Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    You're either underestimating Cornell's support or overestimating Union's. I'll go for the former, since we don't have a sample of what Union would bring to the table.
    Agreed - also misunderstanding the nature of Cornell's support. Distance from their campus isn't as relevant as it would be for most other teams. The size of the Union contingent relative to Cornell's will not necessarily say anything about Union fans.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      Agreed - also misunderstanding the nature of Cornell's support. Distance from their campus isn't as relevant as it would be for most other teams. The size of the Union contingent relative to Cornell's will not necessarily say anything about Union fans.

I appreciate your responses.

However, I have not misunderstood how much support Union or Cornell will have. Let me preface this by saying that I have been to every ECAC Semifinal and Final since it has been in Albany. I'm fully aware what Cornell brings to the table in terms of attendance and support. While I'm EXTREMELY impressed that they come all the way to Albany, I think Union is capable of outdrawing them. If they drew 2,000 to their last two home games, what would prevent MORE of their fans from coming to two games that mean even more? Plus, I would imagine a few hundred "bandwagon" Union alumni coming out to support their school. Also, like I said, it WOULD be sad should Union not outdraw Cornell, considering the circumstances of this being "the greatest year in Union hockey history" (as some have put it in their thread) and the arena being a stones throw from their campus. Never have I estimated that this would happen, however, since their campus is "10x" closer to Albany than Cornell, I would in fact, label it "sad" should this not occur.

Also, being an Albany native, I'd like to add that I've waited 8 years for a local team to be in the Final Four. Now that its arrived, should Union not outdraw Cornell, I personally would be a bit disappointed.

Regardless of what happens, I am happy to see Union there because no matter what, it will attract more people to this great hockey event.

Comment

Originally posted by soxrok3 View Post

Also, being an Albany native, I'd like to add that I've waited 8 years for a local team to be in the Final Four. Now that its arrived, should Union not outdraw Cornell, I personally would be a bit disappointed.
        Well, prepare to be disappointed.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I'll be headed to Albany for this great event. So far SLU and Cornell have clinched berths to the Semi-finals with two series being decided tonight! Whose planning on going? Is the venue nice? (I've heard good things). Will the attendance be high? Let me know I'm VERY excited!!!!
          Originally posted by soxrok3
          I have been to every ECAC Semifinal and Final since it has been in Albany.

Comment

For a variety of reasons over the last few years , I have been amongst those who have lamented the ECACs being in Albany and the overall lack of atmosphere at the TUC. But ever since the ECAC announced the tourney is moving to Atlantic City after this year, I find myself thrilled to be making the drive to Albany for the third time in four years.

The TUC never looked so good. LOL.

Maybe that's just because my kid is a senior and the college hockey ride is almost over. Or maybe it's because getting to the ECAC final four is such a pleasant surprise for a team that wasn't pegged to do much.

Whatever the reason, Albany and the TUC are going to be like home, sweet home this week. The fact SLU gets the night game on Friday and against an opponent that could draw a few fans makes it even better.

Wow, I am getting all sentimental. I might even tear up. What's next? A group hug with Red Cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
              Yeah...Somethings up.
              LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
                Wow, I am getting all sentimental. I might even tear up. What's next? A group hug with Red Cloud?
                Bob, that could've been arranged when you were in Troy.
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

I, too, wish the ECAC tourney was staying in Albany (for obvious reasons). Honestly, it makes the most sense. I'm saying this despite the fact that this will most likely be my last year living in the capital district since I will be graduating from Union in June (next year I'll be living in or around NYC). Albany is basically the center of the ECAC in terms of location. That reason alone is good enough to keep the tournament there.

Albany is 4 hours from Clarkson. Atlantic City is 8 hours from Clarkson.
                  Albany is 4 hours from SLU. Atlantic City is 8 hours from SLU.
                  Albany is 3 hours from Dartmouth. Atlantic City is 6 hours from Dartmouth.
                  Albany is 3 hours from Harvard. Atlantic City is 5.5 hours from Harvard
                  Albany is 3 hours from Cornell. Atlantic City is 5.5 hours from Cornell.
                  Albany is 3 hours from Brown. Atlantic City is 5 hours from Brown.
                  Albany is 3 hours from Princeton. Atlantic City is 1.5 hours from Princeton.
                  Albany is 2.5 hours from Yale. Atlantic City is 3.5 hours from Yale.
                  Albany is 2.5 hours from Quinny. Atlantic City is 3.5 hours from Quinny.
                  Albany is 2 hours from Colgate. Atlantic City is 5.5 hours from Colgate.
                  Albany is 20 minutes from Union. Atlantic City is 4.5 hours from Union.
                  Albany is 10 minutes from RPI. Atlantic City is 4.5 hours from RPI.

In conclusion, Atlantic City is much farther than Albany for every school except for Princeton. I think attendance is going to be even worse with this move.
                  LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

rpi is the only team never to have made it to albany for final four
                    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

For those of you concerned "something is up" to quote UnionHockeyManiac, my original post was to begin this thread and to hopefully garner a discussion of the participating teams, the venue and the ECAC as a whole.

Forgive me.

However, I have been to the event since it began in Albany 8 years ago. I am well versed in everything TUC, ECAC and Albany, NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        Well, prepare to be disappointed.
                        I am disappointed. I am disappointed that RPI could not advance past the 1st round against a team with a substantially worse seed and record on their home ice.

Obviously, RPI would have put more fans in the seats. Therefore, I am disappointed in the team you defend on this forum, Seth Appert, and every player on RPI's roster.

Comment

I am disappointed. I am disappointed that RPI could not advance past the 1st round against a team with a substantially worse seed and record on their home ice.

Obviously, RPI would have put more fans in the seats. Therefore, I am disappointed in the team you defend on this forum, Seth Appert, and every player on RPI's roster.
                          Oh, now we're going to play this petulant little game. I'm not into it.

No one is taunting you over the fact that Cornell will probably still outdraw Union this weekend. It's just the way things are - Cornell draws extremely well for these events and it's unlikely that Union, who usually can't sell out its small rink, will draw enough casual fans to the TUC to outnumber Cornell. I don't like it any more than you do, but it's the truth.

I swear, sometimes cheering for Union can be such a hassle. Fortunately, there are enough fans who don't resort to childish stuff like this every time they don't get their way that it is indeed worthwhile.

RPI has nothing to do with the fact that Cornell will outdraw Union this weekend. Sorry. Apparently you're not as well in tune with the TUC or the ECAC as you thought you were.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
                            I'm all about group hugs, Bob.

Comment

Both Cornell and Union will be on Spring Break for the tournament. Cornell's alumni faction will easily outdraw the alumni / local contingent of Union.

If you're suggesting that the "ZOMG, they've never made it!! Awesome things will happen!!1!eleventy-one!" factor will make a difference in the Union-related attendance, you seriously overestimate the casual Albany fan's interest in college hockey. Period.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                Both Cornell and Union will be on Spring Break for the tournament. Cornell's alumni faction will easily outdraw the alumni / local contingent of Union.

If you're suggesting that the "ZOMG, they've never made it!! Awesome things will happen!!1!eleventy-one!" factor will make a difference in the Union-related attendance, you seriously overestimate the casual Albany fan's interest in college hockey. Period.
                                Yeah, but you're forgetting one thing, burgie. RPI lost at home to a weaker team in the playoffs. Clearly a factor in Union outdrawing Cornell.

Comment

Working...
                                X