Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
    Only two of the teams this weekend didn't receive a bye for the playoffs which is what most would consider the determination of a lower seed. Even SLU, is only a five seed for the playoffs so not much of a lower seed themselves.
    You're right. Should have said two. What was the SLU preseason predicted finish? Good luck to your team, I like their style.
    A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
      Exactly...it's twisting the numbers. There may end up being 7,000 people going through the turnstiles on Friday, but 2,000 Cornell fans might leave after their game and 1,000 Union fans won't show up until 6:30 or so.
      You're correct about this. However, I will say that I don't believe 7,000 tickets have ever been sold to the ECACs in the past. I'm pretty sure the attendance figures from last year are a measure of total fans that entered the building and 7,000 is a significant increase from 5,000. I think this year has the potential to provide the best atmosphere yet at this event.

Also, should Union make it to the finals against Cornell, I would expect lots of ticket sales from locals on Saturday given the game would be for a Union NCAA tournament berth. This also would have no conflict with a potential Siena second round game since I know they'd play on Sunday.

Comment

I believe NCAA rules are that no alcohol can be sold at an NCAA event on a college campus. This is off campus so they should be free and clear to do it. Siena sells beer at the TUC

Comment

Originally posted by soxrok3 View Post
          You're correct about this. However, I will say that I don't believe 7,000 tickets have ever been sold to the ECACs in the past. I'm pretty sure the attendance figures from last year are a measure of total fans that entered the building and 7,000 is a significant increase from 5,000. I think this year has the potential to provide the best atmosphere yet at this event.
          I was just throwing a number out there, not making a prediction as to the attendance figure. 7,000 would be huge compared to the past 3-4 years.

Originally posted by soxrok3 View Post
          Also, should Union make it to the finals against Cornell, I would expect lots of ticket sales from locals on Saturday given the game would be for a Union NCAA tournament berth. This also would have no conflict with a potential Siena second round game since I know they'd play on Sunday.
          You like to look ahead, don't you?
          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I do, aweise. Perhaps because I'm not a Union fan I'm not all that superstitious, but I understand that you don't like to!

However, now thinking about it, if a bunch of SLU fans were to leave (potentially, obviously) sales from Union people may only replace these fans rather than increase total attendance. I guess we can discuss it at length on Friday evening should it occur!

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
              You're right. Should have said two. What was the SLU preseason predicted finish? Good luck to your team, I like their style.
              Coaches picked SLU 10th.

(The USCHO season preview had them 11th, and the overall preseason media poll put them 7th.)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                How can it be against NCAA policies to sell alcohol when so many different places "get away with it?"
                You get away with it the same way players get away with hits from behind, slashing, or any infraction during the game - you don't get caught.

After a bit of searching, this is what I came up with; the NCAA site wouldn't give me a direct answer. The link below doesn't have a published date, but hopefully it'll clear up the alcohol debate. It's the third bullet down:

http://ccsap.wsu.edu/default.asp?PageID=3352

According to this, the NCAA "recommends" not selling alcohol. However, what you may run into, for regular season games, is that alcohol is banned in most campus buildings -- which is why, as somebody mentioned, BU may get away with it, since they don't own Agannis. There may also be a "don't tick off the NCAA" thought process behind why many public arenas don't often sell beer (much to my dismay).

Please, people, don't post things as fact when you don't know for sure that they're fact.
                I agree; when debating/discussing something like this, post a link, or cite a source. To support my statement, see the above link, or read on. I asked the director of the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH about it; he said, "the NCAA tells us to not sell alcohol." I know it leans towards he said / she said, but since they host NCAA Hockey Regionals every other year (and just won the bid through 2017), I figured he knew what he was talking about.

A quick note: from reading the rest of the thread, I'm sure many people rolled their eyes, or took exception to Red Cloud's comments -- it's a common theme in thread. I, for one, and with him with just about every post. I actually expected the type of response I got -- if I had the chance earlier, I would have posted the research / link in my original post. In short, if he expects a bit of credibility, respect, and consistency from other posters, I don't think that makes him superior, or a jerk. Just my two cents.

