five this weekend.
      Last edited by Red Cloud; 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
        According to this, the NCAA "recommends" not selling alcohol. However, what you may run into, for regular season games, is that alcohol is banned in most campus buildings -- which is why, as somebody mentioned, BU may get away with it, since they don't own Agannis. There may also be a "don't tick off the NCAA" thought process behind why many public arenas don't often sell beer (much to my dismay).
        Right, the NCAA "recommends" no alcohol, but they don't demand it. BU isn't "getting away" with anything.

As far as the ECAC is concerned, though, there's a blanket ban as far as I know. That would be why beer was available at the TUC during the Governor's Cup (it's not an ECAC building and they were non-conference games), but not during the ECAC Tournament (since it's a specifically ECAC event) or at ECAC buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Another reasopn we should move the tourney to Boston (Agannis Arena) where selling beer has been granfathered in....
          You really aren't paying attention, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            The NCAA has zero control over regular-season stuff. If I understand correctly they don't allow the sale of alcohol at its championships, which they do control.
            Aren't games played for 60 minutes, with three periods, and a set intermission length? Aren't they all played under the same rulebook?

I know there are differences in emphasis and other minor differences (shootouts, camera requirements), but doesn't that fall under the whole "subset" argument?
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

This is my understanding as well. In addition, isn't it the NCAA that mandates no ads on the boards during those same games?

I've been told that the ECAC bans the sale of alcohol to the public at any of its sanctioned events. At Quinnipiac you can get alcohol during the game in the posh University Club upstairs and in the Bobcat Club (usually in the basketball arena) as long as you're a member (or guest of one).
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
              Northeast Regional:
              West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                Aren't games played for 60 minutes, with three periods, and a set intermission length? Aren't they all played under the same rulebook?

I know there are differences in emphasis and other minor differences (shootouts, camera requirements), but doesn't that fall under the whole "subset" argument?
                I don't see what any of this has to do with alcohol sales policies.

Comment

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
                  It was RC. ... He does enjoy his petty torments.
                  He seems to like commenting "Grow up!" on my rep. I am in the red cloud of disapproval, it seems.

On a brighter note, I'm enjoying these discussions of the Friday/Saturday games. I am excited, nervous, pumped, and entirely distracted from what I should be doing right now. Everything depends on what teams "show up". And in the ECAC, that means anything can happen.

Comment

I don't see what any of this has to do with alcohol sales policies.
                    I was going by the fact that the game is played under ECAC and NCAA rules, that the ECAC is not completely separate from the NCAA. I thought this reasoning could semi-justifiably be expanded to alcohol policies as well.
                    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                      He seems to like commenting "Grow up!" on my rep. I am in the red cloud of disapproval, it seems.

On a brighter note, I'm enjoying these discussions of the Friday/Saturday games. I am excited, nervous, pumped, and entirely distracted from what I should be doing right now. Everything depends on what teams "show up". And in the ECAC, that means anything can happen.
                      I always like to say that the people who post on these boards and slam other people wouldn't have the stones to go up to someone in real life and say it. And if they did, well, then good for them - even if they're complete jerks, at least they had the stones to be jerks to someone's face.

Anyways, I think we're all indulging the petty arguments too much. Clearly, if it's attention that they want, giving them and talking about them gives them what they want (the old 4th grade corollary).

The argument about alcohol sales in Boston isn't entirely true. I've been going to Boston College athletics events for the better part of my entire life - they've never had alcohol sales at football, basketball, or hockey events. BU has a different set of rules because the arena itself isn't so much a hockey rink as it is a multipurpose event center with a management team that is not under the auspices of the BU athletics staff.

The arena itself is owned by Boston University, but the management and controlling interest is outsourced to an entity that is not Boston University Athletics. Whereas Conte Forum in Boston College, Schneider at PC, Meehan Auditorium at Brown, and places like them are under the direct control of the Associate AD-Facilities, respectively, BU has an entirely different general management staff that runs Agganis. Therefore, the alcohol regulations of the department do not apply.

The same goes for Providence College basketball vs. hockey. Basketball is at the Dunkin Donuts Center (Providence Civic Center), which has management not by the school, and alcohol is sold. Hockey is at Schneider Arena, which is governed by the athletics department and on campus, and alcohol is not sold.

Bear in mind as well that Agganis is not a hockey rink but a designated multiple purpose arena that is much like the Times Union Center, the TD Garden in Boston, or the Dunk.
                      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Flask!
                        RC is dead on with this. And Broadway Joe's is the arena's bar, its just outside the rink but still in the complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                          I always like to say that the people who post on these boards and slam other people wouldn't have the stones to go up to someone in real life and say it. And if they did, well, then good for them - even if they're complete jerks, at least they had the stones to be jerks to someone's face.
                          This is hilarious. I think it's fantastic that I'm living rent-free in all y'all's minds, just by virtue of being blunt, honest, and right, and nothing more.

Comment

I also love how one's feelings about another poster causes me neg rep. But I digress.

If you're that concerned about alcohol, pre-game! That's what MANY people do, even with the NHL because they don't want to pay $10 for a beer. Go to a nearby tavern, pound down two or three pints, and then go in to watch the game. Plus, once the final horn sounds, you'll also likely be in a state where many of us would feel more comfortable with you behind the wheel than had you had two beers during the game!

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                              Coaches picked SLU 10th.

(The USCHO season preview had them 11th, and the overall preseason media poll put them 7th.)
                              I'm getting my Tims mixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                I'm getting my Tims mixed up.
                                Easiest way to remember: TimU is green. I'm red.
                                A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X