Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    Not going to go into bash mode here, but these are the same locals who wouldn't go to Albany for the Governor's Cup and won't go to Troy despite it being, for all intents and purposes, right down the road. You have to understand why people would be skeptical.
    Completely understood. Perhaps the locals didn't go to the Governor's Cup because it was a "bragging rights" tournament played in October (against teams they were going to play later in the season, anyway) that had no effect on the conference standings. As for Troy, I don't have an answer. At least this year, it was a mid-week game on a day where the weather wasn't real conducive to happily driving around town.

At the risk of sounding fair-weather and making assumptions, what I imagine many locals could be thinking is that there's an ECAC championship involved here - unlike games in Troy or the Governor's Cup. When is the last time Union could say that?
    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
      Anyway: Back to our discussion of the ECAC semifinals/finals in Albany! Remind me which horse you have in this race.
      Ooh, that was original. Taunts, just after your impassioned pleas that you aren't just another n00b.

It's been fun. I'll miss having you around.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

FlagDUDE, let me channel my inner Red Cloud: I DONT CARE HOW MY POSTS SEEM TO OTHER PEOPLE!!!! I DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY THEREFORE THAT'S NOT HOW IT IS!!!! MAKE UP WHATEVER YOU WANT IN YOUR HEAD BUT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT ME!!!!

I'm sorry if that's how it seemed. I didn't mean it in that sense. I do think long term as well and am very excited for next season based on what I saw throughout this year. I just thought they were capable of making it to Albany and did not follow through, as I'm sure you did too.

Comment

In the Cornell/Brown game, I have Cornell. Brown played well against Yale and RPI, but Cornell is a very different team that plays a different style game. However, if Clemente is on his game and Brown works the puck in the chances they get in the offensive zone, they will definitely have a good chance to win.

In the SLU/Union game, I have SLU. I'll admit that it is a toss-up because they split the series (IIRC, SLU beat Union at Messa, I don't have it in front of me). Yes, Union will have a good home crowd, but based upon how the regular season went, home field was a bit of a curse.

Comment

Originally posted by soxrok3 View Post
            Yes, thank you Red Cloud. That was the post I was referencing as well. As I said, I was disappointed with the result of RPI hockey this year. THE RESULT, which I immediately followed up by referencing their 1st round playoff loss.

I guess for you that requires an in depth explanation: Despite the fact that they performed so well in the regular season and accomplished many things, they still lost in the first round of the playoffs. THAT WAS DISAPPOINTING!
            So in other words, like we said, you're condensing the entire season into one playoff weekend. Where's the argument?

Your "in-depth" explanation pretty much just confirms what we've been saying. Either that, or you still are having a hard time communicating your point. If your point is that it was a disappointing WEEKEND, no one is going to argue with you. It's always disappointing losing to an inferior team you should have beaten. When you then take that and apply it to the rest of the season, though, it seems fairly laughable for most of us. I hope you understand. At any rate, you seem very hung up on the result of one weekend's worth of games.

Comment

FlagDUDE, let me channel my inner Red Cloud: I DONT CARE HOW MY POSTS SEEM TO OTHER PEOPLE!!!! I DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY THEREFORE THAT'S NOT HOW IT IS!!!! MAKE UP WHATEVER YOU WANT IN YOUR HEAD BUT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT ME!!!!
              I've never written in all caps before. You might be channeling something else.

This obsession you have with me in your posts... I must say, I'm quite flattered.

Comment

I'm sorry if that's how it seemed. I didn't mean it in that sense. I do think long term as well and am very excited for next season based on what I saw throughout this year. I just thought they were capable of making it to Albany and did not follow through, as I'm sure you did too.
                Red Cloud yells and speaks about himself?

Based on the way the entire season went, I had some reservations about the second round. Obviously we didn't get there, so any feelings I had about our chances to get to Albany could not be brought to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Based on the way the entire season went, I had some reservations about the second round. Obviously we didn't get there, so any feelings I had about our chances to get to Albany could not be brought to mind.
                  Wow. I thought you were capable of thinking long term?

Comment

This guy seems very, very angry about something. What it is, I can't quite put my finger on. I might be part of it, he seems very fixated with me, but I'm not 100% sure why.

Comment

In the SLU/Union game, I have SLU. I'll admit that it is a toss-up because they split the series (IIRC, SLU beat Union at Messa, I don't have it in front of me). Yes, Union will have a good home crowd, but based upon how the regular season went, home field was a bit of a curse.
                      Actually, Union swept the season series. Both teams played pretty evenly against each other - Union won 4-3 in Canton and 4-2 in Schenectady.
                      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

SLU did not beat Union this year.
                        11/13/2009 - Union 4, SLU 3
                        02/06/2010 - Union 4, SLU 2

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                          Actually, Union swept the season series. Both teams played pretty evenly against each other - Union won 4-3 in Canton and 4-2 in Schenectady.
                          It's almost assured to be the better game on Friday for a number of reasons, not the least of which is this - the teams match up well together. Union is balls-out offense with good defense, SLU is usually balls-out defense with good offense. Throw in a pair of good games that the teams have played this season and a more-than-likely snoozer in the 1/4 game, and you've got the better contest.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                            OK, my mistake. However, I still think it's a bit of a toss-up. Yes, Union played well against SLU, but SLU's stick-checking (I can't remember if it's forecheck or backcheck) is very difficult to beat. It will be a fun one; I may have to tune in if they show the series on TW Syracuse; I don't have NHL Network.

Comment

Wow. I thought you were capable of thinking long term?
                              Yes. Unfortunately, because our opponent was not pre-determined had we won the series against Brown, and our match-up against the potential teams was quite different, it would have been impossible to make a prediction. From the beginning of the season after watching a few games, the inconsistencies of the team made it difficult to see the possibility of making it to Albany in the long-term.

Comment

I know the scheduled game 2 start is 7:00, but isn't likely that it will be closer to 7:30? I have to make a pickup at Amtrak at about 6:30 or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X