And now, back to hockey. GO BIG RED.
                I haven't been on here in a year...
                Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  I think this year's draw is being greatly underestimated. I watched last year's games, and SLU and Cornell both brought very large contingents. The other two teams were Yale and Princeton, who probably brought a few hundred combined. This year however, we have Union, which should get at the least 1,500 or so. Brown won't travel well obviously, but the other three teams create possibly the best scenario not involving Clarkson or RPI.
                  Union will draw at least 2000 and most likely more. Union gets 2000 at a regular season game.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
                    Union will draw at least 2000 and most likely more. Union gets 2000 at a regular season game.
                    This has been mentioned many times. The question remains, how many of those fans at the Union games are fans of the opposing team? Some schools travel very well.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                      I thought I heard somewhere that it really is NCAA policy to not sell it at NCAA events. Since this is an ECAC event, perhaps those same restrictions don't apply?
                      ECAC is a subset of NCAA (that whole square is a subset of a rectangle thing you learned back in 6th grade...), so that would not be a complete explanation.

At the MSG for the Red Hot Hockey this past November, beer was sold. At the Denver Cup January 09 at Magness (an on-campus arena), beer was sold. (RC also states that Magness sells beer during the regular season / WCHA play, too, so it wasn't just a one-off.)

These are the only personal experiences I have to go on.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                        This has been mentioned many times. The question remains, how many of those fans at the Union games are fans of the opposing team? Some schools travel very well.
                        Taking away the Clarkson and RPI games, Union was getting at least 2,000 per game down the stretch...those being games in January and February when the buzz started picking up - Union being nationally ranked and at/near the top of the standings. Those games were Harvard, Dartmouth, SLU, Princeton, and Quinnipiac (Senior night).

SLU and Q had representation, but not so much that it felt like the Cornell crowd was in town. None of the other three travel well at all.

I don't know how many seats the allocated sections contain, but I would not be surprised to see sections 102-103 pretty close to full, if not completely.
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                          How about the fact that the home schedule for UC was announced in August and people had plenty of time to arrange their schedules while no one knew if the Dutchmen would be playing in Albany until Sunday at 9?
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Also have to keep in mind that it will be difficult for most people to see the 4:00pm game on Friday. I would like to see it but don't get out of work in time. It's probably the case for many others too.

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
                              I think it'll be a great tournament.

Brown is on a roll, has taken down two very strong teams and will probably, with Union, be very intense in their play. St Lawrence plays with a bit of an edge, has some great skaters, Coach Marsh, and a good fan base. Union has the best team they ever had, and have historically hung losses on Cornell even when Union was at the bottom of the league.

But what has history got to do with it? Maybe nuthin. But this year (2010), Cornell could only get a tie with both Union and SLU on Cornell's home ice, where they usually have a big crowd advantage.

I disagree with the assertions that Cornell-Brown will be "a snoozer" - Cornell plays a lot of one-goal games, and under those conditions, one bounce off a scramble in front erases 3 periods of hard checking, crease battles, and penalty kills. To me at least, defensive hockey can still be entertaining.

I really like the fact that two lower seeded teams are in it, and that these kids have a chance at last to be in big games, and that their mommas and poppas that have dealt with a lot of losses have a chance for some excitement.
                              Some jerk negrepped me for this post.

Dear Jerk: The rep box relates to "approval" or "disapproval" of the post. What exactly did you disapprove of?

Your note said "Of course you disagree. It's what you do."

This just in: a discussion board is for ......discussion. Feel free to PM me and let me know what your beef is. And leave me some way to answer privately, if you dare.
                              A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

How can it be against NCAA policies to sell alcohol when so many different places "get away with it?"

Please, people, don't post things as fact when you don't know for sure that they're fact.
                                Another reasopn we should move the tourney to Boston (Agannis Arena) where selling beer has been granfathered in....

Comment

Working...
                                